• N&PD Moderators: Skorpio | thegreenhand

Does caffeine hurt long term attention span?

deadendgame

Bluelighter
I have a problem and that is I ingest caffeine quite frequently. When I do, I realize that I am able to pay attention really well on things that require immediate focus. Things that require me to sit down for hours at a time however, I am having trouble doing. I don't know if it is just me or if it's the caffeine. I'm gonna try to not take any caffeine. Would I be more able to focus on things in the long term if I didn't drink any caffeine. Thanks for the input guys!

Caffeine in higher doses is known to lead to restlessness and inability to stay on a task for a long time; try taking less if possible.

yeah, if I have to focus on studying for some hours, caffeine isn't that helpful. it might bring the initial kick to get me to hit the books, but if I drink too much (coffee), I will have a hard time focussing, especially if it's some very technical stuff (eg physical chemistry).

I really want to try low dose amphetamine for that purpose, but I am still reluctant (panic disorder), even though I can handle weed and low dose psychedelics fine at the moment...

Unlike classical stimulants, caffeine has a kind of "shotgun" approach by activating a lot of different brain regions. Usually people adapt to that. Caffeine is a very safe energizer/thinking drug if taken in moderation. For no tolerance, 100mg might be the right amount. Others, maybe 300mg. The general consensus is that over 500mg won't net any further benefits for thinking.