• Philosophy and Spirituality
    Welcome Guest
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
    Threads of Note Socialize
  • P&S Moderators: Xorkoth | Madness

Does America purposely promote stupidity?

You make a good point there. I think it's more of an issue of lack of common sense in this country. From the day we are born now, we are cuddled by the society. Overprotected, and sheltered from the truth. I seriously believe that is the cause.

We just need another cultural revolution. Like the 50s we were cuddled, 60s/70s was major change and ideas, and the 80's on is stablizing everything. I personaly think the people in charge are trying to promote the dumbing down of our culture, but its all priming for change.

Looking at todays culture, theres no insperation to change. There is no figure around that is inspireing people to promote change and revolution. As consperisy theory as this sounds, think about this one.

Music was one of the MAJOR ways that help changed the 60s/70s. Look what happend after that. Its all recycled formula garbage now. It seems like they took it away. Hip hop actualy used to mean something besides hoes and caddies, but then now look at what that is. Moooo.

^
I think that's alot of people's problems. As into reference to the 60s/70s that is. Change and ideas is good. But alot of americans who value these things, tend to reflect on a solidified, generalized idea of that era about change, in order to grasp what the next should be like. I think somehow that grasping to re-do something is what's holding alot of people back. So .. fuck the 60s. Lets have a generation that would make it look pitiful in comparison. One mind at a time, i guess.. don't want to get too idealistic here.

Just about common "group stupidity" situation mentioned a few times.
I think we all react this way (from time to time) when we feel threatened, cuz it's in our genes. For millions of years our ancestors survived many threats to their existence by instinctually forming groups and using their numbers as an advantage.

A society that compensates someone like the fool with cruise control (mentioned eariler) admits that it has failed in educating him enough before giving him his driving license and vehicle.
To remove the manufacturers and governments from this legal responsibility, another line of fine print will be added to the purchasing and use of this product.

edit: Just do a google search for "stupid warnings" and you'll find stuff like, ""For external use only!" -- On a curling iron.". Kinda makes me think of the reason this warning was added.

Eventually (IMO) these methods will stop working, as the ever increasing numbers of products and services, each with their own dislcaimers, contracts, rules and/or regulations will become so plentifull, that they will dissapear from sight altogether.
I think it's a matter of time before it's legal to say "I didn't see the fine print".

Remember, Don't do what Johnny Don't Does.

Last edited:
In relation to this post, I read an news article in the Los Angeles Times stating that following Santa Cruz's example, hundreds of school districts in California are requesting to be exempt from a new california law stating that a year of algebra (or equivalent) is required for all graduating seniors.

Just looking at the surface of this development, I can see several things that are horribly wrong with the way the state deals with education. First, and most obvious, is the fact that instead of bucking up and raising the bar (a fairly low bar, I might add) on their students, school districts are screaming "unfair" and requesting exemption from the law...which is basically completely giving up the fight. Second, and perhaps even more disturbing, is that it was considered NORMAL, everyday practice to graduate seniors who had never passed algebra in the first place up until very, very recently. Now we aren't talking about calculus here, or math analysis, or even trig or geometry. Its fucking algebra, a class that I passed in 7th grade and one of the ONLY classes I ever took that I'm constantly using every day both at work and in college.

Now, what kind of education system behaves in this way? One whos purpose is to enlighten and educate the minds of the masses, or one whos purpose is to act as day care until the masses are old enough to join the workforce? Which of those two functions better serves the economic/socio-political system currently in effect in our society?

I just would like to point out the popularity of Paris Hilton, and Jessica Simpson.

they're morons - and they're making millions off of that.

its ok to be stupid, as long as you're blonde, made up, and tan.

but it's horrible to be blonde, made up, and tan AND be smart. then everyone persecutes you. doesn't the contrast seem frightening?... i learned it all the hard way...

But making yourself tan involves some inherant stupidity. Unless cancer is the cool and smart thing to give yourself now. Oh wait, smoking is cool. Fuck.

zx13xz said:
But making yourself tan involves some inherant stupidity. Unless cancer is the cool and smart thing to give yourself now. Oh wait, smoking is cool. Fuck.

Seriously though, I like my Vit. D! I like it naturally. My DNA was designed to last me effectively ~30 years. Why should I worry if I get skin cancer.8o Evil scars after they remove it!:p

Stupidity in my opinion isnt promoted but is accepted in which case people dont feel the need to learn more than needed, I on the other hand thrive for knowledge. I'll research anything I have a question about , I will learn anything I feel the need to. I dont have to , but I want to. The standards of the us population on education is fairly good but can be improved and in my opinion should be. The more educated the public is the more of a successful way of life the country can benifit from, anyone agree or disagree?

-dave

The amount of intelligence in the universe is constant: the more people that exist, the dumber we all are ;)

(Conservation of intelligence theorem)

Rodder said:
I know it smacks of conciparcy theory, and I am by no way a concpiracy theorist but it would make sense that the powers that be would encourage this behaviour (the promoting of stupidity and the denigrating of intelligence) as a stupid, ignorant populace is easier to control and dupe.

they might not promote stupidity per se..but they definitely wont promote intelligence that might threaten their position either...OTOH..it makes little sense to spend more $$$ on education than ppl need to serve the interests of the wal-mart economy..which is almost nil wrt arts..history..or technical skills...as such..public education today centres more around instilling obedience and subservience than on any of the above...

Some very wise people would choose (or have) to flip burgers. That was an irrelevant point.