Mental Health Does prozac cause increase disinhibition?

cowardescent

Bluelighter
I was on Prozac when in 11th grade for 6 months. The interesting this is, I didn't feel at all like these were "happy pills" but "motivational pills". I still felt like shit but actually went through and attempted suicide twice for the first time in my life. I also started talking to a random attractive girl on the bus who I saw which is something I'd never do. Also called in a radio station and said some weird things in class

I have Aspergers but never acted like this. it wasn't bad to be honest and I've heard that serotonin is responsible for exarcerbating autism effects.

I was on Prozac when in 11th grade for 6 months. The interesting this is, I didn't feel at all like these were "happy pills" but "motivational pills". I still felt like shit but actually went through and attempted suicide twice for the first time in my life. I also started talking to a random attractive girl on the bus who I saw which is something I'd never do. Also called in a radio station and said some weird things in class

I have Aspergers but never acted like this. it wasn't bad to be honest and I've heard that serotonin is responsible for exarcerbating autism effects.

Well, I was on it for about 20 years (now I'm on Lexapro which isn't really much different or better IMO) and it never did that for me, but obviously people react VERY differently to drugs and I have heard all kinds of reactions to it from good to bad.

I don't find it lowers inhibitions or increases motivation. I took it not for depression but for a very specific type of OCD/social anxiety that i have, and for that one thing it was effective.

I guess I would say that in that one specific way it could have made me less inhibited, I mean, it did in the sense that it helped me with a kind of severe social anxiety that made me have trouble talking to a lot of people, and so when on it i no longer had that problem so it was easier to interact, but really it was just like the removal of one problematic symptom I had, and not decreasing inhibitions beyond that point to make me socially disinhibited in the way that alcohol does.

But again, people have all kinds of reactions to drugs. If you attempted suicide on it, which can happen as a side effect from antidepressants, then it doesn't sound to me like a drug that is good for or that you should take again IMO.