• BASIC DRUG
    DISCUSSION
    Welcome to Bluelight!
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
    Benzo Chart Opioids Chart
    Drug Terms Need Help??
    Drugs 101 Brain & Addiction
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums
  • BDD Moderators: Keif’ Richards | negrogesic

Kratom Does Kratom cause seizures?

Mureceptor

Bluelighter
I am a hard core bodybuilder and trained so hard I got Rhabdomyolysis. I also had a seizure. It seems that the Wellbuterin and Finestride I take contributed to the seizure. I am in a lot of pain. I have Tramadol, but Tramadol causes seizures and I prefer Kratom anyway. Does Kratom cause seizures?

Thanks

I am a hard core bodybuilder and trained so hard I got Rhabdomyolysis. I also had a seizure. It seems that the Wellbuterin and Finestride I take contributed to the seizure. I am in a lot of pain. I have Tramadol, but Tramadol causes seizures and I prefer Kratom anyway. Does Kratom cause seizures?

Thanks
Absolutely not, otherwise it would be a controlled substance if it was causing seizures

Thanks
I've been on and off kratom at very high doses for years and never experienced a seizure. I have also conducted about as much research as there is publicly and have not seen reports of kratom causing seizures by itself. It very well could have some contraindications that might precipitate a seizure if you're prone to them, that has been stated in a few pieces of literature.

Being that kratom is so ubiquitous now, and like nomorebenzos said if it was causing effects like that it wouldn't be so widely available. Kratom is great for pain, there are tons of different strains/blends that honestly as an opiate addict blew my socks off a few times. The extracts are also great if you find a good one.

Thanks guys,

You confirm my research. Since a lot of research has been done on Tramadol and Wellbuterin, and they HAVE associated them with seizures, we can be fairly certain that in fact they DO cause seizers, and that has also been my personal experience. I think the one reference I found regarding Kratom and seizures blamed Kratom for nearly everything, including war in the middle east and school shootings. Pure nonsense. I just took 3 grams (I normally take 12, 3-4 times a week) and am fine.

I have found this board to be very accurate. The main problem, according to this board regarding Kratom, is addiction, and that is why I have always limited my Kratom use to 10-12 grams 3-4 times a week. I have never had any addiction problems with it, but am sure to be extremely careful. Kratom has been a wonder drug for me. I am already getting significant pain relief and will take another 3 grams in a while. I have never Aad a seizure until recently, and am fairly certain it is the Rhabdo that set it off. Very nasty condition. Nonetheless I will be avoiding Welbuterin and Tramadol. Hopefully I will be able to return to my every other day Kratom use as it works so well for me. I just turned 60 and plan on returning to the gym as soon as I am able. I will tell you this, Rhabdo is no joke, it can kill you.

Congratulations on taking your first dive into this amazing medicinal plant! Tread carefully as the withdrawals can be super hellacious.

Actually there is a fantastic subreddit devoted to people quitting kratom, I participated in the forums for several years and you will get some great information about kratom in general but geared towards withdrawals and recovery. The stories in there are the stuff of nightmares, trust me I was a contributor. That being said, using intermittently is the key. Once you fall in love with kratom and begin using daily is when the habit becomes real.

Since you're a gym rat I would look into how kratom affects hormones. Personally I had issues with my testosterone and thyroid stimulating hormone while on kratom. In addiction to thinning hair and lowered sex drive which makes sense beyond rooted in the testosterone affects. Inhad blood work done so I know that it affected me pretty severely after years of use.

I wish you the best and I'm excited for you as well, since you're enjoying benefits of kratom consumption.

It doesn't seem to cause seizures in people not prone to them, i've been taking it for 5+ years and haven't had an issue like that.

With that said, you really should not be taking wellbutrin and tramadol together. They are two drugs that are notorious for causing seizures on their own, let alone when combined. If your doctor is prescribing both or even one of these then you need to bring this to their attention. Seizures are are extremely dangerous especially in someone who's doing something where a momentary slip up can cause serious injury like a bodybuilder, or even just driving a car.
Truth is kratom and it’s respective alkaloids don’t have a fraction of the research done on them as something like tramadol, but I don’t remember seeing a lot of reports of seizure from it
This pretty much sums it up^
I haven't seen anyone here say they have seizures from it, but since the research is so lacking we don't know if it exacerbates seizure risk.

Thanks guys,

Yes, my doc has pulled me off Wellbuterin completely. She is great but her bill collector is a problem. I told her (her bill collector) that I was in the ICU for 4 days and she still would not let me talk to my doc, claiming I owed money for a bill I actually already paid. I don't like to get people fired, but what she did was inexcusable and when my doc found out she was pissed. When I got out of the hospital I kept taking Wellnuterin, and had another (fortunately mild) seizure. I could not really see out of my right eye and when my sight came back I lost debt perception. This happened about an hour after I took my Wellbutrin, so I merely put 2 and 2 together.

I already have trust issues when it comes to doctors (my last Psych was so bad to me that she was disciplined by the medical board). But now I am on Buspar, which is not an antidepressant, but I feel great on it. I was on lithium as a mood stabilizer and my doc switched me over to Tegretol because it is anti-seizure and it is working well for me. I think I have found a good doc, which is a needle/haystack proposition. Most only want my money.

And yes....I am scared poopless of the addiction issue I have read horror stories. However I have been using Kratom for a year now with no problems. The key is not using it every day E2D has worked extremely well for me, it is a wonder drug. I has been 2 weeks of extreme pain...worse than recovery from major surgery. I had Vicodim in the hospital and honestly I prefer Kratom. But yeah....I am SUPER paranoid about addiction. I have seen close friends die from OXY and the like and heard Kratom withdraws can be just as bad so yeah treading VERY lightly. Taken 9 grams tonight....and that means none tomorrow, no exception to the rule.

I took 3 grams, waited an hour, then 3 then 3, each spaced out an hour and I feel the best I have since I was hospitalized 16 days ago.

My true addiction is the gym. I literally will train to the death. But I still only have partial mobility in my left arm and am still horse from pneumonia and intubation. Trained my son today, an elite possibly scholarship bound football player/wrestler who will be varsity next year as a shore and I also have a gal I am training for a physique competition. Training those two keeps my competitive urges sated, so I am blessed.

Just want to say what a fantastic forum this has been. I have access to many drugs, including Benzos, and this forum keeps me on the straight and narrow. This forum scared me so bad that I will not take valium more than twice a week. So to say I have gotten harm reduction is an understatement.

Lol. Yeah I don't like fear mongering, I don't believe it's effective. But when you read the first hand posts of people suffering from addiction, the mental and physical pain that addiction causes becomes very visceral.

Glad to hear that you're okay and your recovery is in progress.

Absolutely not, otherwise it would be a controlled substance if it was causing seizures
Actually these people deciding about what gets controlled and what not DO want to see kratom banned - but not due to seizures but because they're an ignorant bunch of idiots listening to pharm corp propaganda and fighting a lost war on drugs.

I'd say no, kratom when taken alone by itself is so safe that people tolerate 100+g/d in excessive cases.

Well, since I got Rhabdo I have done Kratom twice....good lord I got amazing pain relief, and had no probs whatsoever. Well except from wife who thinks anything not from big Pharma is dangerous, bless her soul. I showed her the list of meds MOST likely to cause seizures and she saw that Wellbuterin was #1 on every list. I am going to do some Kratom tonight, shoulder/trap/left lat is throbbing. I tell ya guys, you don't want Rhabdo. Of course you have to train like a lunatic to get it.

Well except from wife who thinks anything not from big Pharma is dangerous,
Same here with my girlfriend. She actually thinks anything besides plants was dangerous but as almost everybody these days she is much more accepting to pharma use than to recreational substances, let alone these where the first google results link to shady pages screaming 'abuse' or 'harm' :/

Yeah, bupropion/Wellbutrin is heavy shit. It's basically the worst cathinone you could imagine, re-labeled as antidepressant and sold. They say it was a NDRI which is wrong because first-pass metabolism makes it a prodrug for hydroxynorbupropion which is a pure NRI and responsible for the seizure risk. In other time they dosed 600mg/d and more, seemingly with max. 300mg/d the seizure risk isn't that high but it's one of these substances which could serve as an example that pharma regulation doesn't work. They pulled many better substances due to minor side effects and bupropion was re-approved even with this high risk for seizures.
I had bupropion twice, once I was using 100mg XR dextromethorphan a day along with it and this gave the most pronounced stimulation I ever encountered so far, this combo is actually in approval for therapy resistant depression! Never imagined that they just even considered approving this. Second time was together with venlafaxine when it did next to nothing besides inducing tinnitus. But both times just 150mg/d.

For approval a pharm doesn't need to be safe. It needs not to have recreational potential.

I no longer take the Wellbuturin, my psych changed me over to Buspar which is technically not an anti depressant, but is an anti anxiety med. I much, much prefer this drug, it is excellent. Wellbuterin never did anything good for me. I got a clonic tonic seizers from Wellbuterin and Finistride. Prior to that I would smoke marijuana maybe twice a week (3-4 puffs at night) and take valium maybe once or twice a week. I only take the valium if I cannot get to sleep, and I usually wait until 3 in the morning to take it, and only take half a pill. I do not drink or take any recreational drugs. Since my seizure I stopped marijuana and or Delta 8. It was effortless to stop. I have been in extreme pain (Rhabdo is as painful as major surgery) but still only use Kratom 3 times a week. I have not been training, I still have limited use of my left arm which was 100% paralyzed for nearly 3 weeks. I obviously don't take finestride anymore, just accept my hair falling out. I am pretty much always sober and have absolutely no drug addiction, except for the drugs my psych prescribes.

Nonetheless, and here is the crazy part, my wife wants me to go to rehab. I said "rehab for what? I have not smoked pot in nearly a month and take a grand total of 1 valium a week." She said "I don't know, just go to rehab." Also, it seems like the medical report tried to portray me as a drug addict. I tested negative for opioids which are admittedly a big problem in the bodybuilding community...I have Tramadol but never take it because I don't like it...and it also causes seizures, so I did not take it even though I was in extreme pain. I tested negative for everything except valium and marijuana. But that is because pot stay in for 30 days, so they view an occasional user as someone who smokes 24/7...I know people like this and am most certainly not one of them. I just don't like pot that much.

I know Kratom is addictive, but I simply don't use it enough. I use it because my pain levels are extraordinary. I trained in MMA for 17 years and have fought multiple matches on a broken leg, continued to fight after having my eye socket and cheekbone shattered (my face is full of metal) I take more pain than your average person. I read my medical report and apparently I died on the table and was brought back. I think the hospital is just trying to protect itself. They really screwed up by keeping me on Wellbuterin, and it seems now that my voice is permanently damaged from the intubation tube I sported for more than 4 days. The knuckleheads used one that was too large. I sound like Batman. Everyone says I should sue them, but that is really not my style.

The only ting I am really addicted to is exercise. I actually tried a short bike ride yesterday and it was wonderful.

Its' possible, but my best guess would be that Kratom does not contribute in a meaningful way to seizures. The active ingredient, if you will, is a family of compounds known as Mitragynines. Mitragynine itself is the biggest one, but there are analogs present both in the plant and in black-market pharmaceutical preparations we have seen like 7-HydroxyMitragynine, which we know from limited research to be essentially an Opioid agonist like any other.

You're taking multiple substances that are considered well-known for provoking seizures, so I think you have your answers there. Both Tramadol (Ultram) and Buproprion (Wellbutrin) are pretty notorious for the seizures that they produce.

Its' possible, but my best guess would be that Kratom does not contribute in a meaningful way to seizures. The active ingredient, if you will, is a family of compounds known as Mitragynines. Mitragynine itself is the biggest one, but there are analogs present both in the plant and in black-market pharmaceutical preparations we have seen like 7-HydroxyMitragynine, which we know from limited research to be essentially an Opioid agonist like any other.

You're taking multiple substances that are considered well-known for provoking seizures, so I think you have your answers there. Both Tramadol (Ultram) and Buproprion (Wellbutrin) are pretty notorious for the seizures that they produce.
Yes, those are the worst. Have not taken either in over 3 weeks.

It’s a fairly strong delta agonist so in higher doses it might produce seizures.