• DPMC Moderators: thegreenhand | tryptakid
  • Drug Policy & Media Coverage Welcome Guest
    View threads about
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
    Drug Busts Megathread Video Megathread

Don’t Harsh Our Mellow, Dude (NY Times)

slimvictor

Bluelight Crew
The caramel-chocolate flavored candy bar looked so innocent, like the Sky Bars I used to love as a child.

Sitting in my hotel room in Denver, I nibbled off the end and then, when nothing happened, nibbled some more. I figured if I was reporting on the social revolution rocking Colorado in January, the giddy culmination of pot Prohibition, I should try a taste of legal, edible pot from a local shop.

What could go wrong with a bite or two?

Everything, as it turned out.

Not at first. For an hour, I felt nothing. I figured I’d order dinner from room service and return to my more mundane drugs of choice, chardonnay and mediocre-movies-on-demand.

But then I felt a scary shudder go through my body and brain. I barely made it from the desk to the bed, where I lay curled up in a hallucinatory state for the next eight hours. I was thirsty but couldn’t move to get water. Or even turn off the lights. I was panting and paranoid, sure that when the room-service waiter knocked and I didn’t answer, he’d call the police and have me arrested for being unable to handle my candy.

I strained to remember where I was or even what I was wearing, touching my green corduroy jeans and staring at the exposed-brick wall. As my paranoia deepened, I became convinced that I had died and no one was telling me.

It took all night before it began to wear off, distressingly slowly. The next day, a medical consultant at an edibles plant where I was conducting an interview mentioned that candy bars like that are supposed to be cut into 16 pieces for novices; but that recommendation hadn’t been on the label.

I reckoned that the fact that I was not a regular marijuana smoker made me more vulnerable, and that I should have known better. But it turns out, five months in, that some kinks need to be ironed out with the intoxicating open bar at the Mile High Club.

Colorado raked in about $12.6 million the first three months after pot was legalized for adults 21 and over. Pot party planners are dreaming up classy events: the Colorado Symphony just had its first “Classically Cannabis” fund-raiser with joints and Debussy. But the state is also coming to grips with the darker side of unleashing a drug as potent as marijuana on a horde of tourists of all ages and tolerance levels seeking a mellow buzz.

In March, a 19-year-old Wyoming college student jumped off a Denver hotel balcony after eating a pot cookie with 65 milligrams of THC. In April, a Denver man ate pot-infused Karma Kandy and began talking like it was the end of the world, scaring his wife and three kids. Then he retrieved a handgun from a safe and killed his wife while she was on the phone with an emergency dispatcher.

As Jack Healy reported in The Times on Sunday, Colorado hospital officials “are treating growing numbers of children and adults sickened by potent doses of edible marijuana” and neighboring states are seeing more stoned drivers.

http://www.nytimes.com/2014/06/04/opinion/dowd-dont-harsh-our-mellow-dude.html?_r=1

And the hit pieces keep coming. Just because your dumbass can't handle your drugs doesn't mean there's anything wrong in Colorado. I would venture to guess that this guy has had too much alcohol and been sick before right? Yet he didn't write a hit piece on Bacardi 151. All just sensationalist bullshit. I would of expected better from the Times.

Anybody else notice that since that editor lost her job there have been quite a few awful pieces in the times.

Cant belive this is the current work of a pulitzer prize winner.. seems like she may be all washed up. Yeah I guess grannies should do a little research when investigating a story before they guinea pig themselves with improper doses... either that or realize that their age and remaining mental faculties have relegated them permanently to the sidelines, where they can watch their B movies, guzzle chardonnay, and write fox news pieces like this till thine kingdom come.

Last edited:
i agree that there should be more education about the difference between smoking and edibles, and edibles need to be clearly labeled as to their strength. i also agree that edibles should be dosed reasonably, and that probably should be regulated in some kind of way. as iamthesuck pointed out, it makes sense that one candy bar should be one dose. that alone would solve most of the problems, i think.

that being said, the author just sounds like a histrionic noob. its not like she was in any real danger at any point, and being a pulitzer prize winning journalist you think she might have done a small amount of research about edible dosages before she ate the entire edible with no pot tolerance.

i also find the title of the article to be unnecessarily pejorative

I agree and I also think that a comprehensive pamphlet should be given to people that explain possible results, come up time, duration of effects. In a clear concise manner.

I just expect more out of quality reporters and publications that a sensationalized look how dumb I was peice. Granted I was not there with her and did not experience what she did but having eaten thc more than a handful of times I never had anything like

"a scary shudder go through my body and brain. I barely made it from the desk to the bed"

Sounds like BS.. unless she mainlined the chocolate. She should have had a few glasses of that wine to piece herself back together.

To high on grass to get a bottle of water from the mini bar in a private hotel room.. did she even try, lol :sus:

Maureen Dowd is probably the NY Times' top writer. I don't like some of the stuff she writes, nor her constant snarkiness, but I'm not going to judge the newspaper based on any one thing she writes. Just like I'm not going to judge the Lakers by one of Kobe's games.

after some thought..

I guess its good that she chose to share this, because it could help prevent people from making the same mistake.. when you eat quality edibles its not like it is in the stoner movies.

A well read piece like this can cut the learning curve down.

I also remembered being run over by chocolate cake one time.. three and half day hallucinogenic nod.. but I could still function enough to get water and such. But then again I was experienced.

EDIT: end result is she's alive and likely will have little or no lingering consequences.. gotta love that about a grass OD.

I just get all worked up when I think that the rest of us could go back to getting rounded up and sent to prison because of irresponsible behavior of others and make snap emotional decisions some times. .. so I guess L like this piece and think it serves an important purpose.. I have done a 180.

Last edited:
And the hit pieces keep coming. Just because your dumbass can't handle your drugs doesn't mean there's anything wrong in Colorado. I would venture to guess that this guy has had too much alcohol and been sick before right? Yet he didn't write a hit piece on Bacardi 151. All just sensationalist bullshit. I would of expected better from the Times.
This this and this .....
Seriously what a pussy ha. Don't do drugs if you can't handle them just to write a shitty bit of news.

Edibles aren't required to have serving sizes and dosage information listed on packaging? That seems like a catastrophe waiting to happen honestly. Safety the obvious reason but it also seems like a potential legal nightmare for vendors and manufacturers. I wouldn't be surprised if there were already ambulance chasers getting cases together for some large payouts. We are talking about a country where people do things like sue mcdonalds because they spilled hot coffee on their lap while driving, claiming the coffee was too hot... and win because "HOT COFFEE" wasn't explicitly labeled on the cup.

Last edited:
^ thank god herion does.. otherwise that might be another catastrophe waiting to happen..

It's really distressing to see an otherwise intelligent person blame the product's packaging for their mistake, rather than blaming herself for failing to do any research or even talk to one experienced person before diving into edible THC.

The message of this article should have been "I should have learned something about Cannabis before I tried it," but instead it reads "The Cannabis industry needs to learn how to protect fools like me from hurting ourselves."

I'm all for regulation and packaging instructions, but measures like that are just treating symptoms of a problem. The fledgling Cannabis industry will continue to have problems like this until people learn to take responsibility and pay attention to what they eat.

sue mcdonalds because they spilled hot coffee on their lap while driving, claiming the coffee was too hot... and win because "HOT COFFEE" wasn't explicitly labeled on the cup.

To be fair coffee shouldn't be hot - a hot coffee is the first sign your barrista has NFI what they are doing and deserve to have their scalding hot milk thrown in their face.

But, yeah, it's retarded that they sell a single candy bar that is supposed to be split into 16 pieces (like WTF?). A pretty simple rule would be one does to one bar.

I know we're all excited about the legalization of Marijuana in certain states, but you guys are being absurd. Just because people aren't going to die (directly) from ODing on edibles, doesn't mean there isn't a need for clear labeling and precise dosing. Taking too much marijuana when you have little tolerance or experience can be a terrifying experience, not to mention what it can do to people with a mental illness. This isn't a fucking ''hit piece,'' it's a reasonable call for better regulation. Legalization proponents need to stop being so defensive and recognize that marijuana isn't an endlessly joyful panacea, or they're just going to hurt their own cause.

Edited:
Nevermind this post. I’m an idiot!

Last edited:
^I am pretty sure it is a joke, since heroin doesn't - to my knowledge - have serving size or dosage info on the package.
Not sure how you read it...

The comment was just an observation exploring quality control and the likelihood of overdose in relation to another drug.

To be fair coffee shouldn't be hot - a hot coffee is the first sign your barrista has NFI what they are doing and deserve to have their scalding hot milk thrown in their face.

The coffee in this instance was very near water's boiling point, and caused 3rd degree burns on contact! I also read that the manager altered the machine so that it would be even hotter than the manufacturer's preset maximum (by removing a resistor I think), but I can't confirm that now.

Edibles aren't required to have serving sizes and dosage information listed on packaging? That seems like a catastrophe waiting to happen honestly. Safety the obvious reason but it also seems like a potential legal nightmare for vendors and manufacturers. I wouldn't be surprised if there were already ambulance chasers getting cases together for some large payouts. We are talking about a country where people do things like sue mcdonalds because they spilled hot coffee on their lap while driving, claiming the coffee was too hot... and win because "HOT COFFEE" wasn't explicitly labeled on the cup.
Liquor bottles don't have dosing instructions on the bottle. What's the difference? If you drank a whole bottle of liquor and got alcohol poisoning could you sue Bacardi?

There's a movie on Netflicks called Hot Coffee, about the McDonald's incident. The old lady originally only asked for medical expenses and when McDonald's refused the case went to court and a jury awarded punitive damages equal to 3 days worth of coffee sales.
http://www.hotcoffeethemovie.com/Default.asp

Edited to fix spelling.