• Welcome Guest

Forum Guidelines Bluelight Rules
    Fun 💃 Threads Overdosed? Click
    D R U G   C U L T U R E

Doctors Denying (or Minimizing) Dependence/Withdrawal in Psych Drugs

ChemicallyEnhanced

Bluelighter
I'm on my THIRD experience of this.

The first time was 7 years ago while in hospital (acute pancreatitis) and all of a sudden I was having anxiety attacks which I hadn't had in 6 years and I felt very tired and my parents when visiting would say I seemed like I was in slow-motion (movement and speech) and I began having suicidal thoughts. After maybe 4 days of this sudden issue I mention it to nurse. She looks at my meds and says "Oh, an anti-emetic we've got you on clashes the Sertraline [Zoloft] so we took you off it [the Sertraline] 8 days ago". I'd been on it at a high dose for 6 years.
To be fair, she immediately said "I'm so sorry, that should never have happened" by apparently, the doctor decided I'd rather be suicidal than nauseated and didn't even tell me (or..I dunno...try a different fucking nausea med?).
While the nurses (hell, even the other patients on the ward (there were 6 of us) were empathetic and kept checking I was doing okay) the doctor told me to "not be so melodramatic" because "some people will experience a mild discontinuation but nothing serious"

I'm type 1 diabetic and at one time it was discovered that my Quetiapine (Seroquel) was adversely affecting my blood glucose levels (atypical anti-psychotics can cause hyperglycaemia in even non-diabetic patents) so took me off of it. Again, I was told "no, it doesn't create an withdrawal" and then I ended up crying all day and night. And I mean, NON-STOP. I weirdly did not feel sad. Like, I wasn't sad at all, I could just not stop the continuous, inappropriate crying. I also ended up in hospital for "severe confusion" as I wasn't able to sleep (or eat) at all for like 6 days.

I just got my Thorazine script from an emergency out-of--hours place (since it's Sunday evening). I lost some of my script that I got recently (no idea how/where) so I called my doctor when I ran out on Tuesday and he was like "well, it does not cause dependency and has no discontinuation syndrome, so just wait until your next script it's just due [in 8 days] anyway".
Just had to get that emergency supply because I have spent the weekend puking, trembling, panicky and sweating. I took my normal dose (100mg*) a couple hours ago and still feel rough so had to take 3 more (400mg total in 2 hours) to get normal again.

Why don't doctors pay attention to patients or CORRECT information on these medications? Just because a medication isn't like Xanax or Dilaudid, doesn't mean someone can't really suffer without it.

Okay, rant over. Sorry.

*I take 300mg/day, but in 100mg doses t.i.d)

Exactly! The Big Pharma overlords say so many drugs (Prozac is a great example) cause "discontinuation syndrome" not withdrawal. Newspeak of the worst kind.

An old friend had on Effexor. I told him I would never take an antidepressant, Effexor especially, because of the brain zaps from withdrawal.
He got real animated telling me his doc told him nothing about them and that he though something was seriously wrong with him for a while.

I've had 4-5 docs try to get me on gabapentin, the "drug du jour" these days. I know there will eventually be an expose of it's dependence and they will cut prescribing it and blame all the addicts they've created for being weak. It happens over and over.
I want legal pot with legal cultivation in my state. Fuck Big Pharma.

Last edited:
And saying shit like – “we don’t consider use of buprenorphine as prescribed a drug use”. No it’s a fucking cure use, ain’t it? Cure for being well among other things. Again if fent is alternative, I get it, but here it ain’t like that.