• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

Benzos Doc plans to start me on Xanax or Valium....Is this a Mistake??!

Rx ReflexZ

Greenlighter
So my Dr has been talking to me about scripting a benzo. She has been talking about Xanax and Valium. I have been avoiding this though because the one time i had illicit Kpins i took about 10 mgs in two or three days.. and blacked out for about 2 days..that was pretty stupid but i had been taking roxicodone for about 6 or 7 months and was cut off bcuz the clinic stopped doing chronic pain meds. I couldnt handle the wds. I would be taking it mostly for pain with a little anxiety. I was Diagnosed with Chronic Pelvic Pain Syndrome, Chronic non-bacterial Prostatitis, Potassium Sensitivity, IC Cystitis, and suspected Ulcerative Colitis. What I would like to know if anyone thinks that this would help, and would it be worth it.. I've just heard some nasty benzo stories.. I just want to try something new bcuz I like oxy too much and felt like I was getting very hooked to it... Feedback would be greatly appreciated...

THNX

Have you given yourself a break from opiates for long enough for your bowels to not be distressed? Colitis is fairly common from withdrawal, but it is not true UC. Anyway, benzos do help promote smooth bowel function but aren't a great idea for pain, and Xanax is certainly not the best choice for this. I'd steer clear of Xanax in particular if you're worried about abuse potential because Xanax is easy to abuse, and insanely painful to withdraw from for many (think months, if not longer, of withdrawals worse than opiates).

I have been off of oxy since 7/2011, I have had Colitis symptoms since way before any opioids. My Dad was diagnosed with crohn's Colitis in his 20's so they suspect that i inherited it. What about Valium? I dont abuse Pharmys anymore bcuz i had a very bad experience with Fentanyl powder..non pharmy...It freaked me the fuck out.
Would Diazapam be a better option? THNX

Diazapam is the most effective mild benzos. It certainly doesn't hit like alprazolam or Clonazepam but that doesn't mean diazapam isn't effective. If there was a benzo that would help smooth out bowel movements the best, I'd probably say diazapam too because of its muscle relaxant properties.

Valium is nice cause it doesn't make you compulsory redose like alprazolam did for me. Valium you can kinda take it or leave it, which is a good thing in my book.

+1 For Valium, and take it as needed only.
Obviously you've survived without it up to this point, but how is it that you two are proposing that it will affect your life in a positive way?

haha is it a mistake. It's one of the worst decisions you can ever make. You're better off poking out one of your eyes than taking benzos daily on a long term bases. Who knew such suffering was even possible? Who knew how merciless life can actually be? You don't want to go near benzo dependence my friend, unless you enjoy brain damage and intense pain plus the loss of cognitive ability and the loss of the ability to enjoy anything.

Is it possible to taper off of Benzos without withdrawal? If so Wouldn't be better If I just went back to OxyContin and Roxicodone? I am talking longterm for both. thnx

Ask yourself, and keep yourself accountable by asking it outloud here on the forum:
What part of your daily life will taking this Benzo everyday, make better than your life has been for X # of years you've been without until this point?
& in answering that, why can't it be a true PRN med in your situation?

Benzos for pain???? Not a good idea. They're hardly a good idea for anxiety (because of the rebound effect)...They are really only good if you need them once in a while. Having an unprovoked seizure from not taking a pill IS NOT FUN. Xanax is particularly known to cause seizures from W/D...Some docs hand em out like candy tho..... :/

Have you looked into herbal products? Do you smoke or vaporize marijuana? There are many strains that would suit you well and depending on your state you may be able to get it legally thru a license.

I like Valium and I think it could help you, but you dont wanna be doing that stuff everyday.

Yes I have my card in ORegon. Weed doesnt do much for me but get rid of pelvic spasms..and occasionally get rid of potassium headaches. My real question...Do people withdrawal from Valium even if they ween off very slowly...say 9 months..I would be getting scripts from a pain clinic so I doubt they would cut me off since i would b giving them 500 dollars a month just to see the Doc. Thnx for the advice.. 9 months of ween if i want to stop [any withdrawal from that]

It is much easier to manage when tapering properly (slowly, over a long period) although there is no way to avoid withdrawals 100% if you have become dependent.

haha is it a mistake. It's one of the worst decisions you can ever make. You're better off poking out one of your eyes than taking benzos daily on a long term bases. Who knew such suffering was even possible? Who knew how merciless life can actually be? You don't want to go near benzo dependence my friend, unless you enjoy brain damage and intense pain plus the loss of cognitive ability and the loss of the ability to enjoy anything.

x a billion

Stay far, far away, unless you enjoy long term suffering.

Totally agree with everything crackandscrabble said. Valium is the most versatile benzo with rapid onset & long duration, certainly would choose it over xanax.

Thnx Oxide..Half the fuckin posts on here dont even answer the question.. try not to flood my post with DONT DO IT DUDE...HELLLLLLLLLLLLL...MY LIFE IS ALREADY FILLED WITH PAIN...

What about something like clonazepam or lorzepam? I definitely found Valium to be the least effective for sleep management as well as anxiety, and would take more than I was supposed to for the desired effects.

Very true! My cat has early dementia from railing ritalins.
And my cat has been doing benzos for 42 years, what a bloody habit!

Can become very addicting and I have had negative long term side effects such as mild depression and cognitive impairment. I think it is ok if you take it in moderation. Since I've been off of Xanax mg I've been taking piracetam+choline+hydergine to overcome the long term side effects. I usually get neuro-boost(piracetam) from smartdrugsforthought.com and my hydergine as a prescription from my doctor. Please remember to take any benzo in moderation though. This is the truth man.

ok thnx guys. i will be thinking twice now and i will talk to my doc too. thnx all

k. thnx for the feedback..I think I will go with Valium

Iv'e been on & off diazepam for most of 30 years for legitimate reasons, went from 5 mg. when first scripted' - to 15 mg's for the last 11-12 years, I take no more - no less. It works, period

Last edited: