Specific Substance
    Find Reports
  • Trip Reports Moderator: Xorkoth

(DOC / 1.5mg orally) - First Time - Austere Architecture of the Psyche

Pfafffed

Moderator: PD
Staff member
DOC - 1.5mg - orally

Taken at 10AM on empty stomach with 400mg magnesium.

Trip report was lost, so recreated from memory. Somewhat dated now in terms of its relationship to other substances.

+0:05 - First alerts

+0:20 - Onset is certain. Cloudy headedness, mostly.

+1:00 - Effects still building steadily. Ate peanut butter sandwich. This resulted in a half hour of mouth watering of the kind that indicates vomiting will soon follow. After an hour, I took 5 drops of encapsulated lemon oil. The nausea stopped twenty minutes later. Body feels chilly.

+1:20 - Effects picking up speed a bit now. Cloudiness transforming into headfuck. Mild movement of patterned surfaces noted. Body still feels chilly in A/C, too warm without it. Layering up in the A/C works fine. Energy sensations in the body are not strong, but pleasant. Makes me feel like stretching. Reached peak sometime in the next twenty to forty minutes.

Some visuals were experienced at the peak, but the alteration was almost entirely headfuck. Eroticism was not increased at all, as it was quite intellectual without being detached. Sex was enhanced, without the kinkiness of amphetamines but with their enhanced attention and clarity to what is transpiring. The tactile wasn't enhanced, but the experience most definitely was. The peak was relatively short-lived, just 1-2.5hrs if I remember right. I mostly notice the extra alteration in terms of a more exaggerated headspace warping with some visuals any time I entered the bathroom.

+8:00 - Start yawning a lot. Begin to come down (if I remember correctly). Have part of a glass of wine, then a beer. Drink four beers over the course of the evening, having a margarita around ten. Headache already apparent, due to alcohol and dehydration, neck tension, or just a simple side effect of DOC. 400mg more magnesium down the hatch, diarrhea up to now continued into the following day.

+10:00/10pm - Down, if I remember correctly. No real residual stimulation. The last several hours of the trip were so purely cerebral that if it weren't for the mild body energies, light headfuck, and very mild stimulation, it would be hard to know I was altered.

Side effects: shaky hands, muscle tension in neck and back (not great, but not terrible), jaw tension (not terrible), headache, thirst. Come up had a suggestion of the chest and sinus congestion and cold snottiness that high dose 2C-B produced. Diarrhea from magnesium, persisting into the next day. The headache also persisted, but may have been dehydration/hangover related.

Overview: An archetypal psychedelic, as Sasha Shulgin said, lacking all of the subtle graces that make each unique. The intensity of the headspace was not to be underestimated despite the relative mildness and clarity of the experience. It was inelegant without being unaesthetic, much like the architecture of a bridge. While the experience was mostly confined to a firm, but clear headfuck, the material's strength and potential were quite apparent. It is powerful and to be respected. Was it visual: yes. Psychedelic: yes. Present in the body: yes. The fundamental structure of the psychedelic experience was entirely there, but the cladding giving it it's individuality were not. I find it easiest to describe DOC's character through what it lacked.

The experience was like one hit of modern LSD (~80mcg?), yet it lacked all that makes LSD unique. Gone was the hyper-analysis, the twisting and the creeping, the astringency and the cramping, and the sinister. It did not have that purple, toxic ergoline feel, and the comedown was not at all a train wreck at this dosage.

The headspace of 2C-B is the closest to that of DOC in my experience. So far, it seems to me that tryptamines transport, whereas phenethylamines distort. It's a gross generalization bordering on the useless, but I find that the deeper tryptamines like psilocin invite imagination, narrative into the experience to provide it with depth. 2C-Xs, on the other hand, tend to mostly just leave me feeling deranged as the dosages creep higher. On DOC, my mind was present, but sliced up, with many of the parts that make up my everyday waking consciousness unobserved removed for the duration. This provided a sense of mental silence, as well as of cognitive gaps. It made certain mental processes very difficult (planning a meal, timing several different dishes, playing strategy games), while others were unaffected (conversation, for instance, was easy and lucid.) This is unlike the psycholytic murk that muddles up conceptual thinking for me on most tryptamines. While I find the tryptamine space to be confusing, it is often insightful and productive. I do not find the space from most PEAs (2C-B, 2C-E, bk-2C-B, 2C-T-2, 2C-T-7, 2C-B-Fly, DOC, 6-APDB, etc.) to be intuitive, and I still have no idea what to do in it. Organaleptically, the lived experiences can be enjoyable, but the perspective shifts that I have gotten from them seem fleeting, tangential, and unimportant. They have not been anything that I can integrate into my daily life as of yet or gain any enduring insight from. If you remove from 2C-B its feeling of clarity, its violet shade, its porcelain teacup smooth curved body energies, the limpid pearlescent pool that is its headspace, you are left with the headspace of DOC. All that remains is the underpinnings of the trip itself divorced from anything distinguishing. It does not feel like a spirit, it feels like a space, like architecture, with the indifference to your plight of any inanimate object.

While it lacked the bumpy come-up feeling of metallic toxicity of methylallylescaline or the cold sickness of mescaline, it traded them for muscle tension and headache on the comedown. It also lacked the feelings of soul cleansing and peace, as well as the euphoria, tranquility, empathy, love, tactile enhancement, and pleasureable body energies. These two really are the most dissimilar to DOC and other phenethylamines. While they are all powerful in the same amplitude, the textures are very different. MAL is more scrambled and distorted, mescaline is sharp and clear, where the cognitition on DOC is steady, slicing, dissociated. If the phenethylamine space is a useful one, DOC presents a largely stable, enduring access to it, decoupled from the distractions of surges of euphoria, empathy, or transportation to other realms. I could see it as being a powerful tool for those interested in these intellectual spaces, for those that want a psychedelic that is simultaneously powerful and uncolored by its own biases or pushes.

A higher dose would be even more committing psychologically, deeper, longer, and with harsher side effects. Since the space is like a longer, stronger, more rigid version of 2C-B without the smoothness and weird flourishes, I think I will revisit 2C-B in its place if I want to explore the space to try to find some use for it. I have no doubt that a higher dose would be far more altering than anywhere I could reasonably get with 2C-B, but at this point I can't see myself signing up for that. Perhaps a dose of 2mg might be fine, certainly no more than 2.5mg in the forseeable future. I doubt that I will be revisiting this substance at all, unless I can find some use for 2c-b. While not harsh, 2c-b is still much gentler on the body, although the higher doses and its affinity for 5ht2-b receptor sites make me loathe to explore it too much due to the possible risk of cardiac valvulopathy. All in all, this seemed like a good 1st trial dose. It also seems like the character of DOC might be more pronounced at a higher dose, perhaps 1.7-2.0mg.

Tagged by Xorkoth
substancecode_doc
substancecode_amphetamines
substancecode_phenethylamines
explevel_firsttime
exptype_positive
roacode_oral

Last edited by a moderator:
Nice report, as usual. :)

That's interesting, I don't find DOC like this at all. For me, it does lack the spiritual depth of tryptamines or lysergamides, but I find it incredibly warm, emotional, fulfilling and vibrant. One of the very best for working through worldly things. I have used it who knows how many times, it's one of my favorite substances.

Yeah, I'm intrigued. Most reports of it are at much higher doses, despite what I've seen recommended as a common dose. I kind of wonder if its independent character manifests itself more prominently at higher dosages. It's just one hell of a commitment!

For me, it does lack the spiritual depth of tryptamines or lysergamides.. One of the very best for working through worldly things

Agreed. I wouldn't call it a cosmic or philosophical mindset - at least not in the way of lsd & mushrooms for example. I find DOC to have a sort of 'eloquent' quality to it, which may make concepts and situations a little easier to describe and therefore easier to rationalise and understand.

I've had a sense of 'revelation' after using DOC, though more related to things going on in my life or in my city for example rather than the complex metaphorical symbolism that I experience with psilocybes. Generally speaking, and of course there are many exceptions, but phenethylamines seem more to elaborate on concepts, while tryptamines are more likely to open my eyes to them (if that makes sense?)

OP: Your experience is quite different to what I've experienced with DOC. I usually feel rather clear-headed. Conversation for example, seems to flow freely, not in a empathogenic way like MDMA, or a stimulated way like speed - it just tends to make speaking easy for me, which is something I have some difficulty with at times. I agree that it has similarities with 2c-b, although the effects you described of that are quite different to my experiences as well.

Good read, cheers.