• H&R Moderators: VerbalTruist | cdin | Lil'LinaptkSix

Diet Do you need carbs to build muscle?

paranoid android

Moderator: TDS
Staff member
Since i went on zyprexa a year ago i have been on a low carb diet (about 100 grams a day) and also lifting weights. I see some people say that just a high protein diet is good enough for building muscle but some people say you also need carbs. How important are they in building muscle?

Protein is what will allow the generation of new muscle fibers, but having the 3 macronutrients in balance is essential for muscle development. Carbohydrates will give you energy for better training and fill your muscles with glycogen and lipids are necessary for the synthesis of hormones such as testosterone. So, yes, you will need to eat enough carbs.

It is better to consult with a nutritionist how many carbohydrates you need for muscle hypertrophy.

You don't want to be on a low fat diet while taking Zyprexa. Carbs should be restricted, and ideally you should be taking something like metformin. Try to get good fats - olive oil is an easy one you can add to any meal.

You don't need as much protein as is claimed on the internet. Just make sure it is good protein from ocean caught fish or organic meat or eggs. It is better to have lower quantities of high quality protein than large quantities of garbage protein. Avoid protein supplements, especially those made of whey.

I think one needs carbs to have the energy to do what one sets out to do. Just my take I think. No gas no go.
I used to eat well and get buff decades ago but the results seem to remain mostly just breaking down.
But yeah I gotta get something in my stomach before I make any move pretty much.

I think one needs carbs to have the energy to do what one sets out to do. Just my take I think. No gas no go.
I used to eat well and get buff decades ago but the results seem to remain mostly just breaking down.
But yeah I gotta get something in my stomach before I make any move pretty much.

This is true but usually i find the amount of sugar i have in my coffee every morning is enough. Ive heard jasmine rice is good for helping build muscle to but dont know how true that is.

This is true but usually i find the amount of sugar i have in my coffee every morning is enough. Ive heard jasmine rice is good for helping build muscle to but dont know how true that is.
I eat jasmine rice almost daily (by chance) but watch for "fake" sugars iirc it tricks the body at some point and health issues arise (insulin thing I think? )
Be well.
Peace