• Psychedelic Drugs Welcome Guest
    View threads about
    Posting RulesBluelight Rules
    PD's Best Threads Index
    Social ThreadSupport Bluelight
    Psychedelic Beginner's FAQ

Does HPPD come in audio (aural) as well as visual?

Thomas Davie

Moderator: CD
Staff member
As the subject says. I have mild HHPPD (visual), and it doesn't bother me in the slightest. One friend referred to it as the gift that psychs can keep giving.

I guess what I'm thinking of as aural HPPD would be the perception of audio patterns superimposed on top of one's normal hearing. Subjectively, I think this would be quite distracting, and could even be debilitating.

Anyone?

Thanks

Tom

IME, HPPD has remained for me in the form of stretching my reality that I already am seeing to see what my anxiety ANTICIPATES to see, whether or not it is there because that is how I experience perception distortion in trips. Example (while sober), driving down the highway and seeing the overhead highway light spectrums colors split up, but because I am anxious that I might get pulled over by police, I subconsciously focus my attention on the reds/blues to scope out flashing police lights, thus in turn I see the reds/blues of the overhead lights, making my mind believe I am seeing cop lights. Same thing happens when anxious and looking for headlight shapes (I know the shape of Crown Victoria headlights), eventually my mind will convince itself it saw the shape if i see even a slightly similar curve on the lights. I believe the same thing happens for people every day who've never ingested a psychoactive in their life; just two days ago as I was chatting with a coworker and asked "So how's it been since your ex?" and she heard "So do you you wanna have sex?" (I know she was influenced by the fact that just moments prior we were having a conversation about one of her "boy toys"),it happens all the time and people don't even realize it.

I think once one has learned the ability to manually manipulate audio on psychedelics, one may be able to take that experience with them into their sober life. I'm assuming that's what might have happened with you. I hope that helped.

Tinnitus is certainly associated with HPPD, but to my knowledge only this certain drug that manipulates audio is associated with true audio HPPD. I think wiki's page on HPPD talked about it.

Psyhedelic induced psychosis is a different matter though, and can certainly cause all sorts of hallucinations.

Are auditory hallucinations possible, sure. I had that happen the other day while I was to sleepy. This was benign and easily ignored. The hallucinations faintly resembled a person scanning through radio channels. Are y'all familiar with the Transformers movies? The sounds were soft and sounded the same as Bumble Bee.

My classical psychedelic usage didn't cause this. I was tired.

One of the OEV's that I get on mushrooms and 150+ ug of a Lysergamide are perceptual distortions similar to auras or haloes surrounding objects; except they aren't haloes or auras, they are infinitesimally small lines of calligraphy surrounding an object (any object, all objects). It's almost as if every object has a definition, description, meaning or purpose. I spend a lot of my trips trying to discern the writing :) Which o course I can never quite manage to do....because the more I concentrate on the scrolling lines of writing, the smaller and smaller it becomes.

The approximate audio equivalent I sometimes get is hearing lots and lots of voices all whispering at once, trying to say something. And I try to do the same as with the halo/words - make out what is being said, and of course, this too is pointless. The quieter I become, the lower the volume of the voices, and the harder it is to make them out

It's not disturbing - staying motionless and silent is zenlike and quite calming. To date, these audio images have not crossed over into consensus reality, and I don't expect they will. I guess I'm wondering if it's pattern recognition just of or on a different level than visual.

Tom

I have had it happen. For about a week after a heavy trip, people's voices sounded ridiculously soft and close to my ear, a little bit like it was recorded with a shitty fuzzy microphone. It would make me shutter as if someone was actually breathing and whispering right in my ear. It was a little unsettling but not that bad.

I have very bad HPPD and i experience auditory hallucinations alot. Most of them voices and knocking sounds very similar to those experience on deliriants like DPH, scopolomine, and sleep deprivation as well as distortions of sound more like that of LSD, DiPT, nBome, MXE, AM-2201 and other more traditional psychedelic audio disturbances such as fluctuations of time, pitch, tone, and delay. This tends to happen to me after an extended moments of heavy focusing, boredom or prolonged staring. But in my case my HPPD has become very bad over the last year. I see tracers on all objects all of the time now, everything is very lucid with trails and swarms of static patterns and flying squiggles at all moments of the day, everyday, with no end. I dont mind it at all though since now ive adapted to it. It not a problem at all other than driving at night can be extremely difficult or impossible. Its very hard to get used to the auditory hallucinations though, its not easy to ignore random noises, voices, and changes in sound since they are not as predictable and constant as the visual hallucinations.

Are auditory hallucinations possible, sure. I had that happen the other day while I was to sleepy. This was benign and easily ignored. The hallucinations faintly resembled a person scanning through radio channels. Are y'all familiar with the Transformers movies? The sounds were soft and sounded the same as Bumble Bee.

My classical psychedelic usage didn't cause this. I was tired.

Yes this is common especially when you are extremely tired, or falling asleep.

At times when I was stoned on herb I would hear someone's voice when they were talking to me on the phone and it would sound exactly like someone else's voice that I knew.

But this is common, and this was in the age of land line phones before everyone had mobile phone.