• N&PD Moderators: Skorpio | thegreenhand

Documentation --- A Very Memorable Chart

Nicomorphinist

Bluelighter
I would like to encourage people out there to search and find a public domain/copyleft/expired copyright version of a graphic which appears in textbooks and other books about where drugs place on the CNS stimulation-depression continuum, with the best version I have seen listing solvents, anaesthetics, antihistamines, strychnine and other illustrative drugs along with the usual suspects and breaking down C-Jam, narcotics, alcohol, caffeine, sedative-hypnotics, and tranquillisers into low, medium, and high doses and putting them on a bar chart with the neutral area near zero in the middle. I do not have anything here which I could scan and post without copyright violations, Terms of Use, and so on, the charts I have are not the best exemplars of the illustration, and so on.

I think this type of chart is very insightful for all levels of drug users and those who chronicle them. My search for this was started by trying to find the old ones, newer ones with more detail and include a number of other drug types like anticholinergics, DXM, and psychedelics, and maybe the basis for a new chart exploring other angles of the action of drugs in a XY or XYZ Cartesian co-ordinate system, with organic damage potential and addictiveness two possible axes to be used for this.

Fair use doctrine, yo. If you are aware of a good chart then copyright is a lame excuse to avoid publishing it.

Sounds like an interesting chart...post it, i doubt the copyright attorneys will be breaking down your door as a result...

I've got two PDFs I saw on the internet once and I am looking for them, and I do have two others in mind that I can scan when the scanner is back up, so if other people out there have these, go to the drugs chapters and all right everybody lets' race: the textbooks Introduction to Psychology : Gateways to Mind and Behavior with Concept Maps and Reviews by Coon & Mitterer Copyright © 1984 Wadsworth-Cengage Learning New York, and Human Biology by John D Cunningham, Copyright © 1983 Harper & Row, 1983, third editions for both, IIRC

Also I think a co-ordinate system with physical dependence, psychological impact, and tolerance for drugs would be good and fairly easy to put together.

For the time being, I am going to use the information to help start on a graph by means of a Microsoft Excel/Quattro Pro/Lotus 1 · 2 · 3 spreadsheet using both VBA and PerlScript as a macro, which can also be put into a Word, Wordperfect, or other word processor document or Html-PHP-&c file and a Perl/Tk script with graphic interface XYZ Cartesian Co-Ordinates concept with y as the depression-stimulation continuum, x as the organic damage potential, and for addiction/habituation potential as the z axis. Drugs and their groups of classifications can be on such a system as this as points, line segments, or objects in 3D space -- zB: strychnine is at the very top of x, the extreme right for organic damage and the extreme bottom of the z, as a small sphere or a dot. Hydrochlorothiazide is a point at or near the origin. Beta blockers seem to be a line or narrow and short cylinder or cone in the V. Octant, i.e. in the bottom half, left of the origin for safety and very low on the z; opioids are a sphere, bowl, or lenticular shape with a small bit protruding above the stimulant region of the graph . . . I'll put it together in bits and pieces as I work on this narcotic analgesic equivalency programme, also to have programmes for converting amongst benzodiazepines, sedative-hypnotics, antihistamines, gabapentinoids, and NSaids -- any requests out there for future ports of any if that, specifically the programming language, operating system, interface language &c? I am already working on the main guts of the programme and will write it to be able to be run from the operating system shell, clicking on a desktop item, as a macro in a spreadsheet which also contains general information about opioids, an Html document which can be operated off line, or run as a CGI-ROM application. It also is meant to go into a Microsoft Access/Word/Outlook/Excel and freestanding programme which allows the user to keep a diary of pain occurrences and notes as well as a ledger of what medications they have taken for it; such a thing using Html and web tools like CSS, as well as ASP, PHP, generally run by a bash script which co-ordinates Perl and other programmes and then also as a CGI version.

Last edited: