• Philosophy and Spirituality
    Welcome Guest
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
    Threads of Note Socialize
  • P&S Moderators: Xorkoth | Madness

Do you thank god?

psychedelicsoul

Bluelighter
Outside of using a common expression... I don't really thank god for anything other than my own soul.
I believe god created us, made us "plastic" (modifiable) by ourselves and the world. I'm sort of a pantheist, since I believe the entire universe is part of gods conciousness. I think the universe is like a mind. Which is why I believe in multiple universes. I mean... we have billions of different minds, each of our minds go on forever, but it's not like our minds overlap one another or crash into one another.
I don't believe God made our bodies... I believe we evolved and when God saw us as ready, he put souls into us. I believe our souls have in fact, pre-existed the earth. In a way, our souls are like universes unto themselves.

So I guess without God I wouldn't exist, or I'd simply be like an animal... a naturalistic, soulless creature incapable of true free will and lives off pure instinct. So in that one sense, he's worth of some form of thanks...
But I don't worship him.

If a cop shoots a bad guy, do you thank the cop or the gun manufacturers who created the gun that the cop used?

Yes, all the time. Gratitude is an energy that brings more good things into your life. When you're sensitive you can even feel the energy-exchange and see the results for yourself.

Yes, all the time. Gratitude is an energy that brings more good things into your life. When you're sensitive you can even feel the energy-exchange and see the results for yourself.

That sounds cool, which belief system does that come from.

That's part of the essence of what I think are the best spiritual teachers have to teach.

And if you think about it, people never do that. We just demand and complain. So we attract more of the same type of experience that will put us in that state. As opposed to taking a moment to feel happy and grateful that generates more things corresponding to that.

Kind of like the law of attraction, I guess, like attracts like. It's kind of hard to accept at first as it's so contrary to how human nature works. But if you think about it, it actually makes sense, and I can also feel there is something to it.

That's part of the essence of what I think are the best spiritual teachers have to teach.

And if you think about it, people never do that. We just demand and complain. So we attract more of the same type of experience that will put us in that state. As opposed to taking a moment to feel happy and grateful that generates more things corresponding to that.

Kind of like the law of attraction, I guess, like attracts like. It's kind of hard to accept at first as it's so contrary to how human nature works. But if you think about it, it actually makes sense, and I can also feel there is something to it.

You actually make a very sound point

I have prayed, I have thanked god, but neither in a long time. I kinda feel like god has it in for me. This is to whatever extent I believe in god.

As for who I thank when a cop shoots a 'bad guy'. I thank no one. Someone is dead, and often enough it's not truly a 'bad guy' in such simplistic black and white terms. I am thankful that only one person died, and disappointed that it was one more than none.

I have prayed, I have thanked god, but neither in a long time. I kinda feel like god has it in for me. This is to whatever extent I believe in god.

As for who I thank when a cop shoots a 'bad guy'. I thank no one. Someone is dead, and often enough it's not truly a 'bad guy' in such simplistic black and white terms. I am thankful that only one person died, and disappointed that it was one more than none.

I believe god is amoral. I picture him as a curious, scientific type guy. I think he's been watching the earth and is entertained by evolution and stuff like that. I believe he gave us immortal souls because he thinks we're cool and wanted to have being with true free will. But not cause he loves us.

Okay, let me rephrase it. If a cop shoots and injures a bad guy...

Qft... It is just that. It's hard to get into the habit of it. But I have noticed this works, trick is you actually have to feel being thankful not just saying thanks

Yes! It's the energy of appriciation. It doesn't even need to be verbalised, you can just "send it up" or radiate it as an energy, if you're sensitive to energies like that.

I think that "god" isn't a guy (or girl or even an awareness with a personality) at all, but simply the universe itself, a raw point of awareness, the force of being. As such I don't think that praying or making requests of god has any direct supernatural purpose. However it does serve an important purpose, which is more or less what Ninae said. By putting positive energies out there, by focusing on what is good, what you're thankful for, you begin to focus more on what is good in your life. You begin to see more of the good in things, and you begin to attract goodness because those who feel that way want to become closer with others who do. Praying/thanking becomes a device with which to focus yourself in a positive direction. I thank the universe for my life regularly, not because I think it's listening, but because it's healthy to do so.

i thank the bodhisattvas/Coincidence Control Central all the time. when luck comes to you, it's best to be gracious.

I thank god everyday that I'm alive and have a roof over my head , food in my belly and a lovely wife and kids . I think if it wasn't for him I wouldn't be alive , and woudlnt be able to experience the wonderful and joyful events in this thing we call life .

I have a general practice of gratitude. It keeps me psychologically well.

I believe that god exist
The chances to create earth,life etc is so minimal like 0,000001%

The chances to be human at this universe is 0,0000000000000000000000000000001%(why not be a dog?,why not be a bacteria?why not be a tree?)do you believe that you are the lucky one who became human?
We are the soul of the god?

Sometimes I wonder where is god when a children has cancer at 5 year old for example,is that fair?hell no,but a christian elder told me that god let that humans die because they would become so bad persons at late ages

For example
A mother losts her 2 boys and marry(madona mother of jesus) appeared at her dream and told her that your boys are to paradise don't worry,I take them because at future they would fight for the same woman and one of them will kill the other...

Sometimes I wonder where is god when a children has cancer at 5 year old for example,is that fair?hell no,but a christian elder told me that god let that humans die because they would become so bad persons at late ages

For example
A mother losts her 2 boys and marry(madona mother of jesus) appeared at her dream and told her that your boys are to paradise don't worry,I take them because at future they would fight for the same woman and one of them will kill the other...

What kind of hocus-pocus is that? Even from a Christian standpoint that sounds bogus although my knowledge of Christianity is pretty limited. But either way how would that explain why there's plenty of bad people who live long lives?

its pretty complicated because you have "God" and then "the Devil" ... who are at war over the hearts and minds and souls of all humanity.... anyone who "falls in love with the things of the world" is considered to be under the control of the Devil... These sort of things would include power, fame, money, technology, lust, .....

I believe that in the whole whole perspective though "God" and "Devil" are just two seperate idenities of the same whole to personify "positive , light , love" from "Negative, dark, self" --- so the whole universe is my god .... and yes i thank it... but i am it... so i thank me

In the words of the prophet Isaiah:

Give thanks to the LORD, call on his name; make known among the nations what he has done, and proclaim that his name is exalted.

I don't even know who God is yet. Can someone introduce me first?

if there's a maker, who made the maker? ((c) carl sagan ;) )

besides that, I agree that genesis of life (chemically speaking) is rather improbable, if you look at the amount of galaxies, solar systems and associated planets, it's bound to happen in some places, and we happen to be one of those. there have also been experiments done in recreating the atmosphere and relevant conditions of the early earth, and amino acids, nuclein bases and other important things formed sponatneously.

ontopic: sometimes I feel gratefulness towards something higher than me, but I haven't defined this as "god", more like the vastness and mystery of existence, which is both beauty and horror at the same time.
truth is, science doesn't know (yet) where the universe came from, but it got us a lot closer to understanding it than every religion ever.

Last edited: