• Psychedelic Drugs Welcome Guest
    View threads about
    Posting RulesBluelight Rules
    PD's Best Threads Index
    Social ThreadSupport Bluelight
    Psychedelic Beginner's FAQ

Tryptamines Does DMT differ greatly from ketamine/LSD?

JohnBoy2000

Bluelighter
I hear guests on the JRE rave about the wonders of DMT, life altering, can't live a full life without trying it etc.

I've tried ketamine and psilocybin and the latter was a bog standard serotonergic, ketamine was nothing special.

Could one expect DMT to be hugely different?

Did you tried higher doses of ket before saying it is nothing special? The k-hole is special in my opinion!!!

I'm curious about the replies here, I'm thinking about trying DMT too.

I’d say the disassociation on higher doses of dmt is similar to that of a khole yet it’s still different

Is it actually life changing?

I'd want to try it, just to know I'm not missing out on some potential benefits.

But I wasn't crazy at all about shrooms or ketamine, for any purpose.
I didn't get any benefits, I just felt weird for a while and then they wore off.

Does DMT have anything worthwhile to offer - or does that depend on one person to the next?

Any side effects to be concerned about?

I read at some point.... cardiac, something something.

totally different experince. Well extreme does of shrooms can feel a bit like dmt visuals its still not the same.
Most truly beyond my witts and awareness I ever personally went was after smoking a huge bucket bong of salvia extract after ketamine, mushrooms and lots of MDMA.

I have never had DMT, but Salvia has a similar characteristic at so rapidly and dramatically changing your perception of your surroundings.

And scarily, it would always rob me of awareness of my self, and all memories, until the short, super intense, hallucinogenic trip abruptly ended, and I would feel absolutely great.

I know Terrence Mackenna was quite emphatic about salvia, putting it on level with LSD and DMT as the strongest drugs in the world.

Going by weight per dose, 5-MEO-DMT pips nn, at 5 mg vs 20-70 or more.

But it can be argued qualitatively I feel.

Those insanely strong salvia extracts though...like 60×, 80×, 140!

They must send you on a hell of a ride.

Only veterinary ketamine could even compete with that, not the pharma one, not even close.

But vet ket is still very lovely though.

There is a lot about Salvia which is the opposite of lovely. But it is strangely so therapeutic!

I would love to healthily, recreatiinally consume Vet Ket.

Only once, my first time, after 3 worldbeater, saffrong pong, ecstasy pills -wow that ketamine, 3 lines only! Really special.

But not at all uncomfortable or disturbing like Salvia can be. Despite still losing all awareness of the self.

I would almost argue, Ketamine, as wonderful and powerful as it can be, is still kind of like "Salvia light", just more user friendly, and safer too. No real need for a tripsitter with ketamine.

That 50× plus Salvia though, you really should be watched by trusty, informed and calm people until your senses snap back.

By far the most disempowering drug I ever tried, more than ketamine which I way preferred.

Last edited:
MXE and 3-Meo-PCP blew ketamine out of the water. And led to a years long, very low key psychological addiction to alcohol afterward, lol. So maybe they aren't too good for the soul. Very fun. Very ego expanding/modulating.

I prefer LSD to Psilocybin. Though I do love psilocybin. It is a mellow compound once you become used to it. Initially it seems a bit... lacking in oomph I suppose, and a tad cold. But something about frequent mushroom use makes something click together.

But the most interesting psychedelic by far was 2C-E. Was a truly futuristic feeling compound. I can see it potentially being some kind of mind expanding compound in a sense like a more empathic and potent, psychedelic dexamp.

Edit: (closing afterthought) Mescaline is beautiful and suited to grounding oneself in the reality of our physical world. I have not had enough experience with this one unfortunately to really speak too much on it though.

Last edited:
As I understand, dissociatives effectively switch off cortical brain activity, allowing the limbic system to go unfiltered per se, which is what results in visuals etc.

Hallucination.

I'm just curious as to how that yields as supposed long term neural benefits.

Unless one is a real "inside the box" thinker, confined to certain social norms etc.

I guess allowing the limbic imaginings to flow may broaden their horizons but, yeah - I've never personally felt any perceived benefit to experiencing temporary psychosis.

Meh. For me, vaporized DMT is a lot like salvia in its intensity. It is utterly awe inspiring. But it doesn't seem to produce any deep or meaningful insight. The same hasn't been true of DMT when taken orally with a RIMA (pharmahuasca.) Those experiences, while far less intense, were much more meaningful, rich, and life changing.

Getting mocked by cosmic palaces chock full of harlequin trickster entities is interesting, but it didn't inspire me to volunteer at homeless shelters and re-establish relationships with estranged family members. There's something to be said for both, but oral DMT is more valuable to me personally.

To me DMT in the form of changa was something very different, especially when breaking through. And I've probably sampled about 20 different psychedelics, though never holed on K or any analogue. No need to fear for cardio if otherwise healthy and on no medication. It does raise your pulse and BP a litle bit. If combined with a MAOI, like in changa, do read up on interactions. And do it sober with a lot of attention to intention, set & setting and titrate up your dosage. Treat it with a lot of respect. You really never can be fully prepared or ready for it. Before I tried it, I thought trip reports were exagerated and often a bit evangelical. Now I have my own experience and they don't seem exagerated.

Last edited:
If you take enough psilocybin it becomes extremely similar to DMT and fully immersive and produces full on "breakthrough" experiences. people who say other wise have never taken enough psilocybin

IME yes

I've been in deep deep k-holes, salvia trips, acids trips, etc. Haha one time I rode a dragon and looked upon the world and the God's told me my role in life on salvia.

DMT is like opening Pandora's box compared to everything else. It's physically more intense than the rest, although acid and shrooms can get pretty intense. If you doubt that, take a deep hit of DMT and remember. It's visuals are extremely more vivid and you can reach a sense of spirituality more easily.

If you take enough psilocybin it becomes extremely similar to DMT and fully immersive and produces full on "breakthrough" experiences. people who say other wise have never taken enough psilocybin

It may be similar but it simply does not reach the extent of DMT no matter the dosage. Each substance has its own unique qualities. You can breakthrough on any psychedelic at a high enough dose. One hit of good quality DMT however, and you are out of this world.

I think the discussion shouldn't be on 'dosages' and breakthroughs but rather the quality of the experience.

^^^I always see this. People smoke 75-100 mg of near pure NN DMT freebase and have a breakthrough and then eat 3 grams of dry stale old mushrooms containing like 15 mg of active tryptamines. mostly 4 po DMT and 4 HO DMT and then say psilocybin doesnt compare....if it was taken in a similar dose as DMT is it would be as intense, i know this from experience. Also I wouldnt mind vaping like 70 mg of the 4 AcO DMT freebase that is now available. Im sure it would be very awesome.

I have tried a few 4 substituted tryptamines IV. they all produced hyperspace blastoffs, so did DPT, and MET and 5 MeO MET. to me theres nothing particularily special about DMT. I think its really over hyped, many tryptamines will take you to the same landscapes and dimensions

Ive had trips on IV 4 HO MET that were indistinguishable from smoked DMT, and it lasted longer, and honestly was a better experience

One hit of good quality DMT however, and you are out of this world.

Not sure how people can do more than one. If I load 20-25 mgs in a pipe and take in in cleanly and smoothly and hold it in 20 seconds later it is like Cy'a. I have no arms or body left and am gone. Not too mention taking a 3rd hit. I am gone after one.

I think the discussion shouldn't be on 'dosages' and breakthroughs but rather the quality of the experience.

Agreed. I have said that in too many posts. Breakthrough has become sort of a folklore that did not exist many years ago and seemed to come about from the internet. So some people aim for that and sometimes feel dissapointment if they compare their experience to someone elses and decide it was not a breakthrough. Which to me is silly as any dose of DMT is magical and useful. And to me breakthrough is just a word for an intense experience so how can anyone say this of that about it? Sure I forget I was a human on the couch that just snoked DMT as I travel the dimensions but all I call it is a more intense experience.

Small doses of DMT are still psychedelic Have only done ketamine abot 15 times, IM from a bottle of vet Ketaset. Large doses (100 mgs) took me out of the room but after the first few times seemed to just turn into a hospital drug. Small doses of IM (25-50 mgs) just made me wobbly, some type of static and drunkish. I can t speak more to ketamine as I threw the bottle out and dismissed it as unpleasant after some tries. So I will leave the intense experiences to others to describe. But DMT I can speak to and that post from ashwolf makes logical sense and is how I think. Don't dismiss lower doses of DMT.

I have had mushrooms so intense that I see what Ontarioguy is saying. Closed eye traveling dimensions like DMT. Two grams of freshly dried Azurescens even almost showed dimensions very strongly, a little different from DMT but experience.

Salvia is an ally of mine for 22 years. It helps me and likes me so I visit. So that may be the only dissociative type drug I will visit. (and nitrous) But I could go on with that but won't. But Salvia treats me very well.

Looking back I can go to the grave without having ever tried ketamine if that were the case. But I would be sad if I went to the grave without having tried DMT. So that is how I feel. I don't want to go to the gave without a flood Ibogaine dose but at my age I may have too. It was not available 30-40 years ago like it is now so I missed the boat. I wish we could go into a booth and experience a drug effect as longing as a person is in the booth. :) Just some imagination running away. lol

Last edited: