• Psychedelic Drugs Welcome Guest
    View threads about
    Posting RulesBluelight Rules
    PD's Best Threads Index
    Social ThreadSupport Bluelight
    Psychedelic Beginner's FAQ

Does edible cannabis compare to mushroom/lsd trip at all?

Answer's to the OP's question is an emphatic no, not even close!

High dose oral cannabinoids brought me into a state I'd rather call delusional rather than psychedelic. And the perceptional disturbances weren't what I learned to call visuals, a more fitting term would be hallucinations. I learned nothing from the experience and it wasn't even remotely enjoyable. There's no need for ultra high dose cannabis experiments, does take you to a place you can't take back anything useful. At leas that's the case with me, YMMV.

I can't speak for natural mushrooms themselves, but as for 4-HO-DMT (Psilocin) and 4-AcO-DMT (Psilacetin, theorised to also break down somewhat into Psilocin when consumed) - both at low doses feel very similar to smoking a good sativa, but with more of an alien spacey feel than the long thought trains and random ideas that accompany weed.

At higher doses they diverge a lot more from each other, and imo high dose weed or synthetic cannabinoids becomes more and more like a dissociative or even a dissociative/deliriant than a psychedelic.

Yeah, the dissociative/deliriant characterisation is spot on, reality is totally warped in an unpleasant way and you have no idea if you should be upset about it, because it's not entirely clear if you are still alive. Totally pointless.

I used to get fractals from cannabis.
It was fucking crazy trippy, similar to shrooms but still far from it. (I had only experienced shrooms/DXM at the time.)

90% of the time, it just isn't in the same ball park for me but sometimes with seriously heavy dosed oral cannabis it was hard for me to distinguish from a low to moderate but not full mushroom trip. Still: feeling extremely spaced out and seeing entire rugs undulate as if on high sea... like I said: sometimes it can approach it, so yes compare to it, but no never substitute for one.

So if i was uncomfortable with large oral doses of cannabis does that mean i would most likely have a bad trip with psychs?

Not necessarily, overdosing on cannabis can happen if you have low tolerance, heavy shit like hash oil or use an oral way of administering it and the uncomfortable feeling you are describing can just be a common reaction that is also seen when people take too much JWH-018 (a synthetic cannabinoid that has very potent action).
People typically don't realize that even with tolerance from smoking weed regularly they can still get overdose reactions for example with oral dosing or by taking a little too much JWH-018, instead most think that the tolerance makes them immune to such reactions.
One of the most common symptoms of the overdose reaction I am talking about is feeling terror and being afraid of dying.

It may be a sign to just start extra low if you want to try psychedelics, but starting low is a guideline for everybody.

If you would get uncomfortable and anxious from every more or less 'trippy' or reality destabilizing drug you ever tried, then that's a much more serious sign to be careful with full-on classic psychedelics.

I was mostly uncomfortable with the physical symptoms like heart pounding, feeling like my body/jaw is tightening, etc.

i enjoyed the very mild visual effects i was experiencing

A pounding heart (palpitations) is typically part of a panic reaction even if that panic is mostly felt physically. That may also make you feel tight and edgy.
This reaction doesn't have to come from an actual reason to be anxious, it's just chemically based. To be exact I think that it's over-agonization of the CB1 receptor that causes this. Whatever the reason, it's well known with cannabinoids. But regular smokers experience a ceiling effect that prevents them from getting this. Probably compounds like CBD and CBN act to reduce the effect of THC to keep it under control.
Smoking 3 joints as fast as you can seems to be much more likely to cause an overdose reaction than smoking 10 joints slowly. (Just an illustration)

Like I said: using cannabis in a way that is most psychedelic also brings the risk of said panicky feelings (physically manifesting or mentally or both), panic is also possible on real/classic psychedelics and can be dramatic if not handled well, since the psychedelics have bigger potential to amplify feelings the more potent they become they can also amplify fear more.
That doesn't mean you should now start fearing that fear, because that only makes it a self fulfilling prophecy. Starting with low doses is unlikely to cause instant panic like that - if you decide to go through with it just take it easy and use 1/3 or 1/2 doses the first times and slowly and steadily increase if you like it. That way if you don't react well to the general feeling of tripping itself, you can just handle it better and just not do it anymore.

They're about as similar as chocolate and cabbage.

A serotonergic psychedelic trip is nothing like a weed high. A cannabis high is actually closer to the feelings a dissociative might produce than a 5-HT psychedelic. Thoughts are muddier than normal, whereas on psychedelic drugs your mind is as clear as a bell, often more lucid even than sober. Cannabis lends towards feelings of unreality and even depersonalization at high doses. Cannabis makes you feel "mashed", whereas psychedelics have the opposite effect, making you feel present in the moment.

The thing they do have in common is that they both have the capability to enhance the acitivity of your thoughts (with cannabis tending toward the more anxiogenic and paranoid thought streams). They both enhance appreciation of music in a psychedelic way, and they both alter your perception of time (and sometimes space if it is a strong cannabis high). Still, they phenomenological way one experiences these distortions is quite different on each substance.

Weed can make your mind "trippy", but this is no way synonymous with psychedelia.

A lot of people making the "absence of evidence is evidence of absence" mistake here.
Just because you haven't tripped really hard on cannabis yourself doesn't prove it's not possible.
So: I disagree that they are *that* different, I just think that the absolute maximum effect you can get from cannabis should not be underestimated and can be extremely intense but still, with mushrooms or DMT it can be even more extreme and intense.
That's talking about extreme potential though. Typically I agree that the ceiling reached with cannabis is just a tad higher than where the effects of classic psychedelics begin. But there is a quantitative overlap IMO, if it is also qualitative is debatable. Like I said I have had experiences where spacecake was undestinguishable from mushrooms to me, but that was with super heavy spacecake of a kind I have never been able to bake myself.

So if i was uncomfortable with large oral doses of cannabis does that mean i would most likely have a bad trip with psychs?

No. Weed has made many people anxious (myself included). Psychedelics don't feel the same in this regard at all. The anxiety from weed is horrible; a sense of futility and dread. It feels very much like a relentless overload of catecholamines (dopamine, noradrenaline, adrenaline) combined with very low blood sugar. It also causes anxiety without showing you why you are feeling it.

This is not the same as the psychedelics. Psychedelics do none of these things. The potential anxiety that may arise during a psychedelic trip is clear and understandable, and you can see exactly why it is manifesting. You can trace it to the very thoughts you are having, and you can even see where those thoughts originate. This is very therapeautic. Furthermore, the anxiety doesn't even feel the same. It is just an amplified version of any normal worries or confusion you may feel anyway.

I disagree with Solipsis that if you are prone to anxiety on weed, you should take it easy on psychedelics. In my experience this is not true at all. In fact, psychedelics can help you to even come to terms with any subconscious anxieties you may have been carrying around with you. I used to have terrible panic reactions with weed. But when I started using psychedelics I was fine, and they actually helped me break through the barriers of understanding and dealing with negative emotions (like anxiety).

A lot of people making the "absence of evidence is evidence of absence" mistake here.
Just because you haven't tripped really hard on cannabis yourself doesn't prove it's not possible.
So: I disagree that they are *that* different, I just think that the absolute maximum effect you can get from cannabis should not be underestimated and can be extremely intense but still, with mushrooms or DMT it can be even more extreme and intense.
That's talking about extreme potential though. Typically I agree that the ceiling reached with cannabis is just a tad higher than where the effects of classic psychedelics begin. But there is a quantitative overlap IMO, if it is also qualitative is debatable. Like I said I have had experiences where spacecake was undestinguishable from mushrooms to me, but that was with super heavy spacecake of a kind I have never been able to bake myself.

You seem to be talking about cannabis' ability to produce heavy "trips", which isn't being denied. What is being debated is the qualitative similarity, or lack thereof. They are nothing alike. They even have completely different pharmacological mechanisms.

I'd even lean out the window wide and state that ultra high dose cannabis experiences are essentially a complete waste of time and are rather traumatizing than memorable most times. There. Lol. If you can't get a decent entheogen for some reason, keep searching, doing a fuckload of cannabis or related chems isn't even a step in the right direction IMO though you can get ridiculously high if that's what you're after.

Well yeah agreed. Beyond some point you have to ask yourself what you are trying to accomplish with it, if it's tripping then switching to an actual true psychedelic is probably the most accurate next step. Getting extremely high on cannabis can be nice and zonked but like you say also traumatizing / horrible.

About the qualitative comparison: I just found it interesting that I have had a few spacecake trips that like I said could not be distinguished from 1.5-2g Cubensis but that was like 2 times. All the other times I do agree that they just feel different.

Primary pharmacological action is not an argument though IMO because all neurotransmitter systems are interconnected and there can be secondary cascade effects that cause similar reactions even if the primary pharmacological target is of a different category. Think of adrenergic action: there are quite a number of ways to get adrenergic anxiogenesis from pretty different drugs.

Probably compounds like CBD and CBN act to reduce the effect of THC to keep it under control.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T2cAFRAX3Gs

^ NB the theory i have cultivated is; i dont think it's "the evil new strains of skunkweed" that is the problem, i think growers are simply overstressing the plants with too powerful lights for too long for a larger quantity of end product for the sakes of profit. combine this with strong fertilisers i think you can quickly produce anxiogenic cannabis - a difficult balance of cannabinoids to manage physiologically. i guess it's slightly similar to battery cage chickens

Last edited:
Thanks for the link, it's illustrative but didn't really tell me something I didn't know. My previous ideas that I posted here sound a bit simplistic I guess.

People's reactions to several JWH compounds do shine a light on this. Strong and un-attenuated CB1 agonism which I think is what you see with pure THC and also full CB1 agonists like JWH-018 seem to have a tendency to produce effects that are heavy to handle like fear/panic, paranoia, anxiety. I myself have produced honey oil (hash oil) and isomerized oil that should come close to this as well. And indeed it did, it produced a very sharp and up high but almost too much.

Apparently if there is enough CB2 agonism or just basically less CB1 agonism, it is better balanced and less likely to feel bad.

What still eludes me is if pharmacokinetics of oral cannabis are able to shift this balance back to CB1 activity so much that overreactions become possible again...

Anyway interesting but not really entirely on topic. Sorry bout that.

i find a 00 cap full of hash oil taken orally feels somewhat similar to oral morphine

Not in my experience. Edible weed is my favorite body lull-buzz. Lsd however is a giggly, happy, spiritually and mentally awakening substance/drug. I get no introspection nor conclusion from weed, edible or not; only a high. It's like comparing Soma to MDMA.

No, not unless you have had a good bit of tripping experiences. Weed has never made anyone trip, hallucinate yes, but never has anyone tripped off of weed. If you have done psychs before and get high you can trip out though because that level of consciousness is a part of your psyche. Like last night, I saw all cool colors and shit in the dark when I was high and then part of the grass started glowing a little and all the colors of everything were just awesome. I also had these cool CEVs of pyramids and it was like my third eye was fully open at points, but this stuff didn't happen until after I had done psychs in the past, so it was clearly residual effects of the psychedelics and not the weed. I'd go into more detail, but I lost track of time about an hour or two after I took the stuff so I basically was up for much of the night and am tired as fuck right now.