• Cannabis Discussion Welcome Guest
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules

Does holding in your hits make the high stronger?

Meow1243

Bluelighter
I've had mixed answers to this question, if anybody could back up their answer with some scientific evidence that would be wonderful :) for me personally I feel that holding in my hit makes a huge difference. I can take one hit, hold it in for about 7-10 seconds and get completely blazed. Or I can take 3-5 hits and achieve the same high. If it is in fact true that holding in a hit makes no difference, then I'm guessing that my "crazy high" from holding in my hits is all just in my head. Either way it really helps with conserving bud lol.

holding your breath for longer than the time it takes for all the THC to be absorbed will just lead to unnecessary oxygen deprivation.

just hold your hits for 5 seconds max ime

I'm no pulmonologist but I'm pretty sure that the maximum amount of a given drug is absorbed extremely rapidly through the alveoli when smoked, so I don't think holding in your hits for an inordinate amount of time does anything.

To a extent it will. I use to think it did and would always hold my hits long as i can or like 3-5 seconds but honestly i think that after like 1-2 seconds it dosent make a diff.

Salutations Meow1243,

...all just in my head.

Literally? I mean, that's where i guessed the cloud comes from when i toke in my veranda, seriously: an intake itself will last only for a brief couple seconds, i'd say, while there are times i can relax enjoying 4 ~ 5 recirculated exhales, euh... M'well, that's how it seems anyway so i concluded that's where it must be waiting between partial respirations.

...really helps with conserving...

Vaping in burst mode can generate about 3 thick tokes and yet leave a cannabic bowl with relatively little discoloration, which doesn't mean i don't flirt with high temperatures eventually, though i usually prefer to blend/replenish the bowl and keep pre-vaped material for cookies, as i sure like to cook those once in a while.

Still, i don't perceive my particular gymnastic as "holding the hit". On the contrary, movement appears to promote my appreciation senses. There's not much anything static about it and it takes less now, but that's me.

Good day, have fun!! =D

I find it has to do more with how deeply I inhale than how long I hold the breath. If I inhale deep down and fill my lungs to their capacity as much as possible, I find the high has a different quality than if I just do short inhales. I know that sounds subjective and scientifically implausible but it's the truth.

I think you hit more surface area in your lungs if you do deep breathing, so I think its safe to say that it would affect the high.

I find it has to do more with how deeply I inhale than how long I hold the breath. If I inhale deep down and fill my lungs to their capacity as much as possible, I find the high has a different quality than if I just do short inhales. I know that sounds subjective and scientifically implausible but it's the truth.

yea same. with vape hits i just hold it in anyway, with smoke i don't see the point because it keeps more particulates in and doesn't seem to add much to the experience

Without providing any specific source of information, I'd like to share a few thoughts that make scientific sense and could be plausible.

1- It makes sense that a deeper inhalation causes a larger portion of the THC (or oxygen for that matter) to be absorbed, because the area where absorption is possible is deeper in the lungs (you cant absorb THC in your mouth, throat, upper respiratory tract, whereas you get maximal absorption in the alveolis). In that sense, any smoke left in the upper respiratory tract is basically wasted, for that reason I tend to inhale some air after inhaling on the smoke. It's kinda like the air is 'pushing down' on the smoke and nothing will be wasted in my throat.

2- It also makes sense that a dynamic air flow will cause better absoption than the classic 'inhale and hold', because the THC in the smoke (or vapor) needs to be near the tissue to be able to pass through it, but if the THC is in a stable position in the middle of the alveoli, it will not be absorbed. Moving the smoke around could solve this problem. For this reason, I sometimes breathe rapidly in short gasps a few times before completely exhaling. This technique is null if THC is absorbed almost instantly though (I don't have the info here).

Just tossing some ides out, no articles to cite or anything obivously.

In my experience holding the hit in for about 3-5 seconds does make it stronger especially if it's straight green

I only hold in vaporizer hits. Smoke hits get expelled after I fill my lungs. I even take a few big breaths to clear out the remaining little bit of smoke.

Like ImightBEaPOTATO, I always pull in air after a hit.

People in this thread seem to be saying that holding in hits longer (like 'ghosting' a hit, where no smoke comes out on the exhale) does nothing more than exhaling pretty quickly. I wonder if these same people are willing to decry hotboxing.

Like ImightBEaPOTATO, I always pull in air after a hit.

People in this thread seem to be saying that holding in hits longer (like 'ghosting' a hit, where no smoke comes out on the exhale) does nothing more than exhaling pretty quickly. I wonder if these same people are willing to decry hotboxing.

This is how I see it.

Holding smoke in gets me slightly higher. Tried and true.. but it also has worse side effects and the health concerns aren't worth it in my opinion.

Hotboxing.. I don't think it works. A lot of the THC gets destroyed during combustion and whatever's left is mostly absorbed by your lungs so surely the amount of THC actually in the air is so small that the effect would be negligible.

Vapor on the other hand is a whole different story. You can most definitely "hotbox" a small enclosure with vapor. Holding in the hits is also more benifitial for vapor since it is absorbed slower than smoke, it is not harmful to do so (to my knowledge) and visible vapor expelled is THC not absorbed. I try to ghost em. Or "re-breathe"

With smoke I hold in for 3-5 seconds.

With vapor I do at least 30 seconds and re-breath.

depends on how high im trying to get. Say im very low on weed, so i'll hold all my hits even longer. I'll be a little higher but not by much.