• Psychedelic Drugs Welcome Guest
    View threads about
    Posting RulesBluelight Rules
    PD's Best Threads Index
    Social ThreadSupport Bluelight
    Psychedelic Beginner's FAQ

Don't like music when I'm tripping, anyone else?

scarymountain

Greenlighter
When I'm sober/on other drugs I loooooooove music. When I'm tripping though, even just on, say, 10mg 2C-B, I find music to be way too stimulating/kind of annoying :?

well, its all about the type of music.
I mainly listen to kettel and ambiant stuff and anything to powerful or upbeat stresses me.
try ambient music and downtempo music

I know what you mean. I usually like music while tripping, but sometimes I get into this weird space where the music is weird and annoying and sounds all wrong. Then I just turn it off cause I can't enjoy it at all.

What kind of music are you trying to listen to scarymountain?

I personally love music on psychedelics, I can't stand music on stimulants tho.

Depends on a lot of things I guess... Usually I like music whilst tripping, although at times it can be too intense, or I become to focused on sounds that are irritating.

Definitely is a different selection to what I like sober, and some psychs are better for it than others. Listened to Sigur ros' album Takk 3 times in a row while on AL-LAD recently- it was amazing! However when sober lately I've mainly been listening to/making electronic music which I didn't particularly enjoy while tripping.

Like someone else said, unfamiliar music can be better. Also +1 to ambient etc, I find it really boring usually but tripping it can be a non-invasive way to influence your mood in a positive direction.

I couldn't imagine tripping without music.

I listen to a lot of hip hop. When I'm sober I tend to listen to more hardcore/gangsta rap and when I'm tripping I gravitate more towards more slow and bassy stuff like dirty south and chopped and screwed. I love the sound of Bun B's voice when I'm tripping.

Depends on a lot of things I guess... Usually I like music whilst tripping, although at times it can be too intense, or I become to focused on sounds that are irritating.

I was going to type that :D - the 'usually' has a lot of factors (set, setting, how far you are etc). Sometimes, I love being able to hear nothing except myself?

I enjoy most kinds of music whether tripping or not. Of course what music I want to listen to depends on my mood at the time... and tripping can certainly change my preferences. However I've listened to and enjoyed all the kinds of music I normally like while tripping at various times. I don't always listen to music when I trip but it's one of my favorite things to do while tripping. Sometimes I just like to listen to nature though... if I'm out in nature I rarely ever listen to music, whether sober or tripping. Nature is music. :)

I generally don't listen to music when I'm tripping; but then I generally don't listen to music at all. It's just not enjoyable any more.

Kinda sad considering I've got all these CD's lying around....

Tom

I think to a degree it depends on the psychedelic you're taking.
As far as 5-HT psychedelics go; I've had LSD, 2C-E, DOM, 25I (yuck), mushrooms, 4-AcO-DMT and DPT.

2C-E is hands down the best music enhancing psychedelic for me... the musical synesthesia I get off it is just incredible. DOM has a similar effect but to a much lesser degree (for me that stuff is basically just silly speed).

LSD, 4-AcO-DMT and mushrooms are also great for music appreciation but I tend to get fussy.

For some reason DPT seems to really fuck with the way I interpret music. Most music tends to get on my nerves when I'm on it - even a lot of my favourite tracks can sound really annoying.
I have no idea why but the track 'Subculture' by Styles of Beyond (anyone remember Tony Hawks Pro Skater 2?) just sounds absolutely amazing to me after a fat line of DPT. The track itself is pretty good - nothing special - but for some reason it seems to be my favourite song whenever I'm on that drug.

What music do you listen to? (Some) Grateful Dead is great. Not to sound so cliche... I am not even a huge fan myself, I sometimes find there music to be corny/cheezy. But their anthemn of the sun & aoxomoxoa is really good.

& have you ever tried listening to music on mushrooms instead? It is great (in my opinion.) I'm not familiar with those kind of psychedelics, to be honest I thought they were classified as amphetamines.

tryptamines are ime bit to profound for me anymore to really listen to music on the peak. im lost in reality of my mental formation and even music I find distracting and music is good but Im not too interested. I prefer listening to wild life documentary and stuff like that.
mescaline/2 ce is my favorite for indulging in music and arts

I coulnt imagine anyone not falling in love with kettel- volleyed iron though on any psy.

Yes, all music seems to be bad on psychedelics. I try to think of who would be good to listen to and I can't think of anything. And not only that but every TV channel also sucks. I can flip through every one and they are all something bad, especially CNN. Once I was really high and that Syrian gas attack came on CNN. You don't notice how objectionable most stuff on TV is until you're high on psychedelics. Paranormal shows are also really bad. I saw one recently about the "Dybbuk Box", a Jewish wine box that came from Poland and which has a demon trapped in it by a ritual and then somebody bought it and opened it and it caused a bunch of scary stuff to happen. Then he sold it on eBay and it messed up a bunch of other people. Finally somebody bought it and hid it away somewhere so nobody could open it. Look it up, it's creepy as hell. I was glad I was straight when I watched that one.

What music do you listen to? (Some) Grateful Dead is great. Not to sound so cliche... I am not even a huge fan myself, I sometimes find there music to be corny/cheezy. But their anthemn of the sun & aoxomoxoa is really good.

& have you ever tried listening to music on mushrooms instead? It is great (in my opinion.) I'm not familiar with those kind of psychedelics, to be honest I thought they were classified as amphetamines.
Sorry, were you replying to me? The only drug I mentioned that is chemically an amphetamine is DOM.
2C-E is a phenethylamine (as is the bullshit chemical that is 25I), 4-AcO-DMT is a prodrug to psilocin (shrooms), DPT is a powerful tryptamine similar to DMT, and LSD is... well it's just LSD.
Shrooms are great for music appreciation - to me they're on par with LSD and 4-AcO-DMT (surprise surprise). That said and IME, no drug has shit on 2C-E in this respect.

Oh any 95% of the music I listen to is hip-hop (of all varieties). When I'm tripping I'm drawn to slower, bassier tracks. Psychedelics got me into southern hip hop (UGK, 8Ball & MJG, Paul Wall etc.) and the chopped and screwed style.
That said, UK Garage is also fucking great to listen to while tripping... it's just a shame there are hardly any decent new tracks out there. That always makes for a happy and lively trip.

I've tried to listen to enough Grateful Dead tracks (sober and tripping) to realize that it's just not my kind of thing.

I can understand what you mena, most music irritates me on a psy, but not all.

im a avid music listener sober or not, psy are amazing with music and greatly changed my appreciation of music and made me discover the true love and gift and dedication some musicians put into there arts for our appreciation. A true gift some musician are.
but id agree, most music isnt made with love and dedication so its sounds like big ego music and so is untolerable on psy.
but not all music for me and the best music will shine even more on a psy
try welcome-coltrane next time you trip
Yes, all music seems to be bad on psychedelics. I try to think of who would be good to listen to and I can't think of anything. And not only that but every TV channel also sucks. I can flip through every one and they are all something bad, especially CNN. Once I was really high and that Syrian gas attack came on CNN. You don't notice how objectionable most stuff on TV is until you're high on psychedelics. Paranormal shows are also really bad. I saw one recently about the "Dybbuk Box", a Jewish wine box that came from Poland and which has a demon trapped in it by a ritual and then somebody bought it and opened it and it caused a bunch of scary stuff to happen. Then he sold it on eBay and it messed up a bunch of other people. Finally somebody bought it and hid it away somewhere so nobody could open it. Look it up, it's creepy as hell. I was glad I was straight when I watched that one.

Last edited:
I agree that 2C-E is one of if not the greatest musical (and sound in general) enhancers.

I agree that television and movies are generally not desirable on psychedelics, but music is a different matter. Many of my most profound trips have been pushed into profound territory because of music. An exception to the TV rule for me however was the show Cosmos... either the original or the new one. I spent a DOC trip watching all 10 episodes of the new one and it was phenomenally rewarding.

I generally don't listen to music when I'm tripping; but then I generally don't listen to music at all. It's just not enjoyable any more.

Kinda sad considering I've got all these CD's lying around....

Tom

Wow, really? 8o I can't imagine not listening to music. It's one of the great magical things in existence. The most direct and profound art form IMO.