• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

Benzos Does anyone else work better/be more able to focus on Xanax?

OpioidDopioid

Greenlighter
I take Xanax on a very infrequent basis, but when I do my work ethic is so much better. I'm a freelance programmer and hobbiest game developer. When I dose up I can instantly sit down and work for several hours straight. When I don't dose, I have trouble motivating myself to sit down and work. I think it's the calmed mindset that I have after dosing with Xanax that causes this. I'm able to sit down, and attack my work from a peaceful, completely stress-free mindset. While doing it sober is stressful and intimidating when you have a large workload.

Does anybody else experience this?

Yes, but Xanax is the ONLY benzo I get this with. I find a lot of benzos pretty energizing, though I think that's mainly just being free from some of the anxiety and inhibition. Xanax is the best for me in that regard, and it might have something to do with its unique effects on dopamine.

Xanax just makes me too relaxed to care about doing anything productive. It also impairs my judgement quite a bit, so I'm not sure I'd even want to try to work on it.

Yes, but Xanax is the ONLY benzo I get this with. I find a lot of benzos pretty energizing, though I think that's mainly just being free from some of the anxiety and inhibition. Xanax is the best for me in that regard, and it might have something to do with its unique effects on dopamine.

I've never done any benzos other than Xanax, so I can't comment on this. However, I don't necessarily find it, "energizing." I find it calming, and when I'm more calm I'm better able to focus.

Xanax just makes me too relaxed to care about doing anything productive. It also impairs my judgement quite a bit, so I'm not sure I'd even want to try to work on it.

I only take 1mg so it doesn't have a majorly sedating effect. However, when I've taken larger doses it became too much for me to actually function on.

Ive had a similar effect from Xanax. I found instead of my mind constantly racing with thoughts of anxiety, it allowed my mind to just focus on the one task at hand.

Last edited:
I used to have this same feeling and motivation when I was on methadone. Benzos as well, they makes some of us relaxed and motivated.

I've done xanax before but I've never tried to focus on it so I couldn't say. Diazepam on the other hand would make me get up at 6am feeling so alert, awake and positive and I'd be out the door on the way to the gym at 6:30am.. but it does the opposite to other people!

I focus more on benzo's, but like somebody said above, its just the relief from anxiety which helps me concentrate.

maybe, but your memory and recall of all the shit you focused on will be shit compared to if you hadn't been taking benzos at the time.

Ive had a similar effect from Xanax. I found instead of my mind constantly racing with thoughts of anxiety, it allowed my mind to just focus on the one task at hand.

This exactly. I have a to-do list some 10-20 tasks long in my mind, and when trying to work sober it's overwhelming. However, while on xanax, I'm capable of focusing on one task at a time more easily. I never have that feeling of being overwhelmed.

The memory fails sometimes, and you have to try to be selective on what you will need.
In some cases people are excellent with numbers but lousy with names for example.
But I also agree with Tricomb, the memory problem can be an issue on a long term use.

Last edited:
Yes, no doubt about it, especially xanax, seems to actually give me energy more so than the others(althouth they all do, cept valium makes me jsut wanna lay down and watch movies.) But I think it's because I do suffer from legit anxiety(it gets so bad sometimes I go days without eating, then have to force myself to eat the tineist thing.) When I have benzo's I can talk to people, focus more on my work becuae I'm not worried about every single thing, actually sleeep(like not be knocked out but just be calm enough to not worry about what's gonna happen tomorow. Now opiates do this to plus way better euphoia, but benzo's actually help, and some euphoriea because I feel like a normal human being that can focus, wanna leave the house and see friends without feeling like its something I just have to do to fee norma...Now sometimes I do take more than a medial dose, but definatley not as much anymore....for a whie I was eating them like candy, but can be fine with 2-3mg of Klonopin a day (4mg if it's xanax cuz of half life I guese.) Shame I don't have a script, I really do feel If I got my 8mg of Sub and 2mg of Klonopin a day I would be functioning iike a norma human being...but we know how that goes, one or the other with a lot of doctors, so I choose the maintaince drug so I'm not running around thieving and lying all the time and get my klons/xanax/ativan(whatever benzo is around) or Gabapentin(athough not a benzo it workss very well for me at 1500-1800mg a day off the street. But yes, benzo's do help me focus because they calm my mind down to where I'm not worried about EVERY SINGLE THING.

When I first started taking Xanax I could work much better, was more talkative and very nice to everyone. Now that has stopped and I just take it for sleep. I became too addicted, not worth it.

Absolutely. In my extensive experience with benzodiazepines, I have noticed—almost from the outset, when I first tried them—that, in moderate doses, my productivity, concentration, performance, and overall cognitive ability is noticeably improved.

My hypothesis is that anxiety precludes one's mental abilities, such as attention span, focus, etc.. When one takes an anxiolytic (anti-anxiety) drug, this obstacle is removed and one is able to perform, think, brainstorm, etc., with higher capacity.

Anxiety stifles creativity along with other cognitive abilities, like memory and academic or IQ performance (especially involving mathematics, I find).

Xanax is an anxiolytic (among other things) and, when taken, effectively removes or lessens this barrier of anxiety.

It allows one to shift from ruminations about impending doom or regrets about past mistakes, and thus allows one to focus their brain on the task(s) at hand.

(BTW, this is not supposed to be factual or an actual theory, but rather is just my hypothesis (i.e., the product of my 5 minutes or so contemplating the OP's inquiry)).

Absolutely. In my extensive experience with benzodiazepines, I have noticed—almost from the outset, when I first tried them—that, in moderate doses, my productivity, concentration, performance, and overall cognitive ability is noticeably improved.

My hypothesis is that anxiety precludes one's mental abilities, such as attention span, focus, etc.. When one takes an anxiolytic (anti-anxiety) drug, this obstacle is removed and one is able to perform, think, brainstorm, etc., with higher capacity.

Anxiety stifles creativity along with other cognitive abilities, like memory and academic or IQ performance (especially involving mathematics, I find).

Xanax is an anxiolytic (among other things) and, when taken, effectively removes or lessens this barrier of anxiety.

It allows one to shift from ruminations about impending doom or regrets about past mistakes, and thus allows one to focus their brain on the task(s) at hand.

(BTW, this is not supposed to be factual or an actual theory, but rather is just my hypothesis (i.e., the product of my 5 minutes or so contemplating the OP's inquiry)).

This is how I feel about it, and that is my hypothesis as well. I can work without the anxiolytic (Thanks for the new word, by the way), but it's more stressful. Since it's more stressful I work shorter hours. Since I work shorter hours I fall short of my goals. It's a never-ending cycle.

I've thought of getting a script for my social anxiety (Which is a legitimate reason, but it's not crippling so I don't need it), but I refuse to go down that path. I'm perfectly fine with my recreational use, but I don't want to cross the line into addiction or dependance. Unless I get to the point where my anxiety keeps me from accomplishing my goals I'll stick to the occasional use-case.

I can relate to the stifling of creativity; I'm a hobbiest creative writer. Writing is another thing that I can focus on much better while under-the-influence. When I don't dose I can go weeks without writing. When I dose up I'll churn out 3-4 chapters like it's nothing. If only a non-addictive, entirely safe alternative drug existed. I would be all over it. I'm known to say, "The person who invents the ideal drug will be the world's next multi-billionaire," and I believe it wholeheartedly. I'm just waiting for the day.