• DPMC Moderators: thegreenhand | tryptakid
  • Drug Policy & Media Coverage Welcome Guest
    View threads about
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
    Drug Busts Megathread Video Megathread

Don’t Harsh Our Mellow, Dude (NY Times)

The comment was just an observation exploring quality control and the likelihood of overdose in relation to another drug.

Ahh, I thought you were being sarcastic and poking fun at the idea of labeling. My apologies!

if someone is a stereotypical stoner to the point of saying "don't harsh my mellow" it's time to "harsh their mellow" and slam your fist in their face.

This isn't a fucking ''hit piece,'' it's a reasonable call for better regulation.

Personally I think this piece is neither one of those things, but something in between. I'm perfectly in agreement that the industry should be well-regulated. I'm just so tired of reading about "the dark side of Cannabis legalization" when it's fucking cloud-cuckoo-land compared to prohibition or the dark side of alcohol use.

The coffee in this instance was very near water's boiling point, and caused 3rd degree burns on contact! I also read that the manager altered the machine so that it would be even hotter than the manufacturer's preset maximum (by removing a resistor I think), but I can't confirm that now.

Yeah they definitely deserved to be sued then :D

On topic - Dowd takes responsibility for her actions:

http://thecelebritycafe.com/feature...rijuana-column-tour-guide-says-she-was-warned

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Maureen Dowd releases statement on marijuana column, tour guide says she was warned
By Daniel S Levine, 6/5/2014

Two days after her column was published, Pulitzer Prize-winning New York Times columnist Maureen Dowd’s experience with edible marijuana is still a hot topic on the web. Dowd has reacted to the huge response her original column got. Meanwhile, the Colorado tour guide that worked with her back in January has said that she was warned about the risks.

As previously reported, Dowd wrote Tuesday about an experience in Colorado in January. She tried a caramel-chocolate flavored bar of edible marijuana and had a disastrous experience, writing that she became paranoid and, at one point, she felt convinced she was dead.

After the story went viral, My 420 Tours co-founder Matt Brown told The Cannabist that Dowd was warned about the effects of edible marijuana.

“She got the warning,” Brown told the site. “She did what all the reporters did. She listened. She bought some samples — I don’t remember what exactly. Me and the owner of the dispensary we were at and the assistant manager and the budtender talked with her for 45 minutes at the shop.”

They spoke with Dowd about the differences between hatter and bubble hash and their effects. Brown later said that Dowd asked her to roll a joint for her, but she had to run off to see the Mitt Romney documentary Mitt, so they did not meet again.

On Thursday, Dowd sent a statement to The Cannabist, stating that she takes responsibility for “not knowing enough about what I was doing.” She continued, “I was focused more on the fun than the risks. In that sense, I’m probably like many other people descending on Denver.”

Colorado is one of two states where recreational marijuana is legal. Washington state is the other.

http://www.thecannabist.co/2014/06/05/maureen-dowd-reacts-focused-fun-risks/13196/

Brown also spoke with Dowd on the telephone a few hours before the column first printed.

“Matt Brown gave me a great tour,” Dowd said in her statement. “There is no mention of edibles in my transcript of our interview, but we were together several hours and no doubt we did chat about it at some point.”

“Obviously, however, I didn’t come away with the knowledge I acquired the hard way — that more than a small amount of an edible was ill-advised for someone with a low tolerance level and that edibles are ingested differently and reaction times are quite different. I ate approximately a quarter of the candy bar, which was too much for someone like me.”

Dowd closed her statement on a pro-legalization — if pro-cautionary — note.

“I favor legalization,” she said, “but given all the tourists streaming into Colorado, it would be better to err on the side of conservative cautions.”