View threads about
    Posting RulesBluelight Rules
    PD's Best Threads Index
    Social ThreadSupport Bluelight
    Psychedelic Beginner's FAQ

doing psychedelics for the first time

akadark

Greenlighter
My friend and I have been smoking weed for a long while, and we wanted to have a trip together. I've done a lot of research and from what I understand, lsd is safer when it is pure, shrooms can be unpredictable. I was going to try lsd since it's "easier to handle", but now a different friend is telling me that dmt, although being stronger, is easier to handle since it's only a couple of minutes whereas lsd lasts several hours. What would anyone suggest for first timers.
P.s, availability is not an issue here

DMT is pretty a pretty drastic psychedelic for first time use. If you can find LSD, I'd recommend that. It doesn't cause as much confusion as shrooms can. Stick to one hit and I can almost guarantee you'll have a great time. Wait until you have some more experience to try DMT. Do you really want ego death your first time tripping?

DMT is pretty a pretty drastic psychedelic for first time use. If you can find LSD, I'd recommend that. It doesn't cause as much confusion as shrooms can. Stick to one hit and I can almost guarantee you'll have a great time. Wait until you have some more experience to try DMT. Do you really want ego death your first time tripping?
Yea I thought dmt would be way too strong, but my other friend was saying it's less risk since it's only a couple of minutes. Thanks for clearing that up

Well, there's a lot to be said for a first psych experience being DMT. It will be INTENSE, but that will always remain so even if you've done thumbprints of LSD. Yet it will prime you for many experiences to come (if psychedelics are for you), and it's not dangerous or anything. It's short acting, yes, though it might not feel that way. I think you just have to question yourself if you want to have your socks rocked off, but don't let the intensity scare you off. I would start low, like 20mgs or something, just to get a taster. Then go for the real deal. If you want to.

Otherwise, if you want to start out a bit more conservative (doesn't make you a pussy though!), just make sure you have a quiet place out in nature where it's safe for you and your friend to hang out for a few hours. The substance doesn't nearly matter as much if the set/setting is correct. Just plan out ahead, and make sure you have all the right things with you (music, drinks, maybe a bit of food) Don't go for too much of a dose, but too low isn't really fun either and might make you anxious. Just ask the dealer-person what he'd think would be a right dose for a first timer, he knows his hits well, even if the validity of his information might seem questionable. You might want to abstain from smoking weed, as it raises anxiety, but if it feels right then why not? Also, be sure to just research everything about the substance you end up taking.

If you get LSD, it might be wise to get an Ehrlich testing kit to verify the substance.

^this
Stick to the LSD, I've seen people who have been tripping for years go absolutely nuts from a strong DMT trip, if you get into tripping you'll have a pretty good idea when its the right time to blast off.
Also having a benzo on hand if things take a turn for the worse is always a good idea.

Well, there's a lot to be said for a first psych experience being DMT.

Thats true, but I'd hate to see someone try DMT and then run away from psychs forever. If I tried DMT my first time, I don't think I would have tried anything else. DMT is some other shit.

Well, there's a lot to be said for a first psych experience ......
Thanks for the really informational response. Are there any preparations I should take before hand? Loke I hear shrooms hit you harder on an empty stomach etc.

I think sub-breakthrough isn't that overwhelming, so if DMT is readily available for the OP, then just to test the waters it would be a nice first step. If that feels right then he could cautiously step towards a true breakthrough experience.

But yeah like I said, you really need to stand behind the choice before doing it. It's not a bad idea, but you WILL be overwhelmed.

akadark: A lot of people fast before dosing shrooms, and in shamanic ritual it's required, but for your apparent purposes it's not really important. On the other hand having your stomach completely filled could make you more nauseous (with shrooms that is)

There's some nuances about tripping you might get an understanding off when reading some trip reports, but you can't really understand until you try.

The only thing you really can prepare for is making sure the experience goes by smoothly: Make sure you can change scenes when you start to feel anxious, make sure you have something to keep busy with if the anxiety starts to take hold (e.g watch a movie at home or something that will grab your attention) It's important that you're not interrupted by non-tripping, disapproving people and that you just feel right at home wherever you are.

I think the most important thing is not to worry too much beforehand or during. Your body will feel weird, that's normal. You might get anxious about stupid little things, that's normal. Taking this step can be daunting, but all the more worthwhile when it turns out even more amazing than you imagined.

Last edited: