• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

Harm Reduction Does bleach kill hep c

Bleach will not help you if you've shared water that's been contaminated by a used syringe. There is only limited evidence that bleach can kill the hep C virus. There's evidence the virus can live outside the body from between 16 hours and 4 days, although inside a syringe there's a chance the virus is viable much longer than this. The reason bleach may not be effective is that the hep c virus has a strong outer layer which bleach may not penetrate. Newer guidelines on cleaning syringes with bleach are asking people to first clean them with soapy water, which could help break down the lipid layer and then allow bleach to get in and kill the virus. Again, there's little research into this though, but that is the current best practice advice being given to people accessing needle exchanges in Australia.

Shit I always just assumed it did. I dated a girl for awhile that had hep c and used one of her points a few times. That was after bleaching it several times, but shit... Anyway I didn't catch it so either bleach does kill it or I just got lucky.

Old thread.

Yeah, get your own gear, its cheap (or free) and easy, just do it.

On bleach, per this "study" from a HR company, it seems to work with 99% accuracy cleaning a rig.

Water, cookers, mixers, grinders, basically everything else you are kind of fucked.

"One Water, One Bleach, One Water"
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SnsK_4gOYHU

Thank God PA wised up and allowed non-Rx sale of rigs. It would have helped when I was new to the game and there wasnt a good option to get them. I did the bleach method and luckily I didn't catch anything. It's about 3 bucks for 10 rigs, that's a cheap price for peace of mind.