• BASIC DRUG
    DISCUSSION
    Welcome to Bluelight!
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
    Benzo Chart Opioids Chart
    Drug Terms Need Help??
    Drugs 101 Brain & Addiction
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums
  • BDD Moderators: Keif’ Richards | negrogesic

Opioids Does methadone "block" heroin's effects in the same sense that suboxone does?

OpiateKiller

Bluelighter
It's pretty common knowledge that Suboxone blocks heroin out, especially when taking the two substances within a 24 hour period or on the same day.

Does methadone also "block" heroin? Or is it just stronger and has higher affinity to brain receptors that heroin essentially doesn't work?

The other day I tried to get high through my dose of methadone and I was literally shooting gram shots and basically feeling nothing, as my friend who is not on methadone was nodding out..?

He told me methadone does block heroin but I didn't know it was that effective?

I'm gonna try again 48 hours post no methadone and see if the dope is just trash or the methadone really was blocking it heavily

Methadone does not block like buprenorphine and one can easily OD if tries to "break through". My understanding is that methadone is used in replacement therapy because it is long lasting and less euphoric. The thing that methadone does is raise ones tolerance to the point that other opioids are not anymore sufficiently potent to achieve high from them (without risking OD). Other thing is that if you are on maintenence dose of 100mg daily, your body us do flooded with potent opioid that other opiods simply do not have enough remaning mu opioid receptors to exert their effect.

I am sure that it is also more to the story, but methadones mechanisms of action is not similar to buprenorphine. It does not have such affinity to mu opioid receptor and it does not have ceiling effect as buprenorphine.

Methadone does not block like buprenorphine and one can easily OD if tries to "break through". My understanding is that methadone is used in replacement therapy because it is long lasting and less euphoric. The thing that methadone does is raise ones tolerance to the point that other opioids are not anymore sufficiently potent to achieve high from them (without risking OD). Other thing is that if you are on maintenence dose of 100mg daily, your body us do flooded with potent opioid that other opiods simply do not have enough remaning mu opioid receptors to exert their effect.

I am sure that it is also more to the story, but methadones mechanisms of action is not similar to buprenorphine. It does not have such affinity to mu opioid receptor and it does not have ceiling effect as buprenorphine.

Thank you for this makes a lot of sense. I am on 120 mg and I had a feeling the dope I got was just trash because it is. Other dope I have gotten did get me high, even through my methadone, but everything you said makes sense: thanks

Yeah be careful trying to cut through the methadone high with heroin, especially gram shots!

Yep, this is playing with fire. I have known people who were trying to shoot through the methadone but instead of opioid bliss they got the death kiss. It is not a game worth playing. Especially on higher doses of methadone.