• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

Stimulants Do Xanax and Adderall cancel each other out?

speedy933

Greenlighter
Hey guys so i was wondering if combing the two normally cancel each other out, I took 2 mgs of xanax about 3 hrs ago and then snorted a 20 mg line of adderall and i don't feel a thing. great feedback much appreciated!

No it's a great combo one of my favs personally I wouldn't do amps without a benzo in hand

I've been told that mixing CNS Stimulants with CNS Depressants is like making your body go two different "directions" at once which in turn is increased stress on your heart and nervous system. Not to say I haven't tried this combo before and enjoyed it but its not something that should be mixed often. Anyone correct me if I'm wrong.

I dont think thats an issue in this case. The usual risk is overdoing the downers or uppers and having the other wear off and getting into trouble. There are other situations where opposite effects are damaging like taking beta blockers to counter stimulant heart related stuff but thats more heart specific stuff. Uppers and downers would work fine together as they work in separate ways completely and the effects would combine for better or worse depending on your personal requiremenets.

They don't compete for a specific function so there is no risk of related issues, like for example taking different types of Serotonin drugs together might cause issues.

So stimulants and your user GABA downers should be fine in theory, dosage and other considerations aside.

Meth and small dose valium for example is a nice combo, takes the edge off but doesnt reduce the euphoria of the stim, only masks the negative stimulation or anxiety

Ive googled this topic to death and based on what I've read, it really does come down to personal preference.

Some people feel that even a small dose of benzos can take away from the amps effects and those people tend to save the benzos till they start to crash.

Others, like myself, enjoy the combo but I prefer to keep the benzo dose low where it's just enough to smooth out the stimulant effects. Then once the come down starts to hit I take a bigger dose of the benzo.

They don't technically cancel each other out, but they do counteract the subjective, desirable effects "feeling high"..

Benzos aren't really CNS depressants, but they do potentiate the CNS depressant effects of some other drugs.

If you take benzos on top of amphetamine, it can overpower the feeling of the amphetamine, and vice-versa...but it's important to remember, that benzos don't directly diminish the stimulant effects of adderall, so taking too many benzos could cause some people to redose with a dangerous amount of adderall..

The combination of both drugs isn't strictly contraindicated, and are prescribed together often...so, in reasonable amounts, it's not a particularly dangerous combo...

In practice, the perceived "canceling out" effect of these drugs can lead to people redosing high amounts of both, trying to "balance out" the high....and that can cause all the problems normally associated with taking high doses of both drugs...fast heart rate and tingly and jittery from the amphetamines, and loss of coordination, mood changes, memory loss and blackouts from the alprazolam...

Take care when using this combination, but have a set limit on how much you're going to take of each in the beginning, and dose low on the benzos or you won't feel the Adderall at all...

This is a combination I personally enjoy, but I've had difficulty finding the right dosing balance in the past....

Last edited:
It's not a dangerous combo. It does not cause any extra strain on the heart.

The xanax will cancel out the adderall if the dosage is high enough. Obviously this depends on your personal tolerance.

In low dose however, benzos go great with stimulants. For anyone who is easily prone to anxiety, they will smooth out the high and make it much more enjoyable. Just don't dose too high.

Yes, a *small* amount of xanax with a moderate to large dose of amphetamines are a great mood stabilizer. 60-70mgs of amphetamine (I am not​ recommending that dose) along with .5-1mg of xanax is very very euphoric.

I also think that it's a combination that "loses it's magic" if done too often, and both drugs carry a high risk of becoming psychologically dependent, so I think it's best done sparingly...

I also think that it's a combination that "loses it's magic" if done too often, and both drugs carry a high risk of becoming psychologically dependent, so I think it's best done sparingly...

Agreed. Particularly on the benzo part of the equation but the risk is definitely there for both.

What about alcohol and amps. How does that differ from benzos. Are their increased health risks and why?

thanks guys, upon further research i found that there should be around .5mg of xanax for every 20 mg of adderall.

I'd say the ratio is more like 1mg of klonopin/xanax/ativan per 60-90mg of d-meth/amphetamine. It's all a matter of preference, everyone is different... I have a high tolerance to both benzos and amphetamines... Stay safe, stay informed.

i really enjoy this combo, just keep the benzo dose low. also if you're using it to get shit done rather than for purely recreational purposes skip the benzo till the comedown.

I have been prescribed both. I personally find neither that "enjoyable" in a recreational sense.

The only way I see them going together is if you took Adderall and then during the comedown wanted to go to sleep so you took Xanax.

I've been told that mixing CNS Stimulants with CNS Depressants is like making your body go two different "directions" at once which in turn is increased stress on your heart and nervous system. Not to say I haven't tried this combo before and enjoyed it but its not something that should be mixed often. Anyone correct me if I'm wrong.

There are no unusual reactions or risks like what you're describing when it comes to combining stimulants and depressants, with the exception of beta blockers, or so I've read/heard from my doctor. You're good to go, but timing and dosage of both drugs with respect to each other makes a big difference in how you're going to feel. I get the best results (most positive effects of both, and the least negative effects of both) when I take 0.2mg of clonidine and 2mg xanax right before I know I'm going to crash from adderall/vyvanse, but everyone's different. If you can find clonidine, take it, it takes care of most things benzos can't, when it comes to minimizing comedowns/negative stimulant side effects.

Watch out for addiction potential especially if you use adderall daily for college or work, there was a time when finding some benzos every day for my late-afternoon comedown nearly took over my life. It's common.

The addiction of adderal and Xanax are strong. With adderall I felt I needed it just to get motivated to do anything (even things as simple as laundry) and the Xanax I took at night only became a physical addiction. Which I am still addicted to. Working on tapering now for a while. It's a tough one

Ahhh man, no way this is one of the best combos imo. I would take 70mg vyvanse with 1.5-2.5mg klonopin and the speed gives you that nice happy euphoric talkative high, and the benzos along with the speed gives you a nice comfy, anxiety free, edge free relaxing feeling like a warm blanket wrapped around you and your so happy and talkative and care free but its a different type of carelessness then your normal benzo buzz bc the speed. Its kinda hard to put into words but a damn good combination, thats for sure.

EDIT: these were actually the effects I got when I took 2 70mg vys and the same amount of clonazepam I listed above.

Last edited:
I never do Adderall, but I snort a lot of amphetamine powder while I'm on Xanax, and it was always ok. IMO Klonopin goes way better with amphetamine, because to me it's not sedating at all, only takes off the edge of the amph. But as I said I never had a problem with snorting on Xans neither. I do amphetamine to boost up my confidence, and Xanax has nothin to do with that.

I'm not a doctor, so don't take it as an advice, it's just my story.