• Psychedelic Drugs Welcome Guest
    View threads about
    Posting RulesBluelight Rules
    PD's Best Threads Index
    Social ThreadSupport Bluelight
    Psychedelic Beginner's FAQ

DOI for asthma

I wonder what action of DOI is responsible for this, that the other DOx lack.

I wonder what action of DOI is responsible for this, that the other DOx lack.

from link above said:
...asthma is an inflammatory disease...

...scientists from Louisiana State University...found that activating a particular serotonin receptor, called (5-HT)2A, potently reduced inflammation. Taking this one step further, they found that activating these receptors in rodents also had anti-inflammatory activity in both blood vessels and tissues of the gut.

Since (R)-DOI is known to act by sticking to the (5-HT)2A receptor, the team wondered whether it could alleviate asthma symptoms, since these are driven in part by inflammation.

...the researchers administered half of the mice with aerosolized (R)-DOI...
not only did it prevent airway inflammation, it also reduced the excessive production of mucus and recruitment of immune cells known to be involved in asthma. Furthermore, the dose they used was between 50 and 100 times lower than those that would influence behavior.

You are welcome, I always happy to read articles for someone lazy :D Joking.
Since most psychedelics binds to 5-ht2a the answer for your question: other DO(x) likely have some potential versus asthma too but since DOI is more active at this receptor than other DO(x) (I don't remember exact number of DOB's afinity for 5-ht2a, it's probably comparable to DOI or likely a bit stronger) they used it in the first place for research.

Another interesting information I found while was writing msg:
from wiki said:
DOI has been shown to be an extremely potent inhibitor of tumour necrosis factor-alpha, an inflammatory mediator which is an important target for current research into degenerative conditions such as rheumatoid arthritis and Alzheimer's disease, where the disease process involves tissue damage through chronic inflammation. This could make DOI and other 5-HT2A agonists an entirely new area for development of novel treatments for these conditions.[7]

DOI has also been shown to induce rapid growth and reorganization of dendritic spines and synaptic connections with other neurons, processes known to underlie neuroplasticity.[8]

Ha, really DOI can be the new Holy Grail :) (or Holy Grail Jr. since LSD is probably better for medical and therapeutic usage)

Last edited:
good article. brave researchers too. i couldn't comprehend researching controversial chemicals such as psychedelics in Louisiana. MAPS wouldn't exist if they had started in Louisiana and their wouldn't be a PIHKAL or TIHKAL had the Shulgins lived their. 1 in 75 people in Louisianan currently suffers incarceration (the highest incarceration rate on the planet). an example of the extremity of drug prohibition in Louisiana: selling any amount of heroin has a mandatory minimum of ten years in prison without parole on the first violation.

So that definitively means that any of the 'highly' agonists of (5-HT)2A will alleviate asthma symptoms?

This is really curious, I've experienced my migraine to go with the usage of psychedelics (I think it's even related to the same neurotransmitter if I remember well) but never experienced a change on the asthma. Really interesting in terms of medications I guess (aerosols, etc).

This really is interesting. I've had asthma since I was 12, but it was never so bad that I needed an inhaler. I only used it because the doctor said so, but I didn't feel a difference. I did get shortness of breath a lot, but when you're an active kid and always exercising, running or playing sports, it's hard to tell the difference. Is it the asthma, or is it just exertion as usual?

The thing is that I've been a smoker since I was 18, and I love smoking in general. But my asthma has never bothered me. I'm no doctor, yet I feel like I don't even have it anymore.

It's very interesting that DOI can potentially have those healing effects. I hope DOPr and DOC have those properties too. As well as other RCs actually. It'd be nice for them to have good, legitmate uses to improve our health.