• Cannabis Discussion Welcome Guest
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules

Don't know how to roll

President_Red

Bluelighter
Okay my question is any long term stoners just never really learned how to roll? I been smoking on and off mostly on for about 5 years and just really always used pipes or bongs. Anyone else just never learned how to roll?

Okay my question is any long term stoners just never really learned how to roll? I been smoking on and off mostly on for about 5 years and just really always used pipes or bongs. Anyone else just never learned how to roll?

I'm sure you can roll; it's probably just a shitty roll. Practice makes perfect. If you want to roll better, then roll some now and then and you'll improve. In my mind, this is not a binary you can roll or you can't. Also, there's nothing wrong with pipes and bongs. One can live a complete life without ever rolling a J.

I've been smoking for years and I have no clue how to roll. I generally only smoke in social situations, so there's always someone around to roll for me.

Anyone can roll with one of these things though...

Rolling_machine_regular.jpg

As others have its largely a matter of practice and to be quite honest once you get it, it is the type of skill that never really leaves you. Depending on what you are rolling with, brand paper, size, tobacco or actual paper, will dictate how hard you can handle it and how much area you have to work with. When I was first starting i would roll tobacco up and dismantle what i rolled and try again.

Once you get one that burns and works well enough you can work on tweaking the technique and getting better. But I actually learned maybe 6 months after starting because i would find myself in a situation with my best friend at the time when his older brother wasnt around to roll one for us so i felt it was a requirement to make the whole thing easy.

yea practice, you really have to smoke what you've rolled a few times before you get a sense for how the little things affect the quality of the joint. Roll it too loose and you'll have embers falling out constantly, roll it too tight and it will be hard to keep lit, roll it unevenly and it will canoe to one side, etc. Then there's a matter of what tools or "crutches" you use as well. I've never rolled joints with tobacco but have had pretty good success rolling pure-herb joints using filter tips and a poker to pack down the herb, also using ground herb that's been allowed to dry a bit helps keep a well-packed joint burning nicely, the AAA strains that are so resinous they hold their shape if you squeeze the nug between your fingers are best enjoyed by other means..

I've been smoking for years and I have no clue how to roll. I generally only smoke in social situations, so there's always someone around to roll for me.

Anyone can roll with one of these things though...

Rolling_machine_regular.jpg

I roll an awesome (in my opinion) joint and blunt, but I bought a RAW kit that had a perfect roller in it a few months back. Never really liked whiteboys/joints before, but I started using that cigarette roller for my tree and god damn I'll never look back.

The only time I don't use it when I'm smoking a joint is when I'm just trying to dome a little pinner real quick, or I wanna roll a blunt.

Seriously. Even if a person can roll, I recommend checking out these cigarette rollers. idk about the Rizzla brand, but my Raw ones work like they're fucking magic or something. They're simple as fuck to use, too.

It's a skill you inevitably pick up if you do it long enough.

^Agreed.

idk, I just love my perfect roller. That shit pops out king size joints that outburn some of my folks' fucking dutches, even when I use less weed than them. It's crazy.

Also helps me feel less paranoid when I'm smoking a joint that looks like a cigarette in public.

k, i'm done sounding like a commercial.

damn I learned how to roll within the first month of starting to smoke weed. I remember it taking me 30min+ to roll one joint on time because I was with a girl who didn't smoke and she made it very clear how long it took me. Now I'm usually the designated roller because I can consistently roll joints that burn right, takes a few minutes. Practice makes perfect with this kind of thing. A nice grinder and a gentle touch are key.

on a side note, I have no idea how to use a roller. tried once and failed. idk...

Its not as hard as you think, i taught myself how to roll with tobacco and also a joint roller helped me get the proper roll technique going on, although if you get a roller you wont need to hand roll and will get a proper joint everytime. Get tobacco and practice, and i found out more moist bud rolls easier than dry bud, also leave it in tiny tiny nugs dont break it to shake untill you can roll, just line it up even, use your nails and tuck it in, then roll, simple as that, with a blunt it works better rolling inch by inch, but id suggest watching youtube videos on rolling or just getting a roller or pipe.

When I started smoking in October 1984 I couldn't roll. Never was able to. And now, 31+ years later I can't roll. From my perspective it doesn't mean anything. In 1984 it was recreational; I let other people roll. Now, in 2016 it's medical and I need the wallop that a bong can provide. It's all I use and it doesn't bother me.

Tom

Give this a run and I am confident you'll roll. This should be a breeze.

Wiki How said:
Rolling a Joint With a Dollar Bill

This is a simple technique used by beginners. If you're a novice or have trouble with freestyle rolling, using a dollar bill is a good way to start.

728px-Roll-a-Marijuana-Joint-Step-6.jpg

1 Load a dollar bill with your mix and shape it by gently rolling back and forth.

728px-Roll-a-Marijuana-Joint-Step-7.jpg

2 Put a rolling paper sticky side up between your mix and the dollar bill.

728px-Roll-a-Marijuana-Joint-Step-8.jpg

3 Fold the bill in half and roll it upward with your thumbs. Make sure that the rolling paper is wrapping around itself to form a cylinder.

728px-Roll-a-Marijuana-Joint-Step-9.jpg

4 Remove the joint from the dollar bill. Keep firm pressure on the paper so that it doesn't unravel.

728px-Roll-a-Marijuana-Joint-Step-10.jpg

5 Lick the sticky strip of the paper and seal the marijuana cigarette. Lightly twist both ends to keep your mix from falling out.
http://www.wikihow.com/Roll-a-Marijuana-Joint

When I started smoking in October 1984 I couldn't roll. Never was able to. And now, 31+ years later I can't roll. From my perspective it doesn't mean anything. In 1984 it was recreational; I let other people roll. Now, in 2016 it's medical and I need the wallop that a bong can provide. It's all I use and it doesn't bother me.

Tom

Not trying to tell you what to do, but if you ever do want the occasional joint and simply can't or don't because of the reasons you just stated, I'd look into getting a cigarette/perfect roller. They're cheap as fuck, dude, and, the Raw ones at least, seem to last forever.

Not trying to press you into it or anything, I'm just puttin' the option out there if it's something you ever think about.

I use one of those RAW rollers and love it. I can roll a joint that smokes without the roller but it takes me 4x longer and sometimes I fail. It doesn't give you as much leeway with sizing but that's it, otherwise it's just easy.

I do sometimes wish I could roll though, especially fat joints. I know an old dude that rolls perfect fat joints that are the size of my pinky, I kinda wish I could do that. Or my friend rolls nice small joints, also a useful skill... But mine work and that's what matters.

Not trying to tell you what to do, but if you ever do want the occasional joint and simply can't or don't because of the reasons you just stated, I'd look into getting a cigarette/perfect roller. They're cheap as fuck, dude, and, the Raw ones at least, seem to last forever.

Not trying to press you into it or anything, I'm just puttin' the option out there if it's something you ever think about.

I've got a few Raw rollers and you're right; they are easy to use, As you mention cheap; I think I picked the rollers up for 6.95 (?) and the replacement roller screens are 3/6$ or something like that. They do roll really impressive looking joints for sure, and it was easy to whip up a bunch for when people come over. One local shop was offering package deals with the rollers. some screens and a really nice enamelled Raw rolling tray. Joints are good for when hiking with the dogs.

Tom

Thanks btw, If the Liberals stop dragging their asses on legalization I hope to be able to buy pre rolls in my liquor stores before the end of 2016 :)

An update I finally learned how to roll and its really nothing too it if I would have ever just sat down and tried without worrying I would waste bud. I can roll blunts (white grape white owl) being my favorite and easiest. As far as joints go I find a bit more challenging to get rolled tight.

Give it a month or two of rolling joints and you'll be able to do it in the dark while driving a car... not that you should.

i learned to roll using the dollar bill method mentioned above. now i can roll perfect joints and cigs

With devices that exist today, I think that there isn't actually a need to learn to roll but I find it enjoyable as I'm sure many other stoners do. Plus once you get good at it you can start trying more complex rolls like the cross joint, etc. It's just a skill that could come in handy now and then but isn't a necessity.