• BASIC DRUG
    DISCUSSION
    Welcome to Bluelight!
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
    Benzo Chart Opioids Chart
    Drug Terms Need Help??
    Drugs 101 Brain & Addiction
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums
  • BDD Moderators: Keif’ Richards | negrogesic

doc trying to get me to switch from oxy to opana... could you please give an opinion.

bspicer1

Greenlighter
Hello,

I'm just wanting someone to give an opinion on switching form oxycodone to oxymorphone.

Last edited:
Opana is much stronger then Oxy IMO. If your doc wants you on it, and isn't willing to up your oxy dose then I guess your best bet is to just switch or just be honest and explain your situation.

well they are reformulating the Opana ER's like the new Oxycontin OP's so they will gel up therefore your insufflating will do no good. Someone will chime in with all the info and BA of both.

the oral BA is quite poor for oxymorphone. nasal and plugging are better routes, while IV provides 100% BA. i would suggest listening to your doctor and following his directions on what he wants you to take and do. if he wants you on the opana, then do it and be greatful you have pain medication as many people dont have the opportunity or dont have the money to pay for the meds. if i were you, i would just swallow the pills, abusing them might seem fun, but it's really just fruitless. your tolerance raises as you chase the high and as a result, you won't get effective pain treatment from the opana. remember that pain meds are for pain management, they are there to help you deal with the pain and do not completely take away the pain (atleast in most cases)

opana is much more effective and 2x as potent as oxycodone. opana is=oxymorphone. while the oral BA lacks, it still has strong qualitiesand better pain relief benefits. plusbeing on the new oxy ops must suck considering the time release mechanism and shorter half lifethan opana....go to opana, IMO

yeah, id give the opanas a try. if u didnt like them the first time u tried them maybe it was too high of a dose. give them another shot and start low... as not only are they stronger than OC but they have a different feel to the
too. good luck, and let us know what happens!

I was on oxycontin 60 3 times a day, my insurance decided it would now be a $700.00 copay starting in January. RIGHT ?! My pain clinic put me on opana er w/intac. It didn't even touch my pain. The problem was that all happened on Friday, so the weekend has been pure hell. This drug needs off the market. If a knife or drill bit can't get through, how the hell does the human body. I am so sick of the drug addicts making it so hard for the patients that really need pain meds to get them with no problem. Leave this one alone, you will regret it.

I am so sick of the drug addicts making it so hard for the patients that really need pain meds to get them with no problem.

I hear that. I was tried on Opana and didn't like it. Even the IRs I found lacking. Some people swear by em but for me they were definitely sub-par to oxy.

One question I have for the OP is what mg of Oxycodone are going from and what mg of Opana are you starting on? Personally my doc did a good conversion and I do like the Opanas but personally I get the generics and thankfully I also get some Oxycodones for BT. Like another poster mentioned, I am grateful for the docs I see.

I know I'm new here (this is my 1st. post) but have been reading here for some time and I have been in your situation I was on hydrocodone and oxycodone ER and the OC wasn't cutting it anymore so the Dr. switched me to 30Mg opana ER well that was about as good as taking a Tylenol. He then switched me to opana 40Mg and that was like taking 1 1/2 Tylenol I was in agony (this was over the course of 1 month per change) suspecting they weren't digesting well I asked about trying the generic oxymorphone ER 40MG and after a few days of the oxymorphone building up in my system it has been a life saver! I've tried the opana ER brand 30 & 40 the hard plastic ones and they sucked REALLY bad I've tried the global G74's almost round orange they work ok but I prefer the actavis 230's with the moon on them those work the best.
Before the change I could only walk a few hundred feet before I was in severe agony now I lead a fairly normal life yes my pain is still there but without the oxymorphone I would be bed ridden at this point.

I know I'm new here (this is my 1st. post) but have been reading here for some time and I have been in your situation I was on hydrocodone and oxycodone ER and the OC wasn't cutting it anymore so the Dr. switched me to 30Mg opana ER well that was about as good as taking a Tylenol. He then switched me to opana 40Mg and that was like taking 1 1/2 Tylenol I was in agony (this was over the course of 1 month per change) suspecting they weren't digesting well I asked about trying the generic oxymorphone ER 40MG and after a few days of the oxymorphone building up in my system it has been a life saver! I've tried the opana ER brand 30 & 40 the hard plastic ones and they sucked REALLY bad I've tried the global G74's almost round orange they work ok but I prefer the actavis 230's with the moon on them those work the best.
Before the change I could only walk a few hundred feet before I was in severe agony now I lead a fairly normal life yes my pain is still there but without the oxymorphone I would be bed ridden at this point.

i have to agree with you on the brand name Opanas. Those are pretty useless and it seems as though they've made them so abuse-proof that in doing so they've made them practically indigestible by the human body. I get the abuse-proof goal and all but they really need to keep in mind the original reason they're making the drug in the first place....to fight pain. If they can't be digested, they can't fight pain so IMHO, back to the freaking drawing board Endo!