• S E X
    L O V E +
    R E L A T I O N S H I P S

❤️ Welcome Guest! ❤️

Posting Guidelines Bluelight Rules
  • SLR Moderators: axe battler | xtcgrrrl | arrall

Does this seem like the behavior of an addict? (My current BF)

qwerty8390

Greenlighter
I'm new here and hope this is the appropriate place to post this, but I'd just like to get some insight. Sorry but this might be long.

I've been seeing this guy for 6 months. Early on I found out he got a felony arrest a year and a half ago for burglarizing someone's house, which he did while drunk and on Xanax. He said Xans were his DOC back then. Even said that he had withdrawals from them, so obviously he was using them enough to get WDs. Said it was like the most anxious, depressed and shitty I've ever felt times 10 or something. He has also admitted to taking Oxy "in the past." He said, "If someone offered me something for free that would make me feel better than I did right then, why wouldn't I take it?" He's tried lots of drugs... claims to have never touched meth or heroin, but I'm unsure of that now. He has also admitted to selling drugs. Early on, he'd always have to "go and meet a homie real quick" at like 2/3 am, and he'd come back 5 minutes later. Wasn't sure if he was dealing or buying at that point. Anyways, he always drank with me in the beginning, and he'd drink a lot. Early on, we were able to have sex 2 or 3 times each time we'd see each other. Sex life was on point. Then about a month and a half to two months into hanging out, I had a boob job and got some Percocet. I'm not big into drugs, and I ended up discontinuing it the day after my surgery. (Hated falling asleep every other minute). Anyways, I had an entire bottle of like 45 or so Percocet left. His roommate asked for some, said he'd pay me, but I gave him 10 for free. He seemed way too giddy lol. (Side note on his roommate, who has now moved out... my bf said he had a prescription for Xanax and that he had started using heroin shortly before moving out). Later that night my bf mentioned he had a friend that would buy the Percocet from me, and that he could sell them for me, asking how much I wanted for them etc. I said I'd be down to make some extra cash, and later that night I offered him a few. I did so by handing him the entire bottle. Well, what do you know, the next morning the bottle was GONE. I didn't care about them because I wasn't taking them anymore anyways, and I just assumed maybe he was going to sell them and give me money. Nope, never saw a single dime. So, this was red flag numero uno.

After that, sex life went downhill. He'd have trouble getting off and eventually we just stopped having sex often at all. At this point (we broke up and got back together a few times recently), we haven't had sex in over a month. Like two months into us hanging out, he got his nose badly broken at work and couldn't work for a bit. He got really depressed. Throughout our relationship, he'd have crazy mood swings. Like, he'd be so lovey dovey and then if I didn't stay the night with him at like 3 am (he has weird sleeping hours), he'd text me random shit about me cheating on him, or that I'd never hear from him again, or suicidal texts. Always in the middle of the night. He'd even have sleepless nights sometimes, claiming sometimes he'd get really bad insomnia. A few weeks after getting his nose broken he was fine--seeming very happy, sweet, affectionate, but still no sex. Then suddenly, shit hit the fan. He kept saying he got robbed, couldn't afford to pay rent, said he wanted to kill himself, etc etc. During that week, I went over to his house every night bringing him home cooked meals and stuff. He'd just nod off in a second. Like, sitting upright on his laptop, fucking out cold. I tried waking him and he wouldn't wake up for a good 3 minutes... thought I'd have to call 911. Another time, he laid down on me for a second with his slippers on, mumbled some weird incoherent shit, and then passed out on me. His breathing was super slow, which scared me. I was able to move out from under him, like lift him off, without even waking him. Later that week he had me call out of work for him because he "felt so sick." He was nauseous, constipated, couldn't keep anything down.... He also accidentally texted me saying "subs are chill, don't do shit but make you sick though" while I was at his house. Said his back hurt and his homie was going to hook him up (he got into another altercation at work that involved him "hurting his back.") That night he went over to his homies house and didn't get home until 4 am. Other times, he's texted me saying "my buddy (not me) is looking for some pain killers and doesn't have health insurance. Do you know anyone that could help out?" Another text was, "My boss said he'd give me a week off of work if I get him some pain killers, do you know anyone that'd have some? I want to take that deal lol." These texts were months apart, but he damn well knows I don't have the hookup... seemed desperate.

Another night, he said his roommates were doing blow... he went into the bathroom to "take a shower" at like 3 am, and was in there for way too long. Came out saying "Don't make fun, but I used the body wash I'm allergic to and now I'm super itchy everywhere." He was super itchy, said he needed to get allergy medication and that he wouldn't be able to sleep for awhile so I just went into his bed and slept. Seemed suspect.

Then he started seeming really motivated and happy again. This is when he grew distant. He literally barely talked to me for three days and claimed he was just "severely depressed," that it was "crippling" and that he "isolates himself when he's like that." But he seemed perfectly fine. Not like the crazy depressed person I've seen before. He even looked up at me one time and said "Baby, will you buy a gun and just kill me?" in the most chill tone I've ever heard.

I broke it off with him shortly because of his distance.. It was a shock to me for someone to go from wanting to be around me 24/7 (literally every night) to suddenly barely responding to me. I went to bed afterwards and woke up to 152 text messages, 8 missed calls and 2 voice mails, saying he was going to kill himself, that I was a horrible person, to tell his parents, and that he never deserved me and still loved me. It was all over the place.

Now, he says he loves me, says he wants to be with me, but will lie to me... he'll avoid hanging out with me sometimes, or just ends up getting home wayyyy later than he'd say. He's ignoring me more than he ever has before. Side note, whenever he's getting ready to leave and picks up his backpack, I always hear a pill bottle in there with pills. Never snooped though.

Anyways, last night was another night of him being weird. He said he'd be home around 12/1230 am and that I could come over if I wanted. I said to text me when he got home, then sent another text telling him to let me know if it was going to be later and that I'd just stay home then. He texted me at 2 am saying he just got back, was sorry, and that he wants to see me tonight.

He's also always eating sweets. Like copious amounts of sweets at night--whole pints of ice cream, and other various candies or cookies. Also, I know he has Kratom as well. Him and his roommates all take it.

Between the mood swings, lack of money a little while ago (which I lent him some for rent btw), no sex, and sleeping in until 8 or 9 pm sometimes, I just don't know if I can handle it anymore. I don't want to enable him at all, but I just want honesty. If he's doing drugs, I just want to know.

Does this sound like an active addict to you, and what would be the best way to bring it up if it does? I just don't want lies anymore. I don't care if he's using. Ideally I'd love to help him, but know that he has to want it himself. I'm just sick of being lied to and out of the loop. (I've been lurking this forum to try and learn as much as I can about opiates and drug users).

Last edited:
For certain active opiate/opioid addiction.

I'm sorry but I'll wait for someone else to chime in on the best way to go about confronting him about it. Best of luck.

For certain active opiate/opioid addiction.

I'm sorry but I'll wait for someone else to chime in on the best way to go about confronting him about it. Best of luck.

It's like, deep down I know, but sometimes I question myself because he tries to hide it so much. I start thinking, "maybe he just dabbles and I'm crazy for thinking he has a problem." Hearing it confirmed from other people helps. Now I just want to talk to him about it without him being defensive. I just want him to be able to talk to me about it.

Hi,

First, let me say that I am sorry you are in this situation. Second, I am going to be very blunt here, because I think you may need a reality check. I don't think it matters if he is or he isn't doing drugs. He is obviously doing a lot of something (or many somethings) that probably is (are) not good. Just read your own narrative if you need evidence of that. Who would want to be with someone like this? He is bad news no matter how you slice it. In addition, he may also be into things that are criminal and you could unknowingly get dragged into whatever he is into. Lastly, I hope you believe that you deserve a better BF than he is, if not, then you probably need to begin by working on yourself sooner rather than later.

Last edited:
Hi,

First, let me say that I am sorry you are in this situation. Second, I am going to be very blunt here, because I think you may need a reality check. I don't think it matters if he is or he isn't doing drugs. He is obviously doing a lot of something (or many somethings) that probably is (are) not good. Just read your own narrative if you need evidence of that. Who would want to be with someone like this? He is bad news no matter how you slice it. In addition, he may also be into things that are criminal and you could unknowingly get dragged into whatever he is into. Lastly, I hope you believe that you deserve a better BF than he is, if not, then you probably need to begin by working on yourself sooner rather than later.

Thanks for your bluntness. I am seeing a therapist at the moment for my own issues, but aside from all of the negative aspects of him that I have listed, there are countless more positives to him as a person. It's hard to just walk away from someone I genuinely care about, and an outsider's perspective of just leaving him is always going to be easier said than done.

Hi Again,

I am so glad you are seeing a therapist. That should be very helpful at working this issue through. And, of course, leaving someone you care about it NEVER going to be easy to be sure. It will take a lot of time and work on your part to find your way through this. I am also sure that he has some positive qualities. With a few exceptions, no one is all bad, and that is also why it is so difficult to leave him.

I wish you nothing but the best in getting through this and coming out the other side.

From reading the responses you've received so far, I think you had your original question answered with a resounding yes. Also, the secrecy is all part of the deal. One hides getting the drugs, or schemes on ways to get them, they hide using them and lastly, they "try" to hide how they act when they use them. It's like an elaborate game. In the end, there's no hiding away a problem as large as his. You'd have to be nearly blind to not see what's going on there.

I know you mentioned that leaving may be difficult but at the end of the day, he's being so incredibly dishonest with you, how can you realistically expect to have a real and total relationship with someone like that? He's so busy trying to manipulate every moment you're around, where is the time to just "be" with you, so those magical times with the one you love, have a fighting chance to just happen?

I'm truly sorry but I can't possibly see this working out unless he does a complete 180 and even then, you.may not even recognize or like that new person infront of you. Who knows? I wish you well.

10000% he is an addict. Doesn't matter of what, he's simply displaying pure addict behavior. As said above, he's being completely dishonest with you, and taking your caring nature for granted. It's great that you care about him, but from what you described it doesn't sound like you're getting much out of the relationship. Yes, you're absolutely right, it's incredibly easier said than done, but you just might have to cut your losses here. It's enough of a burden to watch and constantly support someone who is insistent on destroying themselves, but it's only a matter of time until you find yourself in a situation that is the result of his behavior. You can try to help him, but unless he's actually got a desire to change and clean up his act, he's going to do nothing but drag you down with him. You seem like a sweet girl, you deserve a good relationship. Best of luck to you.

Literally no way they're not an addict. And if he's just going to lie to you about it, rather than admit and ask for your help. Then he's not even at the stage of admitting he needs help and allowing you to do that. Sorry - but if you stick around just expect a world of shit - take it from a junky :(

Either and active addict or extreme bipolar. Either way, not your cross to bear. You have 2 healthy options: 1) leave him, 2) tell him to get help (addiction or psych) and then promptly leave him if he does not do this almost immediately.

it sounded like a massive opiate addiction only a 1/4 way down your post op

why the fuck are you with this lunatic?

lots of people do h and dont burgle, he's a horrible person

he robbed you of drugs to feed a habit, has mad mood swings, threatens suicide

i bet he looks really good/attractive and is a good lay and all that "awww babe" shit combined with the memory of good lays is keeping you in the picture that was, but what is now is bad

and burglars are fucking bad no excuses

Seems like it to me, is there anyone you can talk to outside for input that has some training with this behaviour?