• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

Opioids Does anyone else have hearing changes on opiates after a heavy dose?

wow you're the first person that I have ever heard claim to experience that. I always described it as a 'yawning in my ears'. It's in your head but its real ha.

I have a weird issue that started with my right ear; but, affects the left as well now. I can make a "pop" sound just by pressing on my ears. According to my girl, it is REALLY loud; but, I barely hear it... Anyways, this started after smoking pills and meth. I'm not sure if it's related at all. I haven't smoked pills in a few years; as it is extremely wasteful. I don't do meth anymore either. The problem hasn't gone away though; but, I do still snort my pills..

I experience this on a regular basis. But, Ive not heard of anyone else sharing the same. Even someone speaking to me, close to me, sounds far away. Everything seems to be like background noise. Actually, it annoys me and messes with the experience I'm not sure if this is from a heavy dose, but it seems to start when I'm done for the day, finished using

Yes I absolutely get strange hearing changes. I have particularly experienced it when taking percocets. This one time I took 20 or so perc 5/325's and as i sat in my car, i would hear a faint/dull ringing in my ears and it would linger for a few minutes and i would not be able to hear, but then it comes back. I have heard that excessive opioid abuse can damage hearing and/or cause auditory changes. Hope this helps.

It's psychological. I get hearing shifts with every mood i'm in, let alone each drug i take. Electromagnetic energy/perceptual shifting/HippyDippyWhat?

Yes I absolutely get strange hearing changes. I have particularly experienced it when taking percocets. This one time I took 20 or so perc 5/325's and as i sat in my car, i would hear a faint/dull ringing in my ears and it would linger for a few minutes and i would not be able to hear, but then it comes back. I have heard that excessive opioid abuse can damage hearing and/or cause auditory changes. Hope this helps.

I hope you performed a Cold Water Extraction?
6500mg apap is more than twice the recommended daily dosage, taking so much can damage your liver and in the worst case could kill you.

I had my first severe endolymhatic hydrop while on opiates. For the people that don't know what that is: it is a build up of fluid(endolymph) in the inner ear leading to fluctuating deafness, tinnitus and once the pressure get too high reissner's membrane ruptures and you get a vertigo attack. It's really awful.

Other than that I believe opiates are putting stress on your hair cells similar to aspirin and such.

My ears itch really bad on opiates I just take a Q-tip and stab away sometimes until there is blood, probably not great but my doctors have always said my ear canals are fine when peeking in there.

I get this weird thing where everything sounds "crackly" in one ear which is really noticeable with electronics. I thought it was my headphones but I switched from the left to the right then later on I held a cell phone up and heard the same thing in that ear.

I use to work at a head-shop where we'd sell Kratom (along with bath salts and K2 aka "spice" before they were banned). I've heard it can feel as strong as hydrocodone (if you get a good batch). A lot of people trying to quit opiates (even high strength ones like oxy) would buy it. Some people said they got 0 relief from it, others said it was a god-send. Maybe I should give it a try since opiates in general are getting even more scarce where I'm from. Its like pulling teeth just to get a "guy" to sell me morphine these days, and forget buying it for a reasonable price anymore... :(

Last edited:
You can have all sorts of fucked up shit happen to you switching medications

I found the experience worse than heroin wd

Just give it some time and take it slow is what I would do

Apparently an overdose that is almost but not quite fatal will result in hearing loss and tinnitus due to the lack of oxygen. The people sounding far away sounds like definite hearing loss, the rest is neurotic psychology/ pre-existing issues.

For me when I'm reaching my peak every thing seems super loud and kind of hurts my ears/head. Never really talked to anyone about this. Interesting topic

A little bit, yeah. Mostly, though, my potential for having auditory hallucinations is increased when I'm on kratom.

Yeah - opiatees are known to cause ototoxicity and I notced muffled hearing at first - like the world ws quiter. It could be some specific action involved with your ear, or it could be a generalized depression of stimulus