Open Discussion Do you think the BL search engine is easy to use to find what you want?

I never use it TBH, I honestly find Google better if I need such a service but rarely have the need.

Its not a secret that the BL search engine isnt all it could be, I'm no coder so I have no real understanding of why that's the case.

But as someone who has worked in product development for many years, the first thing I would need to know is what specifically do you want it to do tat it doesn't do now ?

Maybe examples might help to explain, like I say I never use the thing

Felix trained me well on it, so I'm nae tae bad with the SE. It's pretty shite but get out of it what you put in - ask the right questions and often the answers will appear. It's a bit Buddhist, patience is necessary....

I like that about it, but that's just me 8)

I think it easy enough to use. At first I didn't realise how much of a difference searching threads and posts separately could have. Now I find it much easier to navigate.

more people that actually use it ? this is confirmation of just how weird I truly am

No it's incredibly frustrating. I want to look for members to send them a PM, it just brings up a load of threads. I think that, at least, it should have quick instructions on how to use itsomewhere near.

Really!

Let it go!

LET IT GOOOOOOOOO,
Let it goooooo.
I can't take it anymore,
I don't care what they're going to say
Let it goooooo,
Can't hold back anymore,
let the storm rage onnnnnnn,
The cold never bothered me anyway!

(Sorry, Couldn't resist ;)

Evey

Last edited:
The post you're looking for has been UA'd, hence why you cant find it.. if it's the post that I'm thinking of that started all the search engine is broken palaver...

I never use it either Allein.. maybe you're not so weird, or maybe we both are.. :suss:

The forum search works fine; but it works very much with the database structure very firmly in mind. Understanding how posts are stored within the database will help you use it properly; but in the meantime, it's enough to know that you have to type your search term into the correct box, depending upon where you are searching for it. In particular, users' names generally aren't present in post bodies. Which is why there's a separate box for searching for the user's name.

You are of course welcome to download your own copy of the Forum software and experiment. Maybe even set up your own drug forum so you don't have to bitch and moan about Bluelight.

I don't think he's bitching about Bluelight just making a criticism. How can we ever improve things if we don't listen to criticisms. The Bluelight search engine has its uses (I've used it a few tmes) but does have its drawbacks. Owen was just highlighting these drawbacks n ask for other people's views so that the staff or engineers can move forward with any possible improvements. Surely this is ok.

Owen can't copy the software I'm sure there may be copyright preventing this? (I knpw that in the old days anyone can copy
HTML +/ javaScript code from other people's site n use it I did it myself but I think that times have now changed). He also does not have access to necessary tools to make improvements himself so thus is bringing his issues to the attention of the staff, who do have the tools to fix specific drawbacks. As Allein said, in his company, he would ask a client what they woulf like improving - what is the difference here in what Owen is saying? Would someone say to a client "Stop moaning n bitching if you have an issue copy the programme n do it yourself?" No they would, more than likely, discuss the issue n come up with possible ways of improving the problemed-system.

The fact that Owen is making these criticisms, in my view, shows that he cares for the site n wishes to make improvements. I don't see this as bitching n moaning at all but being constructive n trying to invite constructive discussion amongst EADD folk. Personally I think this thread should be moved to Support as it's an issue concerning Bluelight in general as opposed tp an issue in regards to EADD alone.

What do you think, mods?

Evey

Couldn't give a fuck - never use it. As Allein sez, its easier to just Google it - BL invariably crops up numerous times in the results.

Personally I think this thread should be moved to Support as it's an issue concerning Bluelight in general as opposed tp an issue in regards to EADD alone.

What do you think, mods?

I can't speak for any of the others but I tend to agree. The Search function is a sitewide matter that would be better served as a sitewide discussion as it is not a regional matter. As such...

EADD ---> Support

Oh, and FWIW, I find the Search funtction to be a bit hit and miss but suspect that's largely due to my own incompetence. It can definitely be frustrating sometimes but I don't need to use it often enough for it to be a major problem for me personally.

Couldn't give a fuck - never use it. As Allein sez, its easier to just Google it - BL invariably crops up numerous times in the results.

I do agree that it's quite easy to search stuff on Bluelight from Google. Every time I use Google to search anything drug-relate Bluelight threads are slmost always the first that are listed.

Evey

It's not too bad, for a scattergun search I'll use google, but it I'm after a very specific phrase or post I'll use the advanced search which is similar to dozens of other forums I use or have used at some time.

You are of course welcome to download your own copy of the Forum software and experiment. Maybe even set up your own drug forum so you don't have to bitch and moan about Bluelight.

You type this in as many words quite regularly lately I notice. Searching for those other instances is something I would use the bluelight search function for, if only I could be bothered=D

...what specifically do you want it to do tat it doesn't do now ?...Maybe examples might help to explain...
yep.
...but get out of it what you put in
yep.
No it's incredibly frustrating. I want to lok for members to PM it just brings up a load of threads.
a search engine brings up loads of threads? fancy that. thecatinthehat has the exact opposite problem. you can't both be right :)

but seriously, what do you mean by "I want to lok for members to PM"? the primary purpose of the search engine is to search through content on the site for matching terms in that content. if you can expand on what you're trying to achieve and how you're currently doing it i'll be happy to help.

i use the bl search frequently - many, many times a day - and it works very well for me.

alasdair