• H&R Moderators: VerbalTruist | cdin | Lil'LinaptkSix

do you peeps considering take subs/bupe being sober!?

I consider it being sober because you're sticking to just ya subs. I have a couple friends who put themselves on a pedestal because they put replaced heroin with subs and look down at me because I do meth EVEN THOUGH THEY DO IT WITH ME. They find some kind of comfort by saying "but it's not my drug of choice id rather do heroin but I'm sober now". Basically as long as you're sticking to your medication you're sober in my eyes and I don't think anyone considers weed a drug anymore.

I consider it being sober because you're sticking to just ya subs. I have a couple friends who put themselves on a pedestal because they put replaced heroin with subs and look down at me because I do meth EVEN THOUGH THEY DO IT WITH ME. They find some kind of comfort by saying "but it's not my drug of choice id rather do heroin but I'm sober now". Basically as long as you're sticking to your medication you're sober in my eyes and I don't think anyone considers weed a drug anymore.

I agree 100%. If you are sticking to subs, as prescribed, you are treating the disease of addiction, and if you are not using other illicit substances, you are sober. Would you tell a cancer patient to not take chemo or radiation to treat their disease? Of course not. Addiction is a disease by definition, so you treat the disease, and get into and stay in remission by using the medication indicated, i.e. subs or methadone at the appropriate doses for your own particular situation.

but again, people, I take meds for anti-seizure and also other problems I have, outside of addiction. does that mean I am not sober w/ those either? these medication are used to fight off certain diseases or things that could happen if NOT taken, so I take them to make sure I will be happy and be on my way w/o having to see any drug dealer, buy needles, all the BS that comes w/ it.

everyone has the right to think what they want, but if you are catching a buzz from suboxone then you did not have much of a dope habit. like I already said in this thread, and others, suboxone just makes me feel "normal", man. I do not feel a thing but I do not feel sick and I do not feel

Addiction is not a disease, lol.

The only reason it's called a disease is thanks to the US govt's 2008 mental health parity and addiction equity law. It was also very easy to rewrite the definition as it gives addicts something to blame other than themselves. They needed to rewrite the definition of addiction in order to get health insurance companies to cover the cost of rehabs & treatments. By labeling addiction a disease it allowed health insurance companies, hospitals & doctors to be reimbursed by subsidized healthcare plans for providing 'treatment' and they jumped on the bandwagon as we all know - the money is in treatments. Google it if you don't believe me. It really goes to show what a well-organized propaganda campaign can accomplish.. now everyone and their brother is going around saying how they're afflicted with a 'disease' - you can't catch an addiction.. nobody comes down with a case of addiction.

Now go ahead and flame me.

If your life is better on subs, stay on subs, if your life is better off subs, get off them. The rest is just semantics.

you can't catch an addiction.. nobody comes down with a case of addiction.

It could be argued that you "come down" with a case of addiction through repeated exposure to a substance which alters your brainchemistry so as to cause your mind/body to crave that chemical and rely on it to function. Plenty of diseases are caused by exposure to external catalysts, that doesn't make them less of a disease. And that's not touching on the people who become addicted through their exposure via. pharmaceutical treatment.

The real question, in my mind, is the role of free will. Every time an addict gets high, they're perpetuating their addiction - to what degree should this be considered a choice v. a response to the pain of withdrawal and the neurochemical alterations caused by extended exposure to the drug? What's the crucial differentiating factor which causes one addict to grit their teeth and push through the withdrawal/comedown/general bad feelings while another addict (or the same one, at a different time) says "fuck it" and decides to just get high again?

Last edited: