• BASIC DRUG
    DISCUSSION
    Welcome to Bluelight!
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
    Benzo Chart Opioids Chart
    Drug Terms Need Help??
    Drugs 101 Brain & Addiction
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums
  • BDD Moderators: Keif’ Richards | negrogesic

Does anyone have experience with methocarbamol?

aspiringchemist

Bluelighter
I have been prescribed methocarbamol 500mg as needed up to qid for back pain and spasms.
I take it scheduled, as I do most things, as I find it provided more effective and controlled pain relief; I do have chronic pain from a malformation of the lumbar spine.

Anyway, it was good at first. It continues to produce muscle relaxation and, in turn, pain reduction (though not near the same as opioids, been down that road and trying to avoid for now, I use PRN).

It has been about a month of daily use and I've noticed an increase in headaches, especially in the morning following the first dose. I have been nauseas in a vertigo type way which is abnormal for me. And my memory has been impaired, though I expect this to some degree.

There is not a plethora of info out there on this med. I know dosing guidelines typically call for an initial high dose an initiation of Tx, followed by a quick reduction to the 500-1000mg range daily.

Just wondering if anyone knows anything of the psychopharmacology of these things, and if long term use is associated with anything in particular?

I know I can talk to the doc and probably will. But with the climate around controlled Rx meds these days I'm afraid to even open my mouth...

Any input or experience is much appreciated
Thanks!

Tried it, and its utter irredeemable shite.

While it may be one of the carbamate GABAergics, it really, REALLY is garbage. Not recreational and I found it totally useless for the muscle spasms (from nerve damage in my leg, causes a permanent contraction that hurts like blazes without muscle relaxants,

The one I put my faith in is tizanidine. Its an alpha2 adrenergic agonist, an imidazoline related to clonidine although its shorter acting, and while the dose is greater, its myorelaxant effects at those active dose ranges could put a rhino down on the floor in a boneless heap. When I was getting used to it it just put me out cold. But it DOES do the job in an excellent way. Good for opiate withdrawals too. Even 1x4mg tab (I take at least 5 a day now) was enough to make me sleep.

No, but I was given samples of a similarly hated-on muscle relaxer, Skelaxin (metalaxone). Did about 3 minutes of research before throwing them in the garbage mixed with used coffee grounds so even a homeless guy shifting through the trash wouldn't have to have the misfortune of taking that drug.

Ha, i actually don't mind methocarbamol. I've only had it in tandem with opiates, and it potentiates well, controls muscle spasm well, and i really never expect muscle relaxers to be recreational. I prefer orphenadrine, but its more expensive than methocarbamol and i'm self-pay. I have never had access to carisoprodol, which is supposed to actually be fun.
I can relate with your concerns of memory-loss, at times it can make me pretty fucking foggy. I have taken it strictly as needed, and try to minimize its use because of this fogginess. And again, i don't expect it to be fun to begin with, there are better classes of drugs for that imo

Thanks for the replies. As I continue taking it, it seems the side effects have lessened.
I don't expect rec potential, I have had carisoprodol and it does have some, but, as stated above, both are best when mixed with opioids for pain control.
It does seem to work for spasms.
Off to the spinal/neuro surgeon next week for eval...

In my nursing book it warns against giving methocarbamol to those with a history of a drug abuse... I disagree with this... It also calls propofol a schedule II substance...

They think it has abuse potential...

Limpet_Chicken is spot on: Tizanidine is an EXCELLENT myorelaxnt and it does not​ carry clonidine's equipotent hypotensive qualities.

Aspiringchemist, do you notice any subjective similarity in effects between carisoprodol and methcarbomol?

Carisoprodol gets converted into meprobamate, which acts somewhat like a barbiturate in the body

I also take diazepam 5mg BID and kratom ~10g bali BID for pain as I don't want to deal with doctors and Rx meds. Well now that kratom is schedule 1 (wtf) idk what I'm going to do.

To answer your question, It is not nearly as strong alone. I haven't taken carisoprodol in about 10 years but was given the nick name "fall down" because of my use of it. I do notice that methocarbamol, when combined with opioids or kratom, and benzos it synergizes nicely and adds to the pain relief but alone, it does not compare to soma imo.