• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

Opioids Does methadone block MDMA?

Salemcoyote

Bluelighter
Mods, I apologize if this is not the right place to post this, I tried posting it in the MDMA forum twice and still haven't received a single response so I thought I'd try my luck here. I'll try to make it short and simple. I've tried searching for this subject high and low and have found next to nothing. I've noticed most folks who reply aren't speaking from personal experience, unfortunately.

Background: last time I rolled was in the late 90's/early 2000's. Back then the pills used to floor me. The absolute definition of euphoria and hands down my best drug experiences ever.

Cut to now: been a junkie for about a decade, got on methadone maintenance a year ago - 60 mg daily. I still use about a dime bag of tar at night.

So recently I have been able to get my hands on all things MDMA related. I've decided to go with the so-called Dutch super pills - orange Teslas, purple Philipp Pleins, gold Iron Mans, etc.

I've tested these pills out with three different reagents and all of them tested positive for MDMA Simply put: these are not knock offs, though it could be possible they are a low dose (of course they were advertised at 200 + mg)

My wife is ten years younger than me and never experienced MDMA. She went straight to heroin. She is also on methadone maintenance.

So here's my question: since we have tried to roll on several occasions to no avail would it be possible that the methadone is potentially blocking the effects of the MDMA? I mean, we will feel a slight head change and some very minor tactile sensory enhancement, but nothing at all like I had remembered. No euphoria, no eye wiggles - hell, our pupils don't even dilate.

At this point my wife is convinced MDMA is not what it's cracked up to be, but I'm not willing to give up. This stuff has the power to change lives when used in a proper setting. She deserves to experience it at least once. Can anyone provide an answer or even an educated guess? Thanks for your time!

Forgot to mention, we both trip just fine on acid so it's not for a lack of serotonin.

I don't believe methadone should interfere with mdma but I could be wrong. You two aren't on any other medications correct?

It really sounds like your pills don't contain enough mdma. Your description of effects sounds like minor/threshold effects.

Don't let your wife give up. Once it hits her properly she will thank you.

Here's the thing: we tested those pills (orange Teslas with "CP" stamped on back) and they all tested clean and on top of that our "sober" friends (not on methadone) all rolled their asses off! One of my buddies even went so far as to call his experience the best of his life!

Another time we got a gram of crystal MDMA and each took 120 mg. and again, nothing. And once again a friend of my wife's tried it and we WATCHED her roll with our own eyes!

I'm 100% positive it's not the quantity or quality of our stuff. Like I said we both feel threshold effects. It's almost as if we feel "half" the pill. There has to be something to this because I have another friend on methadone and I gave him a Tesla and he said it was bunk.

I mean, methadone dose have slightly different action than some other opioids so maybe there is something about your body chemistry that, along with a tolerance to methadone, gives you a higher than normal tolerance to MDMA.

As long as you don't get crazy cravings or something from doing this, you could always try not taking methadone for two days and taking MDMA the third. Or switch to something like codeine for four days and try taking MDMA.

I have definitely known other people who have felt effects from MDMA on other opioids.

I searched around a bit after replying yesterday to see if methadone blocks mdma and for the most part it seems people report mdma works fine for them while they are on methadone.

How much methadone do you and your wife take each day?

You may have already stated in the other threads you made in the mdma thread but you didn't say in this one so I gotta ask: you and your wife aren't taking ANY other medications/drugs besides the methadone, correct? No antidepressants or anything else?

I have taken mdma while on daily methadone and I rolled as well as usual but I was only taking 5mg of methadone daily at the time...

Opioids/methadone should not interefere with MDMA at all.

When I took tramadol at a daily basis, MDMA was impossible to get working. Now that I am on methadone I tried MDMA again, as MDMA was one of the most wonderful drugs for me back in the days, but it did not work again. I have not considered the science behind on, but I can tell you, that methadone definately make MDMA almost useless for me.
However, I might be looking for the trips similar to those in the 1990s and the early 2000s, and from what I can see from in here, it might not be fair to try to compare these experiences.

I recall tylenol blocking mdma for me once. I was rather young, was in '98.. everyone rolled but me, I blamed the Acetaminophen. Stuff is designed to block neuro-transmitters and mdma is trying to fire them. It was most likely something else, but I always hung on to that. Your post reminds me of that.

Perhaps more ill-logic... 60mg methadone is roughly where the medicine begins to block effects of opiates, right? I always found the more garbage that mdma was cut with, the harder I "rolled". Perhaps there is some pharmacology happening here.

I once got smokeable MDMA from Holland and literally ended my 3 year full time meth addiction to cold turkey because of it. Totally cleared my mind and gave me some dope self-reflection on what true elements of (most) drugs I was addicted to. (Oral fixation, smoking something, social awkwardness/needing to look occupied).

I hope it can also give you some mental elevation however I actually treat MDMA in the same boat as DMT.. It's a once a year (if that) thing for self-reflection not ego-tripping.. Although it carries all the benefits of a amphetamine using it almost like a psychedelic (I do the same with ketamine when I seldom use it) is far more beneficial.

In terms of being on Methadone,[Trigger Warning] I would recommend weaning yourself off it ASAP (gunna get a lot of flak for this.. sorry). The shit looks like something out of The Springfield Nuclear Power Plant and literally zombifies people beyond recognition.. I would almost say without a doubt it's affecting your DOPAMINE levels to alleviate addictive tendencies, which will effect your MDMA use alot!.

This article below shows how studies found it actually blocks your dopamine receptors over time.
http://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/10.1111/j.1471-4159.1972.tb01484.x/abstract

I recommend you try very hard to punch through a few days together off the methadone and when it seems too much have a large dose of your pills/mdma together and think positive and constructive!

Hope it all works out for you

Last edited:
"smokeable mdma" ?

Mdma in salt form is not effective either smoked or vaporized . It may be possible to get effects from vaporized mdma freebase but mdma freebase is a caustic oil at room temp.

Was what you smoked an oil? Just curious, I've always wanted to try vaporizing freebase mdma. If what you smoked/vaporized was a powder then you probably bought some RC that was sold to you as "smokeable mdma"

I searched around a bit after replying yesterday to see if methadone blocks mdma and for the most part it seems people report mdma works fine for them while they are on methadone.

Did you see the stuff about how it basically melts and refines your dopamine receptors though? There is a tonne of info out on that.. If he's been on it for a year he's probably experiencing a mild dopamine resistance..

OP: you still have plenty of time to repair yourself. Don't fret.

Yeah it was wet/gooey and basically scarred the crack pipe but it was an instant overwhelming rush of euphoria that i've never experienced since shelving 2 white heart pills in 2006 (last of a insane batch of e-pills in Australia) I couldn't even keep my mouth shut around the pipe.. I was beaming like it was my first time pilling.

The taste/smell reminded me of ham-soup (weird yeah?) and didn't blow huge clouds like I did with Meth but more refined hotter ones that if I wasn't careful would leave an insane bitter taste on my lips.

"smokeable mdma" ?
Yeah honestly I didn't believe the dealer and thought she could just spot a tweaky sort of person and was selling me wet speed.. I kept a dot of it for oral use and can confirm it was definitely molly. Was pungent as hell too.

That's awesome. I'd love to try it. May have to freebase some mdma try then vaporizing it the next time I get some.

Sorry for the derail OP

That's awesome. I'd love to try it. May have to freebase some mdma try then vaporizing it the next time I get some.

Sorry for the derail OP

just be ready to toss the crack-pipe away if you decided to do it. It's very much worth it if you enjoy smokeable gear.. however it's residue left it beyond repair.

Back to OP's point, MDMA taken in any form can really help self-reflection and grow mental space for positive change. I would encourage that if possible finding a pure(er) form as nearly all pills these days usually contain some sort of smacky/speedy filler to heighten a "rush" or "roll" effect. And the last thing you need coming off a possible methadone withdrawal is a smacky pill or worse.. a methy one. (once the MD wears off). (I'm sure you would know this)

During your tests of the pill did it show pure MDMA?

Last edited:
I am glad to see that everyone is replying to this, I've been desperate for answers.

Okay, to address the question: my wife and I are absolutely not taking any other medications. Zero.

We're on 60 mg daily methadone, and we do about a half gram of heroin every night to help us sleep.

This mdma I have had tested clean, all of my friends say it's fire, and yet me, my girl, and one of our other friends who is on methadone don't feel a thing.

I've sourced crystal (tested clean), liquid (tested clean), and pressed pills - Iron Man, teslas, supremes, minions, bitcoins, punishers - it's all the same. We start to feel as though we are coming up, slight tactile sensory enhancement, and that's it. Absolutely none of the euphoria, no energy, and not even a damn eye wiggle or two.

At first I believe these new super pills were not the same as the stuff we used to get in the late nineties/early aughts (the last time I rolled). I thought that maybe I was wearing rose tinted glasses and I was being nostalgic, falsely remembering MDMA being much better than it was.

But that doesn't make sense because my wife has never done the stuff and she's not feeling shit either. I can say without a doubt it is not my product.

Which leaves me with the only other possibility, and that is the methadone blocking it.

I believe this subject has not been fully researched and for the good of mankind and in the name of science I think it might be my duty to experiment. I am going to skip methadone for three days, using only a bit of heroin to hold me over, and I will try again. I will make a new thread documenting the results. Until then, keep the replies coming, this is extremely fascinating.

Mdma works solely upon serotonin, does it not? And methadone works on dopamine, correct? Therefore they should not effect one another.

It should be noted that my wife and I both trip just fine off of tryptamine based psychedelics, especially LSD. It should also be noted that we don't feel mescaline either, and that is, like mdma, and phenethylamine.

Gnarkill:

Thank you for your words of encouragement. This whole process has been an undertaking with the hopes that the MDMA will work as a stepping stone to help us get off methadone once and for all. I want my dopamine back!

That's insane it's not working those all sound like those super 400 mg presses that are crazy strong.... I'll just say my best experiences was dosing 1-1.5 mg/kg following up with 0.5 mg/kg a couple hours in. My last dose at the low end of the spectrum was very strong yet not overwhelming. You should definitely try a lower dose once you stop the methadone in case it was blocking it as overwhelming mdma experiences while they can be enjoyable they aren't as useful as functional experiences.

Best of luck to you.

One thing many people seem to forget is that methadone apart from being an opioid agonist is also a pretty potent NMDA antagonist. This action in the long run is what is at least partially responsible for blunting of emotions and cognitive functions, I believe. Also, do not be mistaken that any drug is completely selective for one target or that an action at a certain target is just that, neurochemistry of the brain and nervous system is complex, dopamine, noradrenaline, serotonin, GABA, glutamate, and opioid systems are interconnected, an effect produced by receptor activation or blockade causes downstream effects.