• BASIC DRUG
    DISCUSSION
    Welcome to Bluelight!
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
    Benzo Chart Opioids Chart
    Drug Terms Need Help??
    Drugs 101 Brain & Addiction
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums
  • BDD Moderators: Keif’ Richards | negrogesic

Benzos Does magnesium delay Benzo withdrawal???

Scrillion

Bluelighter
Hi,

I’m going to be tapering off of Valium soon. I’ve been taking theanine and magnesium, which have helped with relaxing and sleep. However I just read a few reports that magnesium actually bonds to GABA receptors, though I’m not sure if it supposedly binds to the Benzo site on the GABA A receptor. This information concerns me because I don’t want to downregulate my receptors any further or prevent them from upregulating as I taper.

So, I’m a bit confused on if magnesium is harmful for Benzo withdrawal or not. It definitely helps me, so I’m hoping I can continue taking it.

I’m taking Magnesium L-Threonate, which seems to work much better than any other form of magnesium. There’s 144mg of mg in a tablet and 1 tablet does me well. I also take 200mg theanine.

Does anyone have any experience with magnesium during Benzo withdrawal/taper that they could share with me? Or if you know about this subject please feel free to share what you know?

I greatly appreciate it!! Thanks in advance!!!

I don't think anyone can tell you definitively but anything that positively modulates that system, even indirectly, might slow its upregulation, in theory.

I wish flumazenil was used for the upregulation of GABA-A in the US as it is in Italy. I'm not certain it works necessarily but it would be interesting to explore.

Personally I would say the benefits of
Magnesium are too great to stop taking them even if they do cause upregulation. I can’t imagine the impact of magnesium on GABA to be that drastic and while it likely does work in these receptors I believe it’s in a different fashion than drugs do.

I don't think anyone can tell you definitively but anything that positively modulates that system, even indirectly, might slow its upregulation, in theory.

I wish flumazenil was used for the upregulation of GABA-A in the US as it is in Italy. I'm not certain it works necessarily but it would be interesting to explore.

Yeah, me too. From everything I’ve read over the last several years it sounds like it works well. I know there’s a clinic in Australia that does it too. But traveling that far during these times isn’t really an option.

I’m more concerned if the magnesium will cause more downregulation. What do you think about that?

Thanks!!!

I’m going to discuss this with my Dr next week.

i dont have experience with magnesium during Benzo withdrawal/taper but i can help
magnesium works by blocking NMDA receptors but you need 1g/day to do that in fact you need 9g as loading dose to start that, tolerance develop after 20 day and you can't restore the effect by doubling the dose, magnesium and theanine or weak/trash drugs you need someting more strong like pregabaline/gabapentine

I respectfully disagree. Theanine is just an amino acid and is in things like green tea. Magnesium is just a mineral that’s in foods like bananas, yogurt, and vegetables. These aren’t “drugs” in the traditional sense. Magnesium is a mineral and amino acids are broken down proteins. I don’t want to take any more drugs, especially something that I could become physically dependent on like pregabalin or gabapentin, which both have horrible withdrawals of their own. I’m only interested in helping my nervous system deal and heal by supplementing with a little extra amount of amino acids, vitamins, or minerals that the body already uses and contains. I’ve made the mistake of substituting one drug for another and the results are pointless and just lead to more suffering, dependency, withdrawals etc. I’ll be using the Ashton method for tapering off of Diazepam extremely slow to minimize discomfort and withdrawals. Also pregabalin and gabapentin work on voltage gated calcium channels, among other subunits, and in my experience really don’t help with Benzo withdrawals. I’ve experienced significant relief from a single dose of around 200mg of theanine and 400-1,500 mg of magnesium, depending on the form of magnesium. No loading up was necessary.

Last edited: