• N&PD Moderators: Skorpio | thegreenhand

Does amphetamine stay in the system?

AiR-

Greenlighter
Hi all,

I would like to know if Amphetamine stays in the body for a day or any amount of time.
So say I take Amphetamine at 9am, it lasts until 9pm including the comedown.

Is there a metabolite of the Amphetamine that would be in my system the next day or something?.

I would like to know because when I was taking Adderall, I would still be in a really elated mood the next morning and really talkative. Also I tam asking about, is it being active in the brain?. What is causing the elated mood the next morning?. Is it from metabolites of the Amphetamine, has it done something with my receptors or once dopamine starts to get released does it give it a prompt to keep releasing in a small way?. I'm not asking about it in being in the body, unless there's some still in the body after 24 hours and gets to the brain.

Thanks.

Last edited:
amphetamine has a half-life in the body of approx. 12 hours, so after 24 hours there is still at least 25% of a dose of amphetamine remaining

"Amphetamine is generally only detectable by a standard drug test for approximately 24 hours, although a high dose may be detectable for 2–4 days", which I cited with:
"Clinical Drug Testing in Primary Care" (PDF). Substance Abuse and Mental Health Services Administration. Technical Assistance Publication Series 32. United States Department of Health and Human Services. 2012. p. 55. Retrieved 31 October 2013.
Quote from that source: "A single dose of amphetamine or methamphetamine can be detected in the urine for approximately 24 hours, depending upon urine pH and individual metabolic differences. People who use chronically and at high doses may continue to have positive urine specimens for 2–4 days after last use (SAMHSA, 2010b)."

Only 30-40% of amphetamine is metabolized into the 3 active metabolites in most individuals at normal urine pH (i.e., in people who are not consuming sodium bicarbonate or other urine alkalinizing agents). Among those active metabolites, the direct metabolites of amphetamine are norephedrine, which has a half-life of 2.1-3.4 hours (ref) and 4-hydroxyamphetamine, which has an unknown half-life in humans. 4-Hydroxyamphetamine's clinical duration of action when used for eye exams via ocular administeration is comparable to amphetamine's clinical duration of action when it's taken orally; it has a shorter duration of action than ocularly administered phenylephrine, which has a relatively short half-life. There's very little clinical data on the third metabolite, 4-hydroxynorephedrine, but only a very small fraction amphetamine is ultimately metabolized into that compound in humans.

Last edited:
It's probably also worth stating that, after an individual uses amphetamine via any route, a blood test for amphetamine will produce a negative test result earlier than when a urine test for amphetamine will produce a negative result. In other words, plasma concentrations of amphetamine fall below detection limits sooner than urine concentrations do.

If you're more interested in plasma concentrations of amphetamine, see the graph on page 12 of Adderall XR's prescribing information.