• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

Opioids Does not having a Colon affect the absorption of Opiate pain medications?

OpioidDopioid

Greenlighter
I have Crohn's Disease (IBD), and several years ago had my entire Colon and portions of the large and small intestines removed.

Prior to these major surgeries I had been prescribed Opiate pain medications periodically, and they gave a fantastic high. 10-15mg at that time would have me floating, and a really nice warm sensation down my spine. The warm sensation is my favorite part of Opiate use.

Since I had the surgery, though, these medications seem less effective. I can take 15-20mg of Hydro or Oxy Codone with little effect. I'm wondering if my lack of a Colon would affect the absorption of these medications? I'm not extremely knowledgeable on the biological processes of opiate use, but I believe the Liver metabolizes most Opiates into Morphine which is what causes the effects. Would not having a Colon cause less of the drug to find it's way to the Liver, though?

I've also taken Kratom daily for several months now. I know there is some cross-tolerance there. However, taking 8-10g of Premium Kratom Powder seems to yield better results than 10-20mg Oxy Codone. This doesn't seem right as I know Kratom is considered very weak in comparison to legitimate Opiates.

Any insight would be appreciated.

Thanks.

Your colon is your large intestines, you can't have it entirely removed I wouldn't think. maybe just a section of your colon?

So that looks like a definite, "Yes, it does affect drug effectiveness."

I've had several resections on my small intestine, but I'm not sure exactly how much has been removed. I'm going to get in touch with my gastroenterologist about this. I'll have to ensure the Oral Surgeon prescribes me IR rather than ER in hopes it makes a difference.

Thanks for the link, bliss. I appreciate it.

Yes it can, a lot of receptors are located in your "gut".

- Hopeless