View threads about
    Posting RulesBluelight Rules
    PD's Best Threads Index
    Social ThreadSupport Bluelight
    Psychedelic Beginner's FAQ

Does acid change you in the long run?

JadedTabs

Bluelighter
I have lots of anger in me. I have a lot of stuff going on and I want to do DMT but I can only get acid. I want to know if acid will help me internally and spiritually change into a different person. I have just about only been screwed over on acid and I don't think I have ever really taken real acid and if it was real I didn't trip long. I want to try it but want to know some things to expect for the long term and short term and so on. Thanks.

LSD or any psychedelic CAN change you in the long run. It's about what you do with it. They have certainly changed me in the long run. It depends on a lot of things... can you handle the things it brings up? Can you let go and push through to that place where something new is revealed? In any case, they're not a magic bullet... afterwards, it may seem easy to be different for a bit, but you have to use that push to do some real work on yourself because that afterglow will fade. Ultimately, they can produce lasting positive change, but you have to work for it, and remain vigilant.

This is only my experience. Yours may be completely different.

Immediate term;
- visual (often geometric) hallucinations, possibly good or bad
- audible hallucinations, possibly good or bad
- incredibly fast and abstract thoughts and thought processes, possibly good or bad
- senses are enhanced and become tactile
- crossed senses, seeing colours, tasting sounds etc
- creativity can be extremely enhanced, almost to the point of "cheating"
- euphoria, a sense of "completeness"
- content, a "connection" with the rest of humanity and the universe

Short term;
- afterglow, there is a chance you will feel uplifted and renewed for a few days or weeks, even months perhaps
- restlessness, sometimes a trip can drain you physically and mentally, especially LSD
- reintegration, can be difficult to reintegrate into society after a heavy trip (eg going back to work and doing the things we sometimes have to do)
- processing/accepting/learning, the things/thoughts you've discovered or experienced during the trip to then be applied to real life

Long term;
- appreciation for humanity and others
- increased general love and empathy for things and people
- realising your potential
- managing your mind may be easier, and it may be easier to tap into calmer, more meditative states of mind when needed
- observing the "bigger picture", understanding that there are much bigger things than us in the universe and that most things that happen on this planet are truly trivial
- an increased appreciation for the weird, obscure and eccentric

Again, your experiences may be vastly different. But this is also the general vibe I get from reading other experiences online.

LSD has changed my life for the better, but I have been very cautious with it and tend to do it on my own. With friends I find it's a completely different experience, but both conditions are worth investigating. It will blast open your perception and your mind and it will take a long time for you to understand the things you've experienced, but it will always be worth it in the long run.

Be safe and cautious. Do not go into a trip angry or frustrated. Go in with a calm and happy mind state. LSD is highly forgiving and one of the most marvellous discoveries ever conceived.

Also note that you will have to do all the work - the drug is just the key. I used to be incredibly angry and easily frustrated, but after a year or two of self discovery I've realised that I'm way better than that. The journey never ends, friend!

I haven't tried DMT so I cannot comment on that.

Sure it can! But as mentioned earlier it isn't a magic solution. Some things have no shortcuts.

When I was in high school I started tripping because it gave me a sense of identity. Several years later, as a young adult, I realized that the identity I'd fused with drugs was too heavily dependent on tripping, and that many of my core issues were still issues that had to be overcome sober.

Acid can help you see the narrative of your life from so many new perspectives. For example, on one of my trips I realized that I hadn't looked my father in the eyes for so many years because I'd hated so many things about him. His anger issues, his hypocrisy, his depression. But going a bit deeper I realized it had been years since he'd gotten mad at me, that he'd mellowed out on his moralizing, and that he'd long been doing the best he could to keep his depression at bay. So I felt like I'd crystallized my hate for him even though he'd become a better person since the time my hate was forged.

But the thing about our narratives is that they are constantly being written, even when we're sober. In the same way that it was up to me to forgive my father and not become the very thing I'd hated--an effort that continues every day--it's up to you to take responsibility for your learning and respect that acid can show you the way without being the only way.

Good luck!

p.s. Always have a good set and setting before tripping ;)

I have lots of anger in me. I have a lot of stuff going on and I want to do DMT but I can only get acid. I want to know if acid will help me internally and spiritually change into a different person. I have just about only been screwed over on acid and I don't think I have ever really taken real acid and if it was real I didn't trip long. I want to try it but want to know some things to expect for the long term and short term and so on. Thanks.

Be careful. It's unlikely that LSD (or even DMT) by itself will do anything about your anger. Consider seeing a therapist if you really want some help with changing yourself for the better. Acid can't help you, it can only help you help yourself.

Acid can just set you on the right path but it cant walk the path down for you. Youll still have to do all the work

If you're going to try and use it to analyse the source of your anger / how to let it go, it could very well help, but it's not a guaranteed thing after one trip.

It's taken me years and many trips to realise why I behave in certain ways or what is the cause / trigger of something.

At the end of the day, things tend to always just boil down to acceptance. If you can truly accept your problems/feelings, you won't be angry about it anymore.

I echo the above but think that it does matter what the anger is about whether it is likely to change. If you are naturally an angry person who is sensitive to things that don't bother other people then it's difficult because it is apparently due to some trait, but if the anger is more situation dependent and something you have built up, then it could be helped by something like catharsis and learning to look patiently and compassionately at yourself and others which psychedelics can help do.

Acceptance, sure, that too... But for some people anger could be really biological like a disorder, well at least some underlying thing that could produce anger, from a lot of adrenaline or something else. Then it could be much harder, and some of the tips said in this thread would be similar to telling someone with ADHD to learn to pay more directed attention.

Last edited:
I hear what you're saying with regards to his anger potentially being attributable to a physiological issue i.e. in the same way ADHD isn't really comparable to an emotion such as anger, but the OP just mentioned anger and gave us no context besides 'lots of stuff going on', so essentially it's hard to say anything besides what's already been said.

I'd probably advise against the LSD if he's that pissed off... :/

Yes, I believe that LSD (and other psychedelic drugs) can induce long-term changes in a person's personality & outlook...it has that potential, anyway. I know that drugs like LSD and psilocybin definitely changed me...but in a good way. A lot of times people say that "drug use changed me", and it's almost always in a negative context, but the great thing about psychedelic hallucinogens is that the change can just as easily be a desired and beneficial one (IMO)

If you have a lot of anger in you, maybe feel isolated... then there's a good chance that atleast the afterglow phase of the trip is going to be thoroughly unpleasant, forcing you to experience these emotions in all their "glory".

Of course this might actually give you hints as to *why* you feel that way, and set you on the right path to get these issues under control, especially if you're also seeing a therapist.

I really liked reading this thread, and the descriptions people have of how LSD has affected them in the long term. I can relate to most of it.

I think most of what needs to be said has been said already, but I'll throw my 2 bits in anyways.

LSD can be like a mirror that can show you things about yourself that you might normally be blind to. If you have the desire to work on your anger, I think it could be beneficial. But like others have said, it won't do that for you. After the trip is done you're left right back at where you started and it's up to you to make the changes to become the person you want to be. Acid is revelatory.

I believe acid has definitely changed me in the long run, or more precisely it's shown me how to change myself. Among many other things, it's helped me to become a more positive and less angry person.

My impression is that vaped DMT would be less useful for this kind of self-therapy/growth than LSD is, because it's such a fast, intense, transcendent experience. I've never done DMT though so can't speak from personal experience. Conversely, I think oral DMT (aka ayahuasca) would probably be very good for what you're looking for because it is a much more drawn out experience.

Everything changes you on the long term...remember.... the change is happening right now.

If you have a negative experience and you dwell on it. Just forget the bad and move on with your life.

if u didnt trip for at least 9 hours it probaly wasnt real acid. Iv always tripped for at least 11

I think LSD could help with your anger. It did to me a little bit i think, i look at everything different like I appreciate every thing more than I did before. If you want real answers that will make you want to change yourself to be a better person and all this stuff, I would definently recommend DMT.

and if I was you, I wouldn't go into a trip with a bunch of built up anger, you will probaly have some bad thoughts and that will throw you into a bad trip. I don't want to cause a bad trip for anyone, ever, its literally the worst thing ever. But no trip is really a bad trip IMO.

First bad trip I had was when I did 6 hits for the first time(not sure how strong each hit was) but God damn I was having a bad trip for only 3 out of the 12 hours I tripped but it felt like forever..I had voices in my head, the visuals were so intense I literally couldn't see anything, then I would close my eyes trying to escape them but nahhhh the CEVs were even more intense.felt like a died an infinite amount of times but I came back to reality, realized I wasn't dead and I was fine. Enjoyed the rest of my trip but was in a weird mindset for the rest of it. I was tripping with 2 other people and didn't say one word to anyone the entire night.

During that trip, theres nothing I could have wanted more than just dieing so all that would end. But after it was a great experience, learned alot about myself.

My unprofessional opinion, based mostly on interacting with psychedelic users over the years, is that the most common change people tend to experience as a result of using psychedelics is a shift from viewing their relationship to the outside world as competitive to cooperative; from hostile to harmonious. For example, broadly speaking, psychedelic users seem more likely to view society as a group of people mutually benefiting each other, in a give-and-take kind of exchange; whereas non-psychedelic users will be more likely to think that you can only climb to the top by stepping on others' toes on the way up.

Obviously I'm biased toward psychedelics, since I use them a lot myself, and of course there are exceptions to every rule. That's just my two cents.

My unprofessional opinion, based mostly on interacting with psychedelic users over the years, is that the most common change people tend to experience as a result of using psychedelics is a shift from viewing their relationship to the outside world as competitive to cooperative; from hostile to harmonious. For example, broadly speaking, psychedelic users seem more likely to view society as a group of people mutually benefiting each other, in a give-and-take kind of exchange; whereas non-psychedelic users will be more likely to think that you can only climb to the top by stepping on others' toes on the way up.

Obviously I'm biased toward psychedelics, since I use them a lot myself, and of course there are exceptions to every rule. That's just my two cents.

This is excellent and fully relates to how my relationship changed with the world.

Before, I was quite competitive - especially since I was young. But now it seems all I want to do is work with interesting people and achieve interesting things together. I couldn't care less if I "made it to the top".

However, there is one downside - I occasionally get frustrated when I see inconsiderate behaviour from other people. Obviously, some people can't be helped, but it's always a wet dream of mine to think of a theoretical world where everyone would just work together and not against one another, and really start acknowledging that we all exist in the same bubble. The lack of thought for others can be really astounding.

I would be careful with that... My friend took quite a small dose (250) "to work things out in her life" (it wasn't her first time on acid) and she completely ruined her life. I was her trip-sitter and it was really scary, when I noticed, that after few hours she started to freak out, was calling my name and I had to shake her for 30 seconds so she could "come back". When acid started to wear off, she was getting back to normal for few minutes and then just drifting away again. Well, she said we should go to sleep, so I was relieved and thought, that it has finally ended, but when I woke up she was still tripping balls. But not really visuals, just in her mind, if you know what I mean. She was on and off all day and that night I called an ambulance. She was just throwing up, running around my room in pure panic, falling on the floor, asking me stupid things. I went to hospital with her, but she said I should go home, because everytime she sees me, I remind her of that "unreal world". So I went home and after 2 days when she came home, she asked me to move out and was acting batshit crazy. Like she wasn't my bestfriend, like she hated me. I was so confused. She kept talking about getting rid of unwanted things and people, was throwing out lots of her clothes and other stuff. After few days she reached out to me and apologized, I went to see her and it was really sad... I see the same person outside, but inside is someone else... She said she was all fine, but I could see that she wasn't. Now, few days ago she called me and said that she was held in a psychiatric hospital. I, myself, had experience with different substances and had nothing against it, if used with care. With my bestfriend we've been doing some MDMA together, but when I was taking half of pill for whole night, she would take 2 or even 3... Seemed like she lost control of this stuff, as I was sleeping at home and she was going to different parties abusing MDMA and speed with other "friends". I was taking care of her when she was hangover, it was really bad after speed. She would tell that she would never do it again, yet next morning she comes back half dead once again. I believe, that the psychosis could have been induced by various drugs taken in short period of time, but it also could have been just something inside her head that triggered it. Anyway, I would be really careful, with psychedelics you shouldn't be drifting too far away "to make some sense", I would just take it to enjoy the music, the visuals, with a mindset just to have a good time. If I would start to think about my life, my choices, my situation- I would be doomed, probably. That's why I am afraid to do acid. And after what I experienced with my friend- I don't think I'll ever do it. Although, I know many people, who take acid and they are completely fine after years and years of using it. It's not for everyone. The question is- do you want to find out? :)

Tripping as a Tool for Self-Improvement

Psychedelics are the chameleons of the drug world—amenable to a variety of uses, dependent on the user’s attitude. The importance of set and setting cannot be overstated. If you use them as intoxicants, you will become intoxicated. If you want to see pretty shapes and colors and “trip out” to music, then they will act as sensory enhancers. If you want a new mode of consciousness that leads you to experience life in a novel way, they will satisfy that urge.

I maintain that there’s nothing wrong with any of these approaches. “Getting fucked up” is a completely legitimate reason to trip (though not the most productive one). There’s no need for self-described “serious” psychonauts to condescend to recreational users, decrying their use as disrespectful or idiotic. (See Sacredness is in the eye of the beholder for my detailed thoughts on that issue.) Everyone enjoys sovereignty over his or her own consciousness—this is the meaning of cognitive liberty.

But the fact remains: these psychedelics can go much deeper than recreation. Those who never choose to explore psychedelics more seriously than as intoxicants or sense-enhancers will miss out on their greatest potential. Why stop at pretty sounds and colors when these medicines can catalyze deep epiphanies and lasting change?

And psychedelics are very much agents of change. They can show you your shadow self, dragging your insecurities and internal conflicts into the light for examination. Or mediate a conversation, even a partnership, with the subconscious. They unseat your deepest assumptions and lead you to question the most rigid of habits and biases. Psychedelics are molecular battering rams, crumbling the castle called Ego and raising from the rubble a profound feeling of pure love and unity. They can introduce you to God, bridging for a time the seemingly unbridgeable gap between the human and divine spheres of existence. Perhaps more importantly (the blasphemy!) they introduce you to yourself. Your real self, defenses down, moat drained, drawbridge lowered. A trip may be the first time you have a free reign in your own mental kingdom. A molecule may be the truest mirror you ever held up to yourself.

Much of this potential is likely to pass the recreational user by. You often get what you ask for, and if your attitude does not predispose you to a therapeutic or spiritual trip, you are less likely to experience one. Of course, a user will sometimes stumble upon personal revelations quite by accident. Even the most stubborn eyes and minds can be opened, allowing some insights to filter in. Such is the power of these chemicals, and the human mind.

Leo Zeff, the underground psychedelic therapist profiled in The Secret Chief Revealed, believed that a trip’s value is in catalyzing personal growth. But those who approach the psychedelic experience with respect and intention will learn much more from their trips, and will be better prepared to integrate those lessons into their daily lives. As Leo Zeff, a pioneer of the underground psychedelic therapy movement, used to say, the quality of a trip is measured not by your experience that day, but how you grow in the subsequent months as a result. If we commit ourselves to being accountable to the insights received, then every trip can become a transformative event, a tool for self-improvement. The best kind of trip is one you grow from.

Casual trippers often overlook two important stages of tripping: preparation and integration. Without attending to these steps the user is unable to reach the pinnacle of a truly therapeutic trip and maximize the learning process. Lots of people don’t realize that psychedelics are a school—and like any school, you need to study and do your homework. I’ll elaborate on preparation and integration in future posts; they are terrific methods for making the most of the dose.

Myron Stolaroff, a researcher and advocate of psychedelic psychotherapy, describes how recreational use tends to taper off naturally:

The use of psychedelics is self-regulating in most cases. Their true purpose is to enhance growth and interior development. Used only for pleasure, or abused, the Inner Self is thwarted, which leads to unpleasant experiences and depression. Though everyone who pursues the use of psychedelics for personal growth must be prepared for the “dark night of the soul” experiences, those who seek only entertainment will lose interest in these substances.

Tripping for entertainment may lose its charm, but tripping for personal growth can lead the intrepid psychonaut to ever greater heights over years of directed use. Rewards increase as self-understanding deepens.

Transformation is the highest purpose we can set for ourselves when exploring consciousness. “Psyche-delic” means mind-revealing, and indeed, seeing oneself more completely may be the most psychedelic activity there is. I take Leo Zeff’s advice, measuring a trip’s true value by how much I grow from it afterwards. Heck, that’s a great way to rate any experience, psychedelic or not: how has it changed your life?

While I honor every individual’s right to choose how to explore consciousness, I encourage those of you who have never had the pleasure to try out the self-improvement approach. (This is not an admonition to take drugs, only a recommendation for harm reduction to those who already choose to trip.) If you trip, trip with intent. Set goals. Treat it with gravity and respect, like a therapeutic session. That’s what the psychedelic experience is: a deep and honest interview with yourself. Plan to dig deep and stay positive, committing yourself to confronting all conflicts and negative feelings as they arise.

Best of all, “tripping with intent” is not an alternative method so much as a complementary one. People use psychedelics for all sorts of reasons—to improve sex, deepen their connection with nature, channel the divine, explore their internal emotional landscape, and so on. A focus on self-improvement, with proper preparation, method, and post-trip integration, will help bring more meaning to all of these activities.

Besides, a LSD trip can last twelve hours, and shrooms is at least six. That’s plenty of time for a variety of activities and settings! My suggestion is, if you’re accustomed to recreational tripping, especially in a social setting, set aside some alone time on each trip for quiet introspection. Then ask yourself, what’s holding me back in life? How does my behavior compare to my goals and self-beliefs? What would I like to change about my life? Focus on self-growth before, during, and after the trip, and you will wind up with extraordinary lessons from the other side of the psychedelic frontier.

If you’re looking for more specific guidance about tripping for self-improvement, stay tuned! That’s the main goal of this blog—to awaken people to the highest potential of psychedelics, to help you make the most of the dose. In the meantime, you can read up on psychedelic psychotherapy and trip guides. Researchers like James Fadiman, Myron Stolaroff, Leo Zeff and others have shed some light on the best techniques for therapeutic tripping. You don’t need a psychology degree to gain insight from psychedelics; you just need to pay attention.

psychedelic-explorers-guide secretchief

If you’ve experienced positive results from tripping with intent, share your experience with others! Give your “recreational” friends the opportunity to take tripping more seriously. Some people will resist, but others will be ecstatic that you opened their eyes to the higher potential of these chemicals. You never know; it just might change someone’s life.

Let me know in the comments—what have you learned from tripping? How has it changed your life?
A Final Note on Safety

As we repeatedly stress on HighExistence, psychedelics must be approached with reverence and caution. We believe that in a loving context, psychedelics are powerful medicines with tremendous potential, but there are a number of physical and psychological safety concerns that one should consider before journeying with psychedelics. Please, please do plenty of research, and do not take psychedelics if you have reason to believe that they will not jibe with your personality or particular mental baggage. The Essential Psychedelic Guide on Erowid is an exceptional free resource, and we recommend reading it, especially the section on ‘Psychedelic Safety,’ before ever dabbling in these substances. You should understand the risks, understand your reasons for experimenting and the benefits you hope to gain, and use the substances responsibly. Take care, and happy tripping. : )

http://highexistence.com/tripping-as-a-tool-for-self-improvement/