• H&R Moderators: VerbalTruist | cdin | Lil'LinaptkSix

Does my partner require immediate care ABCSESS

OcCo

Bluelighter
Haven't posted in a while but require some advice from the community, my partner is rather stubborn due to past history of hospitals so getting her to go is a nightmare.

We believe she has an abscess, I've been an IV user on/off 13 years and never seem to get them so am unsure on procedure. She had a bump I believe to be an abscess above her thumb with a head surrounded by redness the center was yellow today the center is more of a reddish colour there is still swelling around the area indicating were the puss is, today the yellow has turned more reddish, does this indicate possible rupture underneath or is this normal.

Any help or information would be greatly appreciated as she has promised to goto her GP 1st thing tomorrow but I want her to go to the hospital, she has trauma from having 21 reconstructive surgeries and reoccurring nightmares so getting her to go to the hospital is a I will attach a picture and can follow up with others if needed.

She needs antibiotics stat. That shit is nothing to fuck with tell her to go to the ER asap. My ex had a abcess and it was disgusting

Hot compresses will sometimes bring them to a head. It also makes them feel better.

SOMETIMES with the compresses you can get them to drain on their own ( IF they can come to a head ) but oftentimes the infection just stays under the skin and stays red and painful.

Antibiotics are a must. It's the only medicine that will clear the infection. Even if they come to a head and drain the wound still needs antibiotics.

Might as just well go to a ready med/ urgent care and get a script. No point in delaying it as I'm sure it probably hurts pretty bad.

IMG-20230323-202359.jpg

^ Looks like it may have already drained a bit as it has a head and it looks like it's starting to crust over.

Yeah, hit up an urgent care, get an antibiotic script, keep hot compresses on it on the regular and it should heal up pretty quickly. Have seen a lot worse on here and although that one ain't pretty it looks like it will be fine with a bit of care.

Thank you both for your prompt replies. She's stated it doesn't hurt is there chance that it could just be a miss or something else? Getting her to go is very difficult even getting her to agree to the dr's tomorrow has been a mission in itself causing an argument and due to the trauma I've tried to tread lightly.

She had nec fasch which led to the reconstructions so she's minimising her current situation to avoid going to a hospital.

The swelling hasn't subsided just changed colour at the head.

Thank you again and my partner has told me to thank you.

Last edited:
Thank you both for your prompt replies. She's stated it doesn't hurt is there chance that it could just be a miss or something else? Getting her to go is very difficult even getting her to agree to the dr's tomorrow has been a mission in itself causing an argument and due to the trauma I've tried to tread lightly.

She had nec fasch which led to the reconstructions so she's minimising her current situation to avoid going to a hospital.

If it doesn't hurt that is a good sign. That means the pus buildup isn't too bad and putting pressure on the skin from underneath. Maybe you can just treat it at home and keep an eye on it.

Hot compresses with a wash cloth ( as hot as she can stand without burning herself ) every hour on the hour and neosporin on it after the compress. She just needs to sit there holding it on the wound and make it hot again when it cools down.

Good luck.

Can she feel her heartbeat in the area?

Whether it's a doctor or a hospital shouldn't make a huge difference, they're both going to prescribe antibiotics which is the only safe way to deal with abscesses.

this is te=he way