• BASIC DRUG
    DISCUSSION
    Welcome to Bluelight!
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
    Benzo Chart Opioids Chart
    Drug Terms Need Help??
    Drugs 101 Brain & Addiction
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums
  • BDD Moderators: Keif’ Richards | negrogesic

Doctor/patient confidentiality, and college doctors.

crashketchum

Bluelighter
I'm a college student in the US, and I'm wondering if the student health facility is able to prescribe controlled substances. I question this because I went in a while ago for a cough, and the doctor prescribed me 5 medications I couldn't even afford instead of cough syrup. They didn't know about my drug use, so that must have just been common practice there. I want to see if I can get prescribed suboxone from them since I've been getting withdrawals since I quit, but I don't know what they'd do if they knew I was an opiate user. I'm not sure if they'd put my name on some sort of list that would let all doctors know I'm an addict, and I wouldn't be able to get opiate medications from anywhere anymore. If that's the case I'll just deal with the symptoms until they eventually fade away, but I'd very much prefer that I got help with it. So I'm wondering if the only person that would know if I were to go in would be just that doctor, or if they'd let other doctors know, and if student health facilities are even able to prescribe opiates in the first place.

General practitioners don't like to prescribe controlled substances, especially for opiate replacement therapy. Given the fact that you're at a university, they would likely be extra cautious not to give students medications that can be habit-forming or abused. I think you would be better off seeing a psych doctor who specializes in addiction if you want to go on suboxone. This subject is not something that we at Bluelight can give you a definitive answer to. I will leave this open for now in case others have been in your situation and can share their experiences.

I would not see a doc from the school. Doctors need a special license in order to prescribe suboxone/subutex. I really doubt a university doc would have that license.
And with most docs the younger you are, the more they’d like to not script a controlled substance.

I'm a college student in the US, and I'm wondering if the student health facility is able to prescribe controlled substances. I question this because I went in a while ago for a cough, and the doctor prescribed me 5 medications I couldn't even afford instead of cough syrup. They didn't know about my drug use, so that must have just been common practice there. I want to see if I can get prescribed suboxone from them since I've been getting withdrawals since I quit, but I don't know what they'd do if they knew I was an opiate user. I'm not sure if they'd put my name on some sort of list that would let all doctors know I'm an addict, and I wouldn't be able to get opiate medications from anywhere anymore. If that's the case I'll just deal with the symptoms until they eventually fade away, but I'd very much prefer that I got help with it. So I'm wondering if the only person that would know if I were to go in would be just that doctor, or if they'd let other doctors know, and if student health facilities are even able to prescribe opiates in the first place.

No they would not put you on a list, and there's something known as doctor/patient confidentiality, and HIPPA laws here in the United States.

With all doctors even GPs and ones you find at universities and colleges for students, honesty is the best policy. Tell them what's happening, how you want to stop using opiates, and about the medication you would like to use to help you do this. Good luck.

Since you are at a university try seeing a counselor or therapist as a lot of colleges and universities allow you to see a counselor or therapist for free, and yes they are extremely private.

Tell them about your addiction to opiates, how you want to stop, and this will be helpful since you will learn coping mechanisms and tools for helping you stay sober. Good luck.

Last edited:
If you genuinely, sincerely want to quit opiates for good, try to find a specialized addiction clinic or doctor and tell them the truth. Even if it does go on your medical record, that shouldn't be much of an issue for you once your addiction is behind you (I'm assuming you would still be prescribed painkillers properly if you needed them for pain).