• LAVA Moderator: Mysterier

does anyone live in Michigan?

^Not shitting on Michigan, man, just explaining the draw parts Florida has going for it. This year hasn't been to bad at all, a few dips here and there but even this up coming weekend will be 10 degrees above freezing again.

Michigan to me is nostalgic, I grew up here. As much as I hate winter, the changing leaves in fall, and that refreshing breath of spring air was really missed while I was in Florida. Towns like Ann Arbor and EL are vibrant, progressive cities that Florida just doesn't have. Although, when it comes to the beaches along the gulf of Mexico vs the Great Lakes, I'd really have to take the gulf. Not to mention kayaking through the swampy rivers in Florida, spotting alligators and navigating through forests of Spanish moss, Florida has it's deal of natural beauty as well.

For me, the grass is always greener. When I'm in either place for too long I pine for the other.

I know

It's like actual 0° right now with the wind chill. Might break -1° I dunno cuz I'm like smack fucking dab on lake Huron. It's crispy out but not intolerable

Pure_Iowa.jpg

As mentioned, I'm not into hot weather, and lying on a beach doesn't really interest me so Florida really holds no appeal for me at all. In fact, if (when?) I travel to the US, I think Florida would be the last state I would visit, whereas Detroit and Ann Arbor (shouldn't there be a "u" between the "o" and "r"?) would be pretty high on my list.

Admittedly, my knowledge of Florida is so limited that all that comes to mind is retirement home for jews, another version of Disneyland and spring break for annoying college students, so it really doesn't interest me at all.

u know Americans have a hesitation to put a "u" anywhere in our American English ;)

and no offense, but you being an Aussie (Kiwi?), I don't think you quite understand how cold it gets, here in the Industrial Midwest ;)

still I welcome your visitation with open beers

Industrial Midwest = The Rust Belt

Also no need to venture to Ohio. There isn't shit there

AA is nice but very expensive and very over rated IMO. Ypsilanti isn't anything special and East Lansing has already been addressed. Macomb isn't bad and there are a few spots there that are good. I have no idea what budget your working with or what you are looking for in your residence. Cass Corridor and that part of Detroit is on the rise (both people and price) and it is a hot bed for hipsters. The west side of the state is generally pretty nice (save for Benton Harbor). feel free to PM more about location and MMJ laws.

I just came back from Flint and those people are something else.

Must be something in the water.

Flints awesome. I hope this water problem is fixed by the time I go back

Lincoln Park is affordable, but crime is a bit high and schools not so great. I know a lady who lives in Taylor and likes it there. If you have your heart set on the downriver area, Trenton, Wyandotte, and Woodhaven would be better destinations. Depends what you're looking for and willing to sacrifice.

Taylor is wishy washy tbh. I can't ever tell if things are turning around or falling apart, it's a bit dull tbh. It's Suburbia, with stretches of rural sprinkled in. Schools are bad though, violent crime isn't high but as far as drugs go I've heard there's a lot of meth around here but tbh I've never seen any meth related things happen down here nor am I interested but worth mentioning. There's green just about everywhere though, can't walk a block or two without catching a sniff of stray dank. IMO Wyandotte is much nicer, old houses and by the water with a pretty decent little 'downtown'. Don't know what poison they prefere though, I'd go there over Taylor tbh. It's not like terrible but I sure as hell wouldn't choose it over Cali, expensive or not. Winter sucks though, stays cold forever and then spring is like a week long and then bam sweltering heat, there is No Chill with our weather it's a nightmare.

I grew up in Michigan and almost everything but the pike fishing sucks. But if you gotta make that mistake then Ann Arbor is a good choice. Hope you like cold cloudy winters.