• BASIC DRUG
    DISCUSSION
    Welcome to Bluelight!
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
    Benzo Chart Opioids Chart
    Drug Terms Need Help??
    Drugs 101 Brain & Addiction
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums
  • BDD Moderators: Keif’ Richards | negrogesic

Does my drinking sound like drinking in moderation?

Boku_

Bluelighter
I was a daily drinker of beer from age 22 till about 31. I didn't drink obscene amounts of beer everyday but would still consume around 4 425 ml glasses of beer if i could afford it but to be fair towards the end of my ten year period of daily beer drinking i would cut down to just one 425 ml glass of beer five days a week with the remaining 2 days me in indulging in consuming four to five 425 ml glasses of beer on each day. To be honest i could handle the days of only drinking one glass of beer for the day as long as i got a good nights sleep the night before and felt emotional stable. I should explain i am on anti psychotic meds for schizo-affective condition as well as dealing with having a split personality and suffering from PTSD due to childhood and adolescence trauma.

Anyway i am 37 now and for the last few 2-3 years i have been making a committed choice to limit my drinking due to my Doctor informing me it is essential to have two alcohol free days in any 7 day period to avoid chronic liver damage which is typically common with Alcohol drinkers that drink every day 365 days a year.

Anyway my current drinking pattern in any 7 day week consist's of two days a week alcohol free with another two days of me consuming say one 425 ml glass of beer and often a second glass of beer measuring 285 ml . The other 3 days i will let loose and drink 4 to 5 425 ml glasses of beer.

So my question is Does my current drinking pattern sound like drinking in moderation. I'd like to think yes i am a moderate drinker as for the last five years i have managed to hold down a part time job that involves driving a vehicle and i am responsible enough to stay under the legal alcohol driving limit of my local state that is a blood alcohol level less than .05. So i am very much a drinker that can stop at 1 glass of beer if i need to drive. I am aware you could say i have alcoholic tendencies as i like to drink most days of the week but i feel 3 drinking sessions per week consisting of 4 glasses of beer is not exactly drinking to dangerous levels.

What are your guys views and opinions from my listed beer consumption ? Does my drinking pattern sound like a social drinker who drinks in moderation or am a functioning alcoholic with a drinking problem in denial. After all medically speaking i read online if you consume more than 10 standard drinks in any 7 day period without any alcohol free days you are medically speaking a Alcoholic. So you could say i was a Alcoholic in active addiction for ten years but i am now a recovering Alcoholic that drinks 5 days a week with 2 days off to let my liver recover.

For your information i very rarely drink spirits like vodka and never drink wine. My main alcoholic beverage of choice is the Aussie draught beer Carlton draught that is a larger beer with a alcohol level of 4.7 percent. I nearly always drink at my local pub so you could say i am a social drinker but the people i talk to while drinking are more casual acquaintances than close friends.

I guess from the lack of replies my personal level of alcohol consumption is mikey mouse

Hey there OP! I'm really happy to hear that you're taking your drinking into deep consideration. We deal with a lot of different substances and their attached dependencies here on Bluelight and I can say that Alcohol is of the most harmful, both socially and physically. Drinking in general is just not good for you, so kudos for making sure you're doing the right thing.

Alcohol is the American (Western/European) drug. Any other drug use is frowned upon in a very serious way. Just take this into consideration. They say that consuming 3 alcoholic beverages in a sitting is where you're approaching that proverbial "line". If you are only indulging in a few beers every once in a while, I would just chalk that up to living life and enjoying yourself. It's okay to have fun and it certainly sounds like you are not overdoing it.

If you feel a strong urge to drink more or feel that you're consumption is increasing without your intent, then it will be time to revisit this topic with fresh eyes, but for right now, If feel that you're doing everything that a normal red-blooded human being might do in your situation.

Hey there OP! I'm really happy to hear that you're taking your drinking into deep consideration. We deal with a lot of different substances and their attached dependencies here on Bluelight and I can say that Alcohol is of the most harmful, both socially and physically. Drinking in general is just not good for you, so kudos for making sure you're doing the right thing.

Alcohol is the American (Western/European) drug. Any other drug use is frowned upon in a very serious way. Just take this into consideration. They say that consuming 3 alcoholic beverages in a sitting is where you're approaching that proverbial "line". If you are only indulging in a few beers every once in a while, I would just chalk that up to living life and enjoying yourself. It's okay to have fun and it certainly sounds like you are not overdoing it.

If you feel a strong urge to drink more or feel that you're consumption is increasing without your intent, then it will be time to revisit this topic with fresh eyes, but for right now, If feel that you're doing everything that a normal red-blooded human being might do in your situation.

^^^^^
What he said - 100%

Let's not make statements encouraging people actively to use more drugs. Let's also not make statements that treat anybody's drug use as being insignificant based upon our own experiences. I feel like you're probably aware d1nach, but I'll play anyway. 3 beers for a lot of people is definitely enough to have a significant impact on their mental and physical functioning. What was the purpose of this comment man?

The guy clearly isn't trying to get drunk. He's trying to consume the level of Alcohol most appropriate for taking advantage of its benefits without becoming embroiled in its negatives.

Woah good point keif i agree ill remove my statement. my bad

What i meant to say was have a you considered nonalcoholic beer if the long term effects of ethanol on the body is the concern.

If your drinking is not causing you to experience negative results and as you have indicated are using in moderation with consideration of possible repercussions to your drinking I would be inclined to say that your use is "under control". It is wise to remain vigilent in your awareness of consumption though. I view using any substance daily as a dependency though. (I smoke pot daily so I'm not judging you)

^Definitely. One of the main issues with Alcohol, at least in my own opinion, is that it messes with your executive function at a level disproportionate to many other commonly used substances. Let's take Opioids for instance; you can be high and feel great but still maintain the majority of "your own executive function". Consuming Alcohol and reaching a similar level of intoxication and/or euphoria is typically going to mess with your decision-making process in a much more significant way.

It seems like a pretty minor issue, but this (along with hangovers and the destruction of my liver) is why I no longer consume Alcohol (typically). We live in fairly difficult economic times, if you believe the news and economists' outlook, so like many of you, I'm a member of the working poor. If I have a few drinks, I'll be much more inclined to order out for food, even though when sober, I would understand that it's something that I cannot remotely afford. Alcohol fucks with your ability to make appropriate decisions. It's much easier to have a more drinks if you already have several drinks on board.

I apologize for the rambling, but we all need to be careful about our Alcohol intake. It's a very physically/socially destructive drug although I and most others have absolutely no judgement for those who do use Alcohol. I've just seen so much destruction in my life between family, friends and myself, due to Alcohol abuse, disproportionate to even my 10+ year Opioid addiction.

I agree ive used amphetamine daily for like like over half a decade and im 21 almost daily rx and ive been hospitalized 3 times for drug overdose two of which involved alcohol. And ive drank only a few times.