• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

Opioids Does Methadone cause any Serotonin release at all?

Thomas29

Bluelighter
I have been told by a Member here it produces Serotonin and then I have read other people say it doesn't and I can't find any information about it. Maybe it's because the Serotonin Release was discovered in and so small of a release not to be significant enough to study Methadone and it's capability to release serotonin and it might simply just not produce Serotonin or some studies claim it does and some don't like a lot of things like this?

Please discuss and or inform Me of the effects that are a FACT when it comes to daily Methadone Maintenance and I'm using 90MG daily currently which I believe the higher the dose the more noticable and severe the side-effects are.

From what I read, Methadone is also a serotonin re-uptake inhibitor (SSRI), which increases the amount of serotonin in the brain.

SSRIs block the reabsorption (reuptake) of serotonin in the brain, making more serotonin available.

I believe that methadone is one of the opioids that can put you at increased risk for serotonin syndrome. I may have misheard though

S-methadone also prevents the reuptake of serotonin and norepinephrine.
Methadone can cause serotonin syndrome when given with other serotonergic medications

Methadone's affinity at SERT is ~230 nM, NET ~ 4100 nM, but mu-opioid only 3.3nM. So it's about 80x stronger as an opioid than a serotonin reuptake inhibitor.

Presumably it's only a concern at doses > 100mg/d or so.

To be accurate, methadone does not effect the total amount of serotonin, serotonin release, or the rate of serotonin synthesis at all, this just means it acts as a mild SSRI, meaning serotonin that is released into the synapse will persist in its signalling activity longer than normal.

Methadone's affinity at SERT is ~230 nM, NET ~ 4100 nM, but mu-opioid only 3.3nM. So it's about 80x stronger as an opioid than a serotonin reuptake inhibitor.

Presumably it's only a concern at doses > 100mg/d or so.

To be accurate, methadone does not effect the total amount of serotonin, serotonin release, or the rate of serotonin synthesis at all, this just means it acts as a mild SSRI, meaning serotonin that is released into the synapse will persist in its signalling activity longer than normal.

So because the effects are so small, that makes Serotonin Syndrome rare then? (was also reading that it can cause that). Are you a Doctor or something? Thats some pretty detailed stuff, not many people would know about that lol