• N&PD Moderators: Skorpio | thegreenhand

Neuroscience Do you think Andrew Huberman is just trying to make money on mateina Yerba mate or are these “facts” scientifically proven?

This thread contains discussion about a Neuroscience-related topic

Juicewrldfan

Bluelighter
  • Increases the body’s production of GLP-1 and increases fat oxidation
  • Protects dopaminergic neurons, assisting in mood, sleep, and learning
  • Alternative source of caffeine that helps improve focus and energy levels

Sounds too be good to be true. I like yerba mate as it has a nice caffeine/theobromine ratio, but it's no panacea.

Also if you are buying it from some influencer you are getting ripped off. I used to buy it by the kilo from a Latino market nearby, for very cheap.

Sounds too be good to be true. I like yerba mate as it has a nice caffeine/theobromine ratio, but it's no panacea.

Also if you are buying it from some influencer you are getting ripped off. I used to buy it by the kilo from a Latino market nearby, for very cheap.
Supposed to have said scientifically proven. Bad autocorrect.

Yeah I didn’t buy it. He actually owns the company and is forth right about it tho. It just seems like he really knows nueroscience

Supposed to have said scientifically proven. Bad autocorrect.

Yeah I didn’t buy it. He actually owns the company and is forth right about it tho. It just seems like he really knows nueroscience
I fixed it for you.

I looked him up cursorily, and he seems decent enough, although I do worry that the financial incentives taint his messaging.

I fixed it for you.

I looked him up cursorily, and he seems decent enough, although I do worry that the financial incentives taint his messaging.
Thank you.

Yes. That was my concern, because he does lectures free on his podcast (still making money from YouTube tho) and they sound very legit to someone not in the field. I’m not in the field. I’ve watched maybe 8-9 at least. I thoroughly enjoy the lectures.

It’s a big interest of mine. I’m really not all that interested in learning about getting high these days. I am thru with that life.

But upon the way I found I really enjoy learning about stuff like this and pharmacology as well. So idk I’d love to go back to school and my job would be easy to do while going to school. Just because it interests me. I make a decent enough wage already so wouldn’t make sense to go back for something unless it is something I have a strong desire to learn about.

I guess I just like the way he presents the information. Oh and he’s not only a neuroscientist but he’s an opthamalogist. I can never spell that right.

Interesting bio too. He apparently as like a typical blue lighter up until he turned his life around. His upperbody is covered in tats from back then but you can’t tell by watching his podcast because he covers it up with long sleeve shirts every time. Idk why.

Now he’s a nusroscientist and that’s inspiring asf..

I guess I wasn’t sure about the product so thought I’d ask. He says it’s proven and there are published studies apparently tho but idk. Time to google lok

Here you go @Skorpio, is this legit to you?

@AlsoTapered
It's a review, and it basically says yerba mate has a lot of caffeine and theobromine which cause positive effects, it has antioxidants which cause positive effects, and it has carcinoginic compounds in it from its drying process.

It really doesn't point a picture of yerba mate being significantly better or worse than coffee.

It's a review, and it basically says yerba mate has a lot of caffeine and theobromine which cause positive effects, it has antioxidants which cause positive effects, and it has carcinoginic compounds in it from its drying process.

It really doesn't point a picture of yerba mate being significantly better or worse than coffee.
Kind of sounds like make a cup of coffee and stir in a little bit of theobromine supplement and you're good to go.

I have both sitting in my cupboard right now.

I mainly drink yerba mate when i want the taste. It gets me as far as coffee,, but i drink a larger volume of mate. I'm a fan though.

Could you elucidate how the dying process results in pyrenes?

If it's dehydration, are their polyphenols in the fresh plant?

I've never sampled mate although I know it's a really important social factor in a number of South American nations. I think I first heard about it in Andrew Loog Oldham's autobiographical duology 'Stoned' and '2 Stoned'. He pretty much said that it rural areas you can ask for a twist of coca leaf in your mate. That said, he used a lot of cocaine so maybe he was going to unusual outlets to imbibe his drink.

Hey Buddy!

I agree with Skorpio. I clearly don't know enough about biology to have an opinion on this, but it doesn't look like that people are claiming about it is all that wild. In other words, what the talking heads are saying is that, "Hey, Yerba mate is like a fancy type of coffee and has similiar medical benefits."

Coffee in small amounts has medical benefits. Chocoloate in small amounts has medical benefits. Is yerba mate similar in that it's a safe daily drug with a mild kick that can provide limited medical benefits? That's all that people are saying, is that it's the latest alternative to coffee.

Notably, some people get really jittery from coffee or black tea.

I'm far to anxious to want caffeine. But wouldn't you know it, someone performed a QSAR analysis of caffeine analogues.

I'm sure I would be hesitant to try 'super caffeine'.