• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

Opioids Doctor prescribed suboxone and hydromorphone at the same time?

burn out

Bluelighter
My mom (who has been on prescription opiates for many years) was recently in the hospital and they prescribed her suboxone to take along with her hydromorphone. She said the doctors told her to take the suboxone 3x a day (2 mg strips) and use the hydromorphone for breakthrough pain. Has anyone ever heard of such a regimen? Obviously makes no sense to me as 6 mg of suboxone per day is going to block the hydromorphone from working almost completely.

I told her to pick one or the other and that the combo was useless but she trusted the doctors over me and took both. Only after really pressing her about it did she admit the hydromorphone doesn't seem to be working anymore and now she thinks I may be right.

I would imagine the doctor is prescribing bupe/naltrexone along with hydromorphone to lower the abuse potential of hydromorphone.

Theoretically I believe this also mitigates tolerance to the analgesia of hydro.

Prescribing partial agonists, such as mitragynine, in conjunction with morphine has been shown in studies to mitigate tolerance/dependence while also maintaining it's therapeutic effect.

I have not heard of this actually being practiced in the real world, though.

I would imagine the doctor is prescribing bupe/naltrexone along with hydromorphone to lower the abuse potential of hydromorphone.

Theoretically I believe this also mitigates tolerance to the analgesia of hydro.

Prescribing partial agonists, such as mitragynine, in conjunction with morphine has been shown in studies to mitigate tolerance/dependence while also maintaining it's therapeutic effect.

I have not heard of this actually being practiced in the real world, though.
Yes
true to a point
but the main reason is because they are playing god (as usual)
and do not want her to experience any type of euphoria
any longer / at all

Most doctors will tell you
any type of euphoria in pill form is not analgesia

fuck them

Last edited:
I haven’t visited or posted anything on BL in years. I can’t even remember what brought me back to the site.. But after reading your post, I became so flummoxed I felt I had to respond. Your mother’s hospital doctor, and im not being nasty here, is an incompetent. The DR that gave her 6mg of subs daily. They made a pretty big mistake. Firstly, if she hasn’t taken any yet, make sure she doesn’t. She will go through precipitated withdrawals. Second, bupernorphine, the main active medication in Suboxone has a very long half life (it stays in the body and brain for about 24-36 hours). As someone continues to take more of the drug, it builds up in the system. In a couple days (if even that long) the full opiate agonist (hydromorphone I think you said) isn’t going to have any effect at all. She definitely wants to talk to her PCP/ pain Dr. You can’t mix full opiate agonists w bupernorphine. If she’s been on pain meds for many years, taking a suboxone strip is gonna make her feel really bad.

They already started her on sub while she was in the hospital without my knowledge. I meant to ask her if she experienced precipitated withdrawals but I forgot, will ask her tomorrow and report back. She very ill at the time so it is possible she got precipitated withdrawals but wasn't aware of it being due to the suboxone. Also, hydromorphone has a very short half life so it's possible if they gave her the sub 8 hrs or so after her last hydromorphone pill she might not have had precipitated withdrawals, right?

Another thing is that normally they don't want people saving up pain meds. In fact, she is drug tested every so often at her pain dr in order to make sure she is actually taking the hydromorphone and not selling it. I feel like giving people both suboxone and hydromorphone at the time is a weird decision considering a lot of people would simply take one and save up/sell the other.

Anyway it would not surprise me too much if the Dr. was incompetent at this point considering when she went to the hospital because we thought she had a stroke back in April they sent her home that day (despite the fact that she was unable to walk) without diagnosing stroke or even performing an MRI. Only after we took her back to the hospital the next day did they finally admit what we all suspected from the beginning, that it was a stroke. Then the same thing happened (different hospital though) when she had a second stroke in May, they sent her home saying sometimes people can have a relapse of stroke symptoms and not to worry. Only after we brought her back and insisted they do an MRI did they admit she had a second stroke. This was at supposedly one of the best hospitals in the country as well.

If you’ve been on maintenance for a while. You can take another opioid at the same time for acute pain. I’ve done it. Lowers abuse potential. Does help.

They already started her on sub while she was in the hospital without my knowledge. I meant to ask her if she experienced precipitated withdrawals but I forgot, will ask her tomorrow and report back. She very ill at the time so it is possible she got precipitated withdrawals but wasn't aware of it being due to the suboxone. Also, hydromorphone has a very short half life so it's possible if they gave her the sub 8 hrs or so after her last hydromorphone pill she might not have had precipitated withdrawals, right?

Another thing is that normally they don't want people saving up pain meds. In fact, she is drug tested every so often at her pain dr in order to make sure she is actually taking the hydromorphone and not selling it. I feel like giving people both suboxone and hydromorphone at the time is a weird decision considering a lot of people would simply take one and save up/sell the other.

Anyway it would not surprise me too much if the Dr. was incompetent at this point considering when she went to the hospital because we thought she had a stroke back in April they sent her home that day (despite the fact that she was unable to walk) without diagnosing stroke or even performing an MRI. Only after we took her back to the hospital the next day did they finally admit what we all suspected from the beginning, that it was a stroke. Then the same thing happened (different hospital though) when she had a second stroke in May, they sent her home saying sometimes people can have a relapse of stroke symptoms and not to worry. Only after we brought her back and insisted they do an MRI did they admit she had a second stroke. This was at supposedly one of the best hospitals in the country as well.

I’ve gone to some of the best hospitals as well. They are literally a joke. Often the good hospitals staff let it get to their head.

But if you think that’s bad, try a small town rural hospital. You’ll lose all faith in humanity.

-GC

You can take hydromorphone whilst on subs and it does work to stop the pain, but you wont get any "buzz from it", it will simply help the pain

I have done it before and I have done it with 120mg of DHC, yeah I felt nothing but the pain went away a little and I am on 4mg of Bupe

I know loads of people who are on Bupe and they are given strong opiates for breakthough pain and it does work but I also think it depends on the persons tolerance/metabolism etc

My mom (who has been on prescription opiates for many years) was recently in the hospital and they prescribed her suboxone to take along with her hydromorphone. She said the doctors told her to take the suboxone 3x a day (2 mg strips) and use the hydromorphone for breakthrough pain. Has anyone ever heard of such a regimen? Obviously makes no sense to me as 6 mg of suboxone per day is going to block the hydromorphone from working almost completely.

I told her to pick one or the other and that the combo was useless but she trusted the doctors over me and took both. Only after really pressing her about it did she admit the hydromorphone doesn't seem to be working anymore and now she thinks I may be right.
This actually makes PERFECT sense!!!

At 2mg doses, you still have about 60% of your opioid receptors available! So basically, that means a strong narcotic will have its potency effectively halved, but DOSAGE IS EVERYTHING, when it comes to Bupe. There is actually an entire multi-chapter guidance paper written about this.

The reason they likely chose hydromorphone is is three fold. 1. It has a wicked high binding affinity, making it harder to fresh doses of Bupe to *displace* it from Mu receptors, and thus reducing (though not entirely eliminating) the risk of percepitated withdraw. The risk of percepitated withdraw is already going to be diminished with 2mg doses, versus say 6mg or 8mg, because again, the Bupe is only occupying about 40% of receptors and hydromorphone does not occupy as many receptors in quantity as Bupe, so there’s more receptors left over for the Bupe to bind to. Hydromorphone utilizes a lower dose, so it’s less molucules fighting for a limited number of receptors. Hydromorphone binds *extremely* tightly and is highly activating! It’s binding affinity is only slightly lower than Bupe, so it’s not easy to knock off receptors (though again, with Bupe having a slightly higher affinity, PWDs are still possible). dose will correspond to much greater pain relief than morphine or oxycodone. 2. I alright kind of hit on this, but hydromorphone is highly potent and needs only a low dose. Even with 40% diminished effects, it’s still going to give superior pain relief to Oxycodone and Morphine, even when these two aren’t complicated by the Bupe situation. 3. Because Bupe provides moderate-level pain relief on its own, even a diminished potency hydromorphone can provide enough Mu receptor agonism to fill the void.

Full opioid agonists can be used in the 4-6mg range, though this is when opioid receptors occupancy becomes more of an issue. The risk of PWDs and inefficient pain relief increases, though again, I have personally seen others be prescribed both. My best friend is on 6mg Bupe each dose and had to get surgery. Her doctor (honestly a compassionate guy as he also wrote her an MMJ recommendation), told her if she was concerned, she could try tolerating 4mg dosing for the week leading up, and this would help reduce both risks. It wasn’t easy but she dropped to 4mgs, especially as she suffers from chronic pain, depression, and debilitating anxiety, so just some food for thought if someone is on Bupe and has surgery in the future.

Where Bupe REALLY becomes problematic is 8mg doses every 8-12 hours, because it’s at 8mg+ dosing where the steady state means the Mu Receptors are heavily occupied by the Bupe, so not only will full opioid agonists lose the majority of their effectiveness, PWDs become a bigger concern. Obviously less of a concern then the ineffectiveness of the pain killers since PWDs are far more common when one is *already* dependent on a full opioid agonist and the Bupe displaces them. Respiratory Depression can be an issue too, even with the ceiling effect as the ceiling effect isn’t a cutoff, it’s more like a slope. At 8mg doses, 80% of receptors are occupied and at 16mg doses, nearly 90% are occupied!

PS- I personally am a STORY MYSELF of how Bupe for baseline pain and Full Opioid Agonists (Oxycodone) for spikes and breakthrough pain can be effectively utilized! I used to be purely on Oxycodone. Over 3 years, it’s effects started to diminish. I had a choice my doctor gave me…..Use Belbuca (low dose Bupe) for baseline 24/7 relief and Oxycodone for bad days, spikes, and breakthroughs, or up my dose. I opted for choice 2. It works and I have better pain control. It’s not perfect, but wow, it’s way better then Oxy alone was! I currently take 300micrograms of Bupeprenorphine Buccal Film x2 daily. Due to the formulation, it’s total bioavailability is about 10%-15% higher than the formulation in Subs, (300mcgs of Belbuca per dose is roughly 400mcgs in subs). However, it’s NOT CHEAP, lol. Thankfully, insurance covers 80% of the cost! Still it works, though I will be the first to admit, at a low dose like that, Oxy for spikes and breakthroughs are still necessary. 😂

Thanks for listening, and I really hope this helps! 💙

You can take hydromorphone whilst on subs and it does work to stop the pain, but you wont get any "buzz from it", it will simply help the pain

I have done it before and I have done it with 120mg of DHC, yeah I felt nothing but the pain went away a little and I am on 4mg of Bupe

I know loads of people who are on Bupe and they are given strong opiates for breakthough pain and it does work but I also think it depends on the persons tolerance/metabolism etc
This!!!! I have a very TL;DR post that basically says what you did. If you are on less than 8mg doses of Bupe every 8-12 hours, you can use a full agonist….like you said, the effects will be diminished, but it should be sufficient to get you through breakthrough pain if you are on a low-moderate dose of Bupe.

wow I didn’t even know this was a thing

do you feel any side effects from the bupe? Like depression, or weight gain? I know a lot of people on subs that are depressed and have gained a lot of weight and just don’t seem like there former selves are not happy and feel trapped and unable to get off the suboxone but none are on low dose I have chronic pain that is not well controlled by Oxy but I fear getting on suboxone gaining a bunch of weight, getting depressed and having the dr never allow me to go back to just oxy because of the opioid war
Hi there and no worries! 💙 So before I was on Belbuca, I really only knew baseline things about Bupe, but ended up doing a ton of research after it was prescribed 😌. So these are good questions.

1. On depression, actually the opposite effect! I feel depression come on less intensely then it used to, and I feel I can *take on* stress a little better too. Helps mildly with mood boosting too. I think this is due to Bupe’s K-Receptor Antagonism, so Bupe basically blocks some of your bodies dynorphins (a dysphoric chemical), from binding to bodies receptors.

2. No weight gain observed. With that being said, I have noticed about 1-3 hours after taking it I craves sweets, so just something I’m mindful of. I think it causes slight satiating food cravings, but nothing unmanageable.

3. In response to your observations, you already hit the nail on the head. They are on high doses, and I think this can be problematic *for some* long term. At high doses, you are constantly blocking those depressive dynorphins very strongly. I would imagine your body might *create* other ways to get around that and hace similiar effects, as ultimately you need *some* dynorphins. Not sure on that, but that is my guess, too much of a good thing. At higher doses, although there’s a ceiling effect, in some ways, it can somewhat function closer to how full agonists do, so that might be a consideration as well.

All I can tell you for sure is that at 600mcgs daily (300 x2 daily), it’s a godsend therapeutic! I think at a lower dose, you would be fine to be on it without much side effects or negatives. What type were you looking to go on? Low dose subs? I had heard of some doctors taking 2mg tablets, and having patients take half in the morning and half in the evening for 1mg doses…..and then if that isn’t effective, increasing to a single 2mg tablet in the morning and one in the evening for 4mg daily. There is Belbuca which goes up 900mcgs every 12 hours, but it’s been a little pricey for me hahaha

NO OFFENSE! But I hope to God you didn't take the sub! That Dr has no idea wtf he's doing. Hello: 1st & foremost: Prescipated Withdrawals! OUCH (I've been there more than once you do not want that!!!). Secondly, Dr's seem to overprescribe subs, 3 xs a day is a lot. I once got a script n my Dr wanted me take a lot more than I needed a day. Beware....

I used to think doctors who prescribed buprenirphone and then another opioid were insane. I work in a hospital now and it’s surprisingly quite a popular combination for neuroscience specifically interventional pain. Definitely not Suboxone strips but the buprenorphine transdermal patch and then an opioid for breakthrough pain. I’ve never heard of any patient complaining about being put into precipitation withdrawals due to it…if anything they seem to think it works great. Go figure right….Ask me this a couple year ago and I would have went on and on about it lol.

I’ve gone to some of the best hospitals as well. They are literally a joke. Often the good hospitals staff let it get to their head.

But if you think that’s bad, try a small town rural hospital. You’ll lose all faith in humanity.

-GC
This is why I fucking hate doctors and hospitals. Don’t trust them.

I can't remember if I updated this already but I just wanted to mention my mom didn't notice any precipitated withdrawals but when she saw her normal pain doctor he couldn't understand why they did this and told her to stop taking the sub. She didn't get any pain relief from the sub and is now back on her old regimen.

So true. When I was going into septic shock and my organs were shutting down from endocarditis I had the unfortunate luck to be in a small town rural rehab. I couldn’t stand up to figure out how to make it to the cafeteria to eat. They sent me twice to the small town rural ER and each time sent me right back saying I was in withdrawals. Rehab was going to send me to a homeless shelter because legally if I couldn’t eat they had to make me leave. Anyways long story short after spending probably 2 hours in counselor office trying to figure out how to get onto Facebook as my brains cognitive ability was reduced to nothingness finally convinced a long lost friend to pick me up. Got home, fell asleep and woke up three days later. Wife at the time took me to Tier 1 hospital in city and immediately they figured it out. Needed my first open heart surgery a month later as the bacteria was allowed to continue hammering away at tricuspid valve. I always wonder how life would be different had those garbage small town rehabs and hospitals not been a part of my journey. Ah well. Life is life

Congrats on the mod stick though guy happy to see you have it 🙂

So true. When I was going into septic shock and my organs were shutting down from endocarditis I had the unfortunate luck to be in a small town rural rehab. I couldn’t stand up to figure out how to make it to the cafeteria to eat. They sent me twice to the small town rural ER and each time sent me right back saying I was in withdrawals. Rehab was going to send me to a homeless shelter because legally if I couldn’t eat they had to make me leave. Anyways long story short after spending probably 2 hours in counselor office trying to figure out how to get onto Facebook as my brains cognitive ability was reduced to nothingness finally convinced a long lost friend to pick me up. Got home, fell asleep and woke up three days later. Wife at the time took me to Tier 1 hospital in city and immediately they figured it out. Needed my first open heart surgery a month later as the bacteria was allowed to continue hammering away at tricuspid valve. I always wonder how life would be different had those garbage small town rehabs and hospitals not been a part of my journey. Ah well. Life is life

Congrats on the mod stick though guy happy to see you have it 🙂

Much appreciated man! And good to see you around again too! :)

-GC

This is why I fucking hate doctors and hospitals. Don’t trust them.
You can't throw an entire profession into one pot. Yes there are some docs who would seem to have chosen the profession mostly for the prestige and the ego trip, but the majority of people who study medicine do actually want to help people. I've been treated with gross incompetence at times when in hospital, but usually received very professional care.

PS about the occasional issues with med prescriptions and their interactions, is I think some doctors forget why there's a reason you have clinical pharmacologists and why that's a specialty. Doesn't hurt to consult with a colleague sometimes.

Last edited: