• Cannabis Discussion Welcome Guest
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules

do stems still have medical value?

Paultoombes

Bluelighter
as much fun as weedis, i do actually have a quasi medical purpose for using it. I have diagnosed insomnia, and weed helps me fall asleep. I don't really have to smoke that much because my weed is weirdly strong. Just like a couple hits almost knocks me the fuck out.

So my question is this, can stems get you high enough to sleep? i have a shitload of stems, and i want to know if they're useful or not.

I do have bud, as well as a really trusted source that is available %75+ of the time, but I'm saving my weed for some plans next week, and i dont wanna buy anymore right now.

last night i was able to get some sleep, but it wasn't very restful. So will stems/seeds/shake that i have like 1-2grams of do any good?

Use isprpoylalcohol to make hash oil! Just get a jar, add stems/etc, add iso, shake for 10-30 seconds, then filter through a coffee filter. Let the ISO evaporate and bam hash!

Use isprpoylalcohol to make hash oil! Just get a jar, add stems/etc, add iso, shake for 10-30 seconds, then filter through a coffee filter. Let the ISO evaporate and bam hash!

how long would this process take overall? is this better than just smoking them?

Stems can't get you high, but they can make handy toothpicks or have other similar medical uses.

how long would this process take overall?

Gathering materials? Several minutes if you've got them in the house.

Iso-extraction? 30sec-1min (repeating is okay, but you'll extract more plant matter than some people would prefer)

Coffee filter filtration? 1-2min

Evaporation? Fuckin'.... 24-48hrs depending on how much iso' you use (air dry time-- you can speed it up, but it involves putting your iso' over a heat-source and, preferably, some kind of ventilation, but I've always felt it was dangerous to speed up this process that way)

It's super easy to do, you just have to have the patience to let it dry out all the way, ya know?

Stems can't get you high, but they can make handy toothpicks or have other similar medical uses.

Those pretty little trichomes that sometimes manage to attach themselves to and cover stems can get you pretty lifted, though.

But yeah, though, stems themselves are useless outside of that.... unless someone just needs a weed flavored stick for whatever reason.

What everyone is saying is true. You need to do an extraction.

There's no active cannabinoids within ANY of the vegatative plant matter what so ever. Everything lies within the glandular head of the trichome.

Even smoking the dankest bud, it's like ordering a pizza and eating the box too. All you want is the pizza which is the trichomes. Nothing else is benneficial.

What everyone is saying is true. You need to do an extraction.

There's no active cannabinoids within ANY of the vegatative plant matter what so ever. Everything lies within the glandular head of the trichome.

Even smoking the dankest bud, it's like ordering a pizza and eating the box too. All you want is the pizza which is the trichomes. Nothing else is benneficial.

I was always under the impression that the buds themselves DO contain a bit of psychoactive material, it's just that a majority of the stuff is in the trichomes.

There's definitely a big difference between smoking close-to-kiefless midgrade and smoking stems; I can guarantee that, at least....

yeah so i did an extraction, and after a little work i've ended up with a nice redish amber (brown) colored liquid. now i've done many cwe's so instinct is telling me to drink it. But i'll let the excess water evaporate (all the isopropyl is gone as far as i can tell based on smell). i had 70% isopropyl so it's probably gonna take alot longer.

now i've done many cwe's so instinct is telling me to drink it. But i'll let the excess water evaporate (all the isopropyl is gone as far as i can tell based on smell).

Don't you fucking drink it, man, jesus christ.

70% will also have done a less efficient extraction, but an extraction nonetheless.

My rule of thumb: wait until everything dries and clings to the glass dish I let it evaporate in. Then I bust out a razor blade and carefully scrape it clean. The end product should be dry as fuck doing it this way, man. Little chunks that crumble into powder (basically kief) when you apply too much pressure. If it's gooey or sticky, you should wait it out.

Don't you fucking drink it, man, jesus christ.

70% will also have done a less efficient extraction, but an extraction nonetheless.

My rule of thumb: wait until everything dries and clings to the glass dish I let it evaporate in. Then I bust out a razor blade and carefully scrape it clean. The end product should be dry as fuck doing it this way, man. Little chunks that crumble into powder (basically kief) when you apply too much pressure. If it's gooey or sticky, you should wait it out.

lol, thanks for the advice.

Gathering materials? Several minutes if you've got them in the house.

Iso-extraction? 30sec-1min (repeating is okay, but you'll extract more plant matter than some people would prefer)

Coffee filter filtration? 1-2min

Evaporation? Fuckin'.... 24-48hrs depending on how much iso' you use (air dry time-- you can speed it up, but it involves putting your iso' over a heat-source and, preferably, some kind of ventilation, but I've always felt it was dangerous to speed up this process that way)

It's super easy to do, you just have to have the patience to let it dry out all the way, ya know?

Those pretty little trichomes that sometimes manage to attach themselves to and cover stems can get you pretty lifted, though.

But yeah, though, stems themselves are useless outside of that.... unless someone just needs a weed flavored stick for whatever reason.

They're not really trichomes, just hairs with no trichome head, you can see there's no hash on them if you look really closely, with a microscope or a good magnifying glass.

So there's nothing good to extract from twigs/stems, any extract will just be a bit of sludge that doesn't get you high. The trichome heads are what get you high & they don't grow on stems.

They have a bit of a pleasant herby taste if you chew them.

Hell yeah son cook them bitches in some tea i use to do it all the time look up recipe online but wait till you get like a half oz worth of stem

They're not really trichomes, just hairs with no trichome head, you can see there's no hash on them if you look really closely, with a microscope or a good magnifying glass.

Son of a....

To be fair, though, I was referring to loose stems that you throw right back in the weed bag. It always seemed like once the tree is gone, those loose stems attract a whole lot of good stuff that doesn't actually grow on them.

I see what you mean about the stems with bud still on them, though. I don't recall ever in my life breaking a nug down to the stem only to reveal a "crystally," glistening stem underneath it all. That shit only happens when I pull a loose stem out of a bag that either has weed in it or has been used enough in the past that that shit is an opaqueish-yellow from all the residue leftover instead of the usual clear.

For some reason, I always throw my stems back in the bag instead of straight in the trash. Idk why, because I literally don't do anything with them except throw them away when I'm done with the bag.

Fresh stems often have little hairs that look like trichome stalks & could be mistaken for trichomes in the wrong light if you're not looking closely enough, but no trichome head or 'crystal' will form on them & there is nothing on a stem that could get you high.

You could weave a small basket to keep your medical items in.

I just stick full buds in my vaporizer, no messing about, doesn't matter if there's a stick in it, larger twigs I put in my avb jar to add a little herby flavour to the avb when I cook it with milk.

Stem tea will just taste a bit herby & not get you high too.

You could maybe use the fibres from the middle of the stems, make string, cloth or a bit of rope. If you're really good maybe make your own rolling papers.

Last edited: