• H&R Moderators: VerbalTruist | cdin | Lil'LinaptkSix

Don’t do meth, it’s been a year since it happened.. here’s our story

ZaphodBeeblebrox

Bluelighter
For those of you who do meth, I’m not sure if this will help or hurt your recovery process. But it’s his - and in a way my - story.
Almost a year ago now my friend disappeared for a few days, no one had heard from him and a buddy in our friend group called me since we lived (relatively) close to each other. I didn’t think much of it at first, since he had a great job and normally traveled internationally so we’d lose contact from time to time. He’d also go dark for a day or so from time to time, and I don’t think anyone else knew he was out at massive, well orgys I guess you’d call them that, doing all kinds of kinky crazy stuff (which he’d always tell me about, I loved it).
But then of course I tried to call and text and email and Facebook and Snapchat and started getting worried. I was tired that night and it was raining and late, so I decided to go looking for him in the morning after my first meeting. I didn’t know where he lived exactly, but i Nancy Drewed that shit and came up with a viable address. Next morning called again - no answer - and same with his office. Left a few messages for a few random people on his team there hoping someone had info but no one called back.
So I get to the address and am now more worried. His truck was there, and open. His favorite hat in the front seat and work stuff in the back - computer included. The porch light is on and I knock, no answer, then dig through the mail to confirm it was his place (like I didn’t already know I guess...). At this point i have a terrible feeling and decide it’s time to break in. If the neighbors see me and call the cops so be it (oh and if you’re wondering why I didn’t do that first for a wellness check, it’s because he was in the middle of a NASTY divorce and custody battle, and I did NOT want to give her any more ammo against him).
So I go around through the gate to the back of the house, knock on the sliding door and nothing. Lights are on inside but it didn’t seem like anyone was home... looked under every pot for a key, was unsuccessful and decided it was time to break a window. Luckily for me I noticed a dogdoor to the garage before doing that, and took my chances with those metal covers people use when they no longer have a dog at home. Got lucky and it opened! Slid that thing up and was able to crawl through the dog door to the garage - it was a large dog door - and saw his motorcycle. Definitely his house.
So I wade around in the dark for a bit throughly believing there was no way into the house from there until I saw the door. Ok, time to go in and see what’s up.
The SMELL. It was like - well undescribable - for those of you who know, you know you will never forget it. The kitchen was full of moving boxes, poor thing never bothered unpacking the year before when he moved in. I go to the table by the door and find his keys and wallet... I’m calling his name but there’s no answer, so next step is to check upstairs.
I walk up the stairs and there he is! I can see his knees from the bottom step as they’re up, and i start giving him shit for scaring me so badly...but then get closer and see his feet are kinda purple. At this point I’m still talking to him until I get to the top of the stairs and go in the bedroom.
Do you know what happens to a body after it’s been dead for 3 DAYS? In short, it decomposes.. from the inside out. And the gasses and ... material exits the body in any opening it can.
Clearly I start yelling and screaming, and the first thing I do is go to the bathroom to see if there are empty pill bottles. Did he do it on purpose? He’d be having a really hard time with the divorce and custody battle, but to do that? Fuck. So I call 911, am hysterically crying and can’t seem to get it out to the operator what’s going on for a few minutes. So no empty pill bottles, could it have been an overdose? Yes, it definitely could. Ok so move him onto his side she says.
I mean I knew it was pointless, but I’d never seen something like that before, could it be that he was just ODing and there was still a chance? Maybe (clearly not) but in that moment it was maybe. So she wants me to rotate him, which is hard since he’s 6’4 and I’m a chick - not a small one but also not one that can lift that kind of body...there was also the fact that I was afraid to touch him out of fear of what more might come out.. his mouth... it was a steady stream and could have been vomit..right?
So fine she says, use the sheet and try to move him to the floor so you can turn him on his side. I put my phone down, grab on to the sheet and was saved by the bell - the doorbell since the cops were there (thank god). They come upstairs and promptly usher me out of the room and back downstairs. They don’t know if it’s foul play or not yet so I’m questioned and 3 minutes later one comes back downstairs and gives the other one a definite NO nod. No shit...
That wasn’t the worst of it, the fallout happened when his wife came into town and wouldn’t let me have anything of his (we were very close friends and had been since before she and he got together at school) then there were accusations from her - stealing things from the house, calling the police department pretending to be her to get information, and a plethora of other bullshit which did not help with my mental date after the serious trauma I had just been through. Oh and I also took it upon myself to call his family personally and tell them what happened.
Anyway it’s good to write about it since no one wants to talk about it. The bottom line and point of this is that he had overdosed on meth, having combined it with cocaine and then took ambien - to come down it seemed. I knew he used...and I saw him losing weight, and I did nothing to stop it. And I’ve now lost one of my closest friends.
Like I said he was a successful guy with a great job, he hid it well and managed to keep everything in check. One night though he just overdid it, to this day I don’t think it was intentional..he just mixed the wrong things at the wrong amounts.
We all dabble or are trying to get over addictions - that’s why I’m here too - but think of your friends and family who could find you like that and what it would do to them. Or if you see someone getting really bad, don’t do what I did and convince yourself they’re going to be ok..we all have our secrets and the signs are there if you’re looking. I hope this helps someone or at least scares you enough to consider what you’re taking.

Meth sucks and that’s a tragic end for anyone and a horrible experience for the person finding the body.

Worth remembering that the vast majority of fatal meth OD’s involve a combination of drugs. As seems to be the case here.

Any number of illicit drugs and Rx pharmaceuticals make meth way more acutely risky.

Of course, the greater danger for most people though is in chronic use.

that sounds awful. i'm so sorry for your loss. i hope you are getting some help to deal with the loss of your friend and the trauma of finding a body.

I can sympathize With you. FInding someone you really cared about will never leave your memory, at least the last time you would lay eyes on them and wouldnt expect to ever see them dead. Tomorrow will be my brother's birthday, He would be 36 years old. I found his body 5 days after Christmas in 2011 from, what appeared to be him trying to save himself from a heroin overdose. nearly a month he was clean and he decided to relapse the week of xmas.. 5 days prior to xmas, our mother was falsely arrested on a false accusation from an ex co-worker. Anywho, I'm sorry for anyone that has to live with that constant memory. And I'm truly sorry for your loss. Time heals a lil but not a day goes by I'm reminded of the image of his lifeless body.. Much love to ya and take care of yourself :)