• MDMA &
    Empathogenic
    Drugs

Welcome Guest!
  • MDMA Moderators:

Does propranolol (beta-blocker) lessen the enjoyability of MDMA?

Ghaenrynquau

Greenlighter
Propranolol and other beta-blockers also have serotonin receptor antagonism, so they could probably lessen the enjoyability of MDMA. (I would like to keep taking propranolol because of anxiety though.)

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/18635693

"Pre-treatment with PIN did not significantly alter MDMA-induced impairment of cognitive performance and only exerted a minor modulating effect on two psychometric scales affected by MDMA treatment ('positive derealization' and 'dreaminess').
"

Does anybody have any experience?

Last edited:
I don't think it would affect it that much, and being in propranolol withdrawal while taking MDMA would certainly be no fun and wouldn't be safe.

I think there was some talk about propranolol affecting amphetamine highs a little bit but amphetamine is so much more noradrenaline based than MDMA.

Woahh, I had no idea propanolol withdrawal was a thing. Silly oversight on my part there.

I've taken MDMA with propranolol and didn't notice any obvious interaction.

^I've heard stories of the heart rate rebound and it's supposed to be super intense, like pounding heart above 150 beats a minute if someone has been on propranolol for a year and cold turkeys

But yeah I don't think it'll affect MDMA.

I remember reading that propranolol tends to decrease heart rate in some patients... you might be slightly out of breath with vigorous mdma dancing? I'm not an expert, perhaps someone else can better answer this.

^it can make some people lightheaded and give them some low blood pressure, I would make sure to stay hydrated with electrolytes

I was on emcoretic (Bisoprololfumarate and hydrochlorothiazide - beta blocker) for blood pressure but experienced no interference with mdma.