• LAVA Moderator: Mysterier

does anyone live in Michigan?

hazeymate

Greenlighter
Hello all! Im from california looking at moving to Michigan. I hear ann arbor is nice but other than that and Detroit i dont know much. Im hoping some of you have either visited Michigan or live there now/previously. Im a medical marijuana patient and would like to know about the laws there too. Any expierence or stories would be helpful:)

Ann Arbor is expensive (probably not california expensive ;) )

If I had the money I would move to AA in a heartbeat. I'm currently in Lansing, which is great and all if you want to get into government (I worked in the House briefly), but it's nothing special. East Lansing is a party town if that's what you're into.

Still, Ann Arbor is the place to be.

I would never move to Michigan from California lol. I don't live in Michigan but it's relatively close for me and I honestly hated it there. But I'd move to California in a heartbeat.

I live here
AA is a good town. Lansings the capitol also a good town. Battle creek is alright. Detroit is a great place as well.

I do believe Michigan is a state that honors out if state mmj cards as well. Shouldn't be hard to switch it over to mimmj card either

Since california has been in a drought the last five years and mich is full of water...peaked my interest.

I have visited Michigan a couple of times.
I lived in Illinois while when I was in high school - ages ago.

The city I used to enjoy is currently very poor and it looks pretty abandoned. I used to think Detroit resembled the future model cities back them. Now it has deeply declined and I don't know if it's a good place to be right now.

For those who enjoy cold winters, lakes and beautiful autumns that's perfect.
It's also very close to Canada.

Hows lincoln park?
Lincoln Park is affordable, but crime is a bit high and schools not so great. I know a lady who lives in Taylor and likes it there. If you have your heart set on the downriver area, Trenton, Wyandotte, and Woodhaven would be better destinations. Depends what you're looking for and willing to sacrifice.

I spent my childhood in Macomb county (just north of Wayne, where Detroit and above mentioned cities are) When the recession hit in the early 80's our family moved to Florida because lack of jobs in the area. We moved back here two years ago and I'm adjusting pretty well. We considered going further north, but I like city amenities and you have to go where the work is.

My son had never seen snow until last year and he gets tickled pink when it snows. Shoveling it is a different matter. I never learned how to drive in snow it so that's something we both need work on. The wildlife can't be beat though the weather is fickle! One thing I noticed, is most folks I talk to here are from Michigan. People can't seem to fathom why I relocated from Florida. So get ready for that "WHY?!"

Whyyyyyyyy????

Alot of people move here from Florida. Everyone gets the whyyyyyyyy?

Ypsilanti move to maybe?

Lol I moved back to Michigan from Florida and am asked "why" nonstop.

I beginning to wonder myself...

Lincoln Park is White, working class & lower middle-class to lower class, mostly. High-ish crime, like above poster said. Not a great quality of life, IMO. The opposite of Lincoln Park in Chicago, and the opposite of LA's West Side.

I currently live in Ann Arbor; in the past I've lived on the East Coast, West Coast, and in Chicago. In Michigan, I've lived in Royal Oak, Birmingham, and Detroit too. Where in CA are you? Yes, Ann Arbor is more expensive than much of Michigan (with the exception of Birmingham/Bloomfield Hills/Bloomfield Township). What type of activities do you like to do? Are you into restaurants? Music? Outdoor activities? Ann Arbor does have all of those activities, and it's nice and hilly here unlike Metro Detroit.
It all depends on what you're looking for.
it's *still* Michigan though, LOL.

Last edited:
Lol I moved back to Michigan from Florida and am asked "why" nonstop.

I beginning to wonder myself...

Admittedly, my knowledge of the US is limited to info from the media and you guys but I always wondered why anyone would move TO Florida.

The weather, mostly. Whereas much of the north right now is below freezing with snow on the ground, my old city in Florida is a nice 72F/22C. The white sanded beaches and palm trees are a draw as well. Many parts of the state I didn't care for, really, but the areas I enjoyed I really miss.

^^ But doesn't Florida get impossibly hot and humid in summer?

It does, but you get used to it. I've always been very tolerant of heat anyhow, even before I moved to Florida, but very intolerant of cold.

The weather, mostly. Whereas much of the north right now is below freezing with snow on the ground, my old city in Florida is a nice 72F/22C. The white sanded beaches and palm trees are a draw as well. Many parts of the state I didn't care for, really, but the areas I enjoyed I really miss.
It's not that cold and snowy this year you vagina

I'll admit it's a great state and all but I'm over it. Michigan isba pretty rad state to grow up and adventure. And for apocalypse scenario it can't be beat. There's cool shit all over and drugs, really good ones. Winter is a bummer but the fall, spring, and summertime in Michigan if wonderful. Hell winter even is pretty sometimes. You like nature and shit? Well look out fucko we got it like you can't believe. Wherever you are in the state you're never more than a 90 minute drive to a great lake. And the fucking great lakes, shiiiit don't even get me started. We have some hoppin cities too. Big awesome ones that are each charming in there own way. It's a sportsman and drug users dream. Weed will be legal here if you can't get mmj. We do honor out of state cards tho. Shouldn't be hard. Especially if you're looking at Ann arbor. Ann arbor is a beautiful and vibrant city. Detroit is a funky little place too. No matter what the news says.

I'll stop now