• Cannabis Discussion Welcome Guest
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules

Does weed feel different to schizophrenic people?

JackiesBabyy

Bluelighter
I read on a site that the reason the vast majority of people with schizophrenia smoke weed is because it's much more euphoric for them than normal people. Is this true? If so, why/how?

I dunno. But I saw a show on MTV a long time ago with a schizophrenic stoner and it made him think birds were talking to him. Essentially, worse. Probably just a way to cope imo.

Dopamine?

I think any drug thats dopaminergic is going to affect schizophrenic people more than the general populace. Since cannabis has dopaminergic affects (increases it by unknown mechanisms iirc) its not surprising. Also why stimulants are generally a bad idea for people with the condition, and can bring out symptoms of psychosis in the general populace when they go overboard with them imho. Also most typical anti-psychotics work my antagonism of dopamine receptors.

I am diagnosed with s effective disorder and weed is so strong and intense for me I refuse to smoke it... Most people do not understand what I mean... Def has something to do with brain idk do much about dopamine though

Dopamine?

I think any drug thats dopaminergic is going to affect schizophrenic people more than the general populace. Since cannabis has dopaminergic affects (increases it by unknown mechanisms iirc) its not surprising. Also why stimulants are generally a bad idea for people with the condition, and can bring out symptoms of psychosis in the general populace when they go overboard with them imho. Also most typical anti-psychotics work my antagonism of dopamine receptors.

Well, stimulants can bring out symptoms of psychosis in healthy people if you use meth to stay up for 4+ days like I have plenty of times.

Since cannabis tends to cause paranoid symptoms from time to time, I don't recommend that schizophrenics use it. That is, positive symptom schizophrenia. I don't know what it does for negative symptom schizophrenia.

Many schizophrenics find it helps with some of their symptoms. Research has suggested that schizophrenics that use cannabis often have fewer negative symptoms than their non drug-using counterparts. It's not that people with schizophrenia find it more 'euphoric', it's that they find it helps with some of the disturbing aspects of their mental illness.

Since cannabis tends to cause paranoid symptoms from time to time, I don't recommend that schizophrenics use it. That is, positive symptom schizophrenia. I don't know what it does for negative symptom schizophrenia.

via Norml: Study: Cannabis Use Associated With Superior Cognitive Performance In Bipolar Patients
http://norml.org/news/2012/08/09/st...ior-cognitive-performance-in-bipolar-patients

The potential cognitive benefits of marijuana are not well understood by science. As a user, I believe in them. I believe marijuana has potential to treat the cognitive problems caused by Schizophrenia. Like hallucinogens marijuana will increase awareness to external and internal stimuli. When I appear "spaced out" on marijuana it is because I am focusing myself so narrowly I ignore distracting stimulus in a way I cannot when I am sober. I can also choose to focus on my surroundings so I can notice new details or distractions under the influence.

Cannabis isn't a good replacement for Vyvanse. I think it is too hard to find a functional dose for a high maintenance drug. Generally marijuana's focusing effect is too strong and unreliable. In the future maybe there will be better technology that can deliver marijuana's cognitive benefits at a reliable functional dose.

I believe that in the future, when weed's effects are better understood by prescribing psychiatrists, some Schizophrenics will be able to benefit from specific strains of marijuana that are safer for paranoid people. I do not have Schizophrenia but I struggle with my own paranoid symptoms. I have found that not all marijuanas are the same. "Green Crack" is a funny example of a strain I prefer to avoid…there must be a reason why it is called crack! Indicas are probably safer than sativas, this is my expirience, but it could potentially be different for everyone.

a lot of schizo people smoke to self medicate actually, i have a friend that does so. i've asked her and her descriptions sound just like any other person who smokes. so i believe the answer to your question is no.

a lot of schizo people smoke to self medicate actually, i have a friend that does so. i've asked her and her descriptions sound just like any other person who smokes. so i believe the answer to your question is no.

What kind of schizophrenia though? I imagine it'd help a lot more with disorganized (primarily negative) schizophrenia or a medicated paranoid type.

hmm...can't help you there. not really sure. i do know she goes into this sort of mania sometimes when she gets angry and nothing can stop her. it's as if she becomes a gorilla and all her reactions are primal instincts. she doesn't even talk...she grunts and breathes just like a gorilla would. she put a hole through a wall of my house during a party once during one of these manias.

hmm...can't help you there. not really sure. i do know she goes into this sort of mania sometimes when she gets angry and nothing can stop her. it's as if she becomes a gorilla and all her reactions are primal instincts. she doesn't even talk...she grunts and breathes just like a gorilla would. she put a hole through a wall of my house during a party once during one of these manias.

That SOUNDS like catatonia. Except I think with catatonic schizophrenia the person is either how you mentioned, or completely unmoving (Stupor).

How the hell would anyone know if it "feels" different to them? That's like asking "Do Chinese people see the color red differently then Korean people?" How do you measure what it feels like to begin with?

How the hell would anyone know if it "feels" different to them? That's like asking "Do Chinese people see the color red differently then Korean people?" How do you measure what it feels like to begin with?

Schizophrenics aren't born with schizophrenia. It usually hits in your 20s and most people who smoked weed smoked before 20.

So your asking if it feels different before/after onset? But introducing the confounding variable of "Are we testing if it is different before/after onset or are we testing if it is different in teenagers vs 20-somethings?"

Schizophrenics aren't born with schizophrenia. It usually hits in your 20s and most people who smoked weed smoked before 20.

Schizophrenics show symptoms their whole life. A licensed shrink could easily observe a 12 year old looking through you or lacking proper empathy, etc.

i'm diagnosed with schizoaffective and i love smoking weed by myself but if i do it in public/social situations i freak out BAD. not like flip out but i just leave immedietly due to anxiety if i can. that's true for a lot of people not diagnosed with psychotic conditions as well though.