• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

Opioids does DXM potentiate all opiates or only oxycodone ?

EEhouseEE

Bluelighter
So whether it is potentiating or just lwoering ur tolerance, dxm definitely does it when i do it before oxycodone. Now iam kinda confused about Codeine. I have been reading people who say it do sent work the same with codeine, is this true?.

Does dxm before codeine help the effects in any ways ?

Dextromethorphan should potentiate most opioids: oxycodone, codeine, morphine, heroin, tramadol, fentanyl and hydrocodone. The only ones (out of common opioids, there are actually dozens of opioids that exist) I don't see it listed with are buprenophine and loperamide.

Ok thank you for the replies. I was just checking to make sure because i read on a few threads a while ago that theres something about Codeine specifically that doesnt allow the DXM to potentiate it or something, some people even said it makes it weaker....

^ This is true. DXM is a prodrug to DXO, tramadol is a prodrug to O-Desmethyltramadol, and codeine is a prodrug to morphine. All three need unoccupied CYP2D6 enzymes for this conversion, so antihistamines, GFJ, cimetidine, and DXM tend to hinder this conversion. This is also why some people find these drugs useless in regular dosages (2D6 deficient), while others find them lackluster (2D6 normal metabolizers), and very few find them extremely powerful (2D6 polymorphics).

I find 100mg of tramadol more powerful than 30mg hydrocodone, 60mg of DXM mildly dissociative, and 20mg of codeine euphoric, due to my CYP2D6 polymorphisms (extra copies of this liver enzyme).

DXM potentiates most opiates through NMDA antagonism (from the DXO), and through CYP2D6 inhibition (occupies these enzymes), slowing the rate of elimination, keeping the drug in your bloodstream longer.

Sorry if this is a stupid question ... but where do you buy DXM and when and in what quantity to ingest. Also do you ingest it orally even if use other roa than oral? thanks.

It's difficult if even possible to find dextromethorphan hydrobromide in pure form; it's almost always combined at least with an antihistamine like chlorpheniramine maleate, if not a third ingredient such as acetaminophen or phenylephrine, as in all those combination cold formulations.

Your best bet is probably Coricidin Cold & Cough. Each tablet is 30mg DXM and 4mg chlorpheniramine. You wouldn't want more than 30-60mg of DXM to potentiate. Keep in mind though that any antihistamine you may take with the DXM will have its own effects. CPM is neurotoxic at barely more than therapeutic doses, so don't go over 8mg. Even at that dose you would likely find the side effects unpleasant.

DXM is a really interesting compound. Its NMDA antagonism is most likely the reason for its ability to potentiate opioids, though I suspect there may be another mechanism which is partially responsible. It is itself an opioid, but does not produce any activity at mu receptor sites, and instead causes dissociative effects very much like phenylcyclidine(PCP). I'm getting into territory where my knowledge and understanding tops out, but its levorotary enantiomer levomethorphan is a highly potent opioid analgesic, and produces all the typical opioid effects.

Last edited:
It's difficult if even possible to find dextromethorphan hydrobromide in pure form; it's almost always combined at least with an antihistamine like chlorpheniramine, if not a third ingredient such as acetaminophen or phenylephrine.

Not true, I picked up two bottles of Tussin Long Acting Cough syrup today, containing only 15mg DXM HBr/5 mL, and a bottle of Tussin Cough Gels, containing only 15mg DXM HBr per gelcap.

Stay far, far away from Coricidin, that stuff is so dirty compared to pure DXM HBr, which is easily found at most pharmacies. Just look at the active ingredients at all the cough syrups, and you'll find a pure one. Also, "cough gels" contain pure DXM.

DXM is dirty enough as is to control tolerance with, at least use pure DXM for tolerance prevention and potentiation. I would never trip off of DXM, but I use it daily now to control tolerance.

^Right on- I really didn't think it was available on its own. There you go OP. Syrups will kick in faster too;)

sorry for resurrecting this ancient thread but i wanted to add my 2 cents:
I think whether or not you'll be able to find DXM as the sole active ingredient in an OTC medicine depends on what state you live in. Here in Minnestoa, walgreens has its own brand of cough gels that contain 15mg of DXM HBr per gel, and that's the only active ingredient. They're pricey though, about $7 for twenty 15mg gels (300mg total).
But, across the bridge in Wisconsin, walgreens doesnt carry those gels, and no store sells DXM by itself

I've been wondering for awhile if dxm would potentiate kratom the same way it potentiates other opiates?

I would not mix DXM and kratom; many of the kratom alkaloids are similar, or the same as the alkaloids in yohimbe (yohimbine, rauwolscine, etc) - and combining yohimbe and DXM can cause a serious hypertensive crisis.

Last edited:
I've been wondering for awhile if dxm would potentiate kratom the same way it potentiates other opiates?

Not sure if it potentiates kratom for me, but it at least prevents a tolerance increase. It has caused uncomfortable amounts of stimulation in the past though, but not too unreasonable. I was really wary at first for the reasons sekio mentioned, but it worked out fine for me.

I think the best I've ever felt in my life was when I used to do heroin to help the end of the trip. But my ffs you get so so euphoric and trashed. it's not placebo. I was shooting around ten bags a day to get high and I hardly even got that high anymore. The first time I did it after dxm, I only had one bag left. So I was all upset because they're was never a possibility for one bag to get me high back in those days. So i shot it and omg started rising sweet, my whole head started vibrating, I honestly felt like I was going to fall out but I didn't care because the rush was so intense and euphoric. Now that I'm on suboxone and can't experience that anymore, it's quite a let down. So i turned to alcohol for after dxm and a couple benzos. The alcohol actually is pretty good for the come down. If you put on the tv and grab a beer, you don't crash, and you don't pass out immediately. It's like your in an airplane and instead of just jumping out of the plane, you are slowly lowered to the ground with a parachute with a sofa and a tv attached to it.
But ya back to the heroin be careful because for me it multiplies the strength by 8X to 10X. I believe that nmda antagonists reverse tolerance and break addictions and with heroin of course that's going to be a big player.

I don't know what DXM does but it knocks my socks off with a gulp of DXM & 10mgs of hydrocodone.......I dosed those exact doses 3 or 4 times over a year ago & I was blitzed each time for several hours. To this day, I don't understand what kind of high it was.

It would take me 20 minutes to text a sentence to my gf.......she had to call.me up to figure out what was going on.

I have taken 30mgs of hydrocodone with 10mgs of temazepam & didn't get anywhere close to the high I got with dxm......strange, very strange!

I don't know what DXM does but it knocks my socks off with a gulp of DXM & 10mgs of hydrocodone.......I dosed those exact doses 3 or 4 times over a year ago & I was blitzed each time for several hours. To this day, I don't understand what kind of high it was.

It would take me 20 minutes to text a sentence to my gf.......she had to call.me up to figure out what was going on.

I have taken 30mgs of hydrocodone with 10mgs of temazepam & didn't get anywhere close to the high I got with dxm......strange, very strange!

This is very interesting (I would say good) link. Have a look. I took 60mg of DXM 'bout 5 hours ago and then my usual dose of oxy (60 or 80mg) and it could be much less because I feel greater high. DXM really does increase oxycontin. I know less would be enough but I'm enjoying it. So why not since its still safe. :)

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/26391752 - I almost forgot add this link I was talking about :-D see?

And again I am not naive to opiates so I am really amazed.

will a dose of say,30mg. of dxm capsules potentiate analgesic effect of either 20mg. oxycontin or 20 mg.oxycodone IR?

May, may not. If you are already tolerant to opioids it should, but normally I would have to use high doses. That said, DXM is better at preventing (or retarding) the development of tolerance more than it potentiates anything.