• BASIC DRUG
    DISCUSSION
    Welcome to Bluelight!
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
    Benzo Chart Opioids Chart
    Drug Terms Need Help??
    Drugs 101 Brain & Addiction
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums
  • BDD Moderators: Keif’ Richards | negrogesic

Opioids Do people actually like methadone recreationally?

it’s a very powerful drug and a few of the people i used to use with way back.. we would wonder why some people didn’t like it. I think it’s because by the time people get on methadone they are so physically dependent that you’re likely not getting off anyway. It also may be psychological as some people may look at it as a medication and not a very strong drug.

People using metadone in conjunction with a GABA-centric Receptor Modulating substance like Benzos or Pregabalin swear by it. Methadone cannot produce euphoria per se, but when combined with the aforementioned substances, off to the races. There is a huge & very dangerois "blackout" (i.e. Amnesiac interval. Again, forget about euphoria, sedation though is very heavy. A large number of folks primarily seek sedation.

People using metadone in conjunction with a GABA-centric Receptor Modulating substance like Benzos or Pregabalin swear by it. Methadone cannot produce euphoria per se, but when combined with the aforementioned substances, off to the races. There is a huge & very dangerois "blackout" (i.e. Amnesiac interval. Again, forget about euphoria, sedation though is very heavy. A large number of folks primarily seek sedation.
Oh yeah my history of bupe and xanax has steered me well clear of combining methadone and xanax. Now i got kids and last time i tried xanax i didnt like it. But i used to absolutely love that combo. Swore off driving and being in public for a long long time because i just had to get blotto daily. Then after 8 months i drove one mile to blockbuster. Woke up the next day with a severely dented car and no recollection. The novel trainspotting reserves the most downright fear and scary zombie like behavior for methadone and benzos and bupe and benzos that should

Oh yeah my history of bupe and xanax has steered me well clear of combining methadone and xanax. Now i got kids and last time i tried xanax i didnt like it. But i used to absolutely love that combo. Swore off driving and being in public for a long long time because i just had to get blotto daily. Then after 8 months i drove one mile to blockbuster. Woke up the next day with a severely dented car and no recollection. The novel trainspotting reserves the most downright fear and scary zombie like behavior for methadone and benzos and bupe and benzos that should
Can you imagine that I nevrr saw that film? I remember everyone here on BL going on about a character fishing dope out of the loo bwaaaaaaha. That encapsulates addiction to me.

I am glad that you no longer do it now that you have kids. Me? Last time I did it was during the Covid Era in NYC during the preliminaries for a new job in Teterboro in New Jersey. I took my daily prescription of 240 mg of methadone & just half of a Stick.

I was staying with my mate as I always do when I am there. I took advantage of downtime to get a full set of dentures. I do not know how I ended up on the subway as the dentist was 1 building away from where I was staying.

I remember walking to some takeaway. The next thing I remember getting off the subwsy in Brighton Beach st the bottom of Brooklyn. I walked to the other side, & that was the last I remember of the entire experirnce. In the morning I found that I had lost the bottom denture. The combination is extremely potent.

I have not…. Curious now 🧐
Be very careful with tapentadol! I have a high opiate/opioid tolerance so I tried taking the daily max dose (can't recall what that is but easy to look up) and it made me feel so heavy that I could barely stand up. I had no balance and just stayed in bed waiting for it to wear of or kill me.

The first time I took methadone it seemed like a very clean high. I had been addicted to heroin for 3 years and that first 30 mg dose was wonderful. I have since used for decades and now I can't even get a buzz from fentanyl and methadone only keeps me from being sick. Seems like nothing gets me high anymore.

Last edited:
I miss the sleep I'd get on it but it was hell getting off and made me lazy so I'd never touch it again.
I know people who have been on it years and still get high. I wish it would do that because it works great for pain

Methadone absolutely can produce euphoria.

Unless you're just referring to people who are tolerant to it & on it already, then yeah. Most opioids use their euphoria after awhile.

I feel like benzos & such aren't the greatest mix with opioids IMO. It's not going to bring about the same opioid euphoria, it's just adding another drugs effects ontop of the opioid. And since benzos can actually decrease neurotransmitter release, you can actually prevent or kill euphoria from drugs with a benzo.

Benzos can cause euphoria for some people though on their own, but it's usually because if you have anxiety & take something, you might feel a little euphoric from the relief of your anxiety.

In general though, throwing benzos or pregablin ontop of opioids is going to increase sedation & risk for respiratory depression, all for vague euphoria, that you might not even get every time.

The best way to get euphoria back from methadone would be either opioid rotation or dose reduction for a few days. Way less risky then trying to throw more drugs ontop of it.

I personally have been on opioids for 16+ years now & I don't particularly 'seek sedation" from them. Opioids make me energized, content, blissful, creative, sensual, etc... So that's what I expect from an opioid when I use one. The sedation is generally just a side effect & depending on the opioid, is some times transient or presents itself as this dual stimulated/sedated feeling.

If people are looking for sedation, they could find it in a million other drugs that are way more sedating than opioids. I think people mistakenly believe that sedation makes a drug worthwhile, but that's just not necessarily the case. After all, if it was just 'sedation' that I cared about, I'd go get black out drunk & skip having an opioid problem altogether.

Methadone absolutely can produce euphoria.

Unless you're just referring to people who are tolerant to it & on it already, then yeah. Most opioids use their euphoria after awhile.

I feel like benzos & such aren't the greatest mix with opioids IMO. It's not going to bring about the same opioid euphoria, it's just adding another drugs effects ontop of the opioid. And since benzos can actually decrease neurotransmitter release, you can actually prevent or kill euphoria from drugs with a benzo.

Benzos can cause euphoria for some people though on their own, but it's usually because if you have anxiety & take something, you might feel a little euphoric from the relief of your anxiety.

In general though, throwing benzos or pregablin ontop of opioids is going to increase sedation & risk for respiratory depression, all for vague euphoria, that you might not even get every time.

The best way to get euphoria back from methadone would be either opioid rotation or dose reduction for a few days. Way less risky then trying to throw more drugs ontop of it.

I personally have been on opioids for 16+ years now & I don't particularly 'seek sedation" from them. Opioids make me energized, content, blissful, creative, sensual, etc... So that's what I expect from an opioid when I use one. The sedation is generally just a side effect & depending on the opioid, is some times transient or presents itself as this dual stimulated/sedated feeling.

If people are looking for sedation, they could find it in a million other drugs that are way more sedating than opioids. I think people mistakenly believe that sedation makes a drug worthwhile, but that's just not necessarily the case. After all, if it was just 'sedation' that I cared about, I'd go get black out drunk & skip having an opioid problem altogether.
Uh, no. Euphoria is not a subjective value. It is quantified by tail flick, sphincter contraction, etc. It can only ever be produced by opioids meeting a specific 4 part axiom known as the "Morphine Rule." Methadone is missing 1 of those 4. If you care to, I have posted about it on BL several dozen times if not more. Search my old name, "Rachamim18."

Benzos cannot possibly produce euphoria. Look, people have drugs of choice because people love the effects of particular substances. Take a person riddled with Anxiety. Xanax makes them whole. That is not euphoria. It CAN be confused with euphoria. For most users the issue is not really important. All they care about is feeling good, whether that may be euphoria or otherwise.

Rotating opioids is not going to mean anything one way or the other. It is not as if they will prevent anything good or bad.

Be very careful with tapentadol! I have a high opiate/opioid tolerance so I tried taking the daily max dose (can't recall what that is but easy to look up) and it made me feel so heavy that I could barely stand up. I had no balance and just stayed in bed waiting for it to wear of or kill me.

The first time I took methadone it seemed like a very clean high. I had been addicted to heroin for 3 years and that first 30 mg dose was wonderful. I have since used for decades and now I can't even get a buzz from fentanyl and methadone only keeps me from being sick. Seems like nothing gets me high anymore.
Between 70 & 80mgs of methadone taken once daily for 2 to 4 weeks will prevent any psychoactive results from other opioids. The super-high receptor affinity is the reason why.

Uh, no. Euphoria is not a subjective value. It is quantified by tail flick, sphincter contraction, etc. It can only ever be produced by opioids meeting a specific 4 part axiom known as the "Morphine Rule." Methadone is missing 1 of those 4. If you care to, I have posted about it on BL several dozen times if not more. Search my old name, "Rachamim18."

Benzos cannot possibly produce euphoria. Look, people have drugs of choice because people love the effects of particular substances. Take a person riddled with Anxiety. Xanax makes them whole. That is not euphoria. It CAN be confused with euphoria. For most users the issue is not really important. All they care about is feeling good, whether that may be euphoria or otherwise.

Rotating opioids is not going to mean anything one way or the other. It is not as if they will prevent anything good or bad.
We are talking about SUBJECTIVE euphoria.
Can a person with no to low tolerance experience euphoria from methadone? They absolutely can. Will it be the same as morphine/heroin euphoria? Of course not.

Methadone is also NMDA antagonist. Are you gonna tell me NMDA antagonists don't cause any euphoria either?

Regarding your second paragraph, you basically restated what I had already said about benzos. People love doing this on this site. They attack me and say "no you're wrong!" and then proceed to correct me by saying the exact same thing I said, just worded differently.

Opioid rotation is meaningless?

"Opioid rotation refers to a switch from one opioid to another in an effort to improve the response to analgesic therapy or reduce adverse effects. It is a common method to address the problem of poor opioid responsiveness despite optimal dose titration."

Rotating opioids is a common practice for reducing tolerance, side effects, etc.... But you should know this since you're oh so smart, right?

I’ve noticed that some people like it & others don’t.it depends i guess. I don’t dislike it but I mostly don’t like it’s crazy long half life & I’d prefer other opiates/opioids.even suboxone if I haven’t used in a long time & tolerance is lower. But I’ve noticed the people I know that do like it, they mostly just really really love nodding out, instead of just being high & awake.functional. Or high but only a tiny bit of occasional nodding.

We are talking about SUBJECTIVE euphoria.
Can a person with no to low tolerance experience euphoria from methadone? They absolutely can. Will it be the same as morphine/heroin euphoria? Of course not.

Methadone is also NMDA antagonist. Are you gonna tell me NMDA antagonists don't cause any euphoria either?

Regarding your second paragraph, you basically restated what I had already said about benzos. People love doing this on this site. They attack me and say "no you're wrong!" and then proceed to correct me by saying the exact same thing I said, just worded differently.

Opioid rotation is meaningless?

"Opioid rotation refers to a switch from one opioid to another in an effort to improve the response to analgesic therapy or reduce adverse effects. It is a common method to address the problem of poor opioid responsiveness despite optimal dose titration."

Rotating opioids is a common practice for reducing tolerance, side effects, etc.... But you should know this since you're oh so smart, right?
On "subjective euphoria," moving goalposts during a game is ridiculous, and really, I am trying not to be snide or insulting. It is like a drowning man flailing, crazed attempts at not sinking, in this case, under the weight of a failed argument.

As for "rotating opioids," it is done subject to equiagesic tables, under medical supervision. As you now state, the idea is to refine analgesia. If you are discussing hospice or pallative analgesia, you bet. If you are discussing subjectivity, as you now claim about "euphoria," not at all. If I was trying to be demeaning I would note how you again move goalposts.

I get it. You like methadone. A fair share do but I have never met a junky that ever claimed methadone was (subjectively) euphoric- aside from its chemical composition not allowing for it. It is why methadone clinics NEVER have retention above single to low teen percentiles. Most junkies look for euphoria. They look for a "rush" which they conflate with (subjective) euphoria.

Lastly, "rotation" is not used to address tolerance, but rather subjective complaints of a lack of ananlgesia or clinically observed allergic reactions. It has zero to do with what you are claiming.

Trying to insult me is a wasted effort. Instead, research these issues. Educating consumers is the goal of this site & this specific forum especially. We are not in a pi**ing contest here.

On "subjective euphoria," moving goalposts during a game is ridiculous, and really, I am trying not to be snide or insulting. It is like a drowning man flailing, crazed attempts at not sinking, in this case, under the weight of a failed argument.

As for "rotating opioids," it is done subject to equiagesic tables, under medical supervision. As you now state, the idea is to refine analgesia. If you are discussing hospice or pallative analgesia, you bet. If you are discussing subjectivity, as you now claim about "euphoria," not at all. If I was trying to be demeaning I would note how you again move goalposts.

I get it. You like methadone. A fair share do but I have never met a junky that ever claimed methadone was (subjectively) euphoric- aside from its chemical composition not allowing for it. It is why methadone clinics NEVER have retention above single to low teen percentiles. Most junkies look for euphoria. They look for a "rush" which they conflate with (subjective) euphoria.

Lastly, "rotation" is not used to address tolerance, but rather subjective complaints of a lack of ananlgesia or clinically observed allergic reactions. It has zero to do with what you are claiming.

Trying to insult me is a wasted effort. Instead, research these issues. Educating consumers is the goal of this site & this specific forum especially. We are not in a pi**ing contest here.
"We are not in a pissing contest here"...

Oh, is that why your ass came in here & turned it into one?

Opioid rotation DOES address tolerance you imbecile. I've done it myself a million fucking times.
Have a high tolerance to heroin? Try using hydrocodone/tramadol/etc for a few days while your heroin tolerance goes down. Incredibly simple fucking concept that you can't seem to grasp, because it would shatter your ego.

What do you think would cause lack of analgesia? Gee, I wonder if a high tolerance could?

We aren't talking about people in hospice. Chronic pain patients ALSO use opioid rotation. Opioid rotation in general can benefit anyone, a junkie, a chronic pain patient or some one in hospice.

No actually, I don't "like methadone" per se, I hardly have any experience with methadone except using it recreationally in the past. And it indeed give me a subjective euphoria. Not the same as heroin euphoria but that's an obvious given.

The OP asked if methadone is recreational. I said yes because recreational effects are subjective. Some people enjoy drinking, but I don't. Some people enjoy huffing air duster, but I don't. And I bet all of the people that do would describe it as being 'recreational' or 'euphoric'. Who am I to tell them "Well no, that's impossible that you feel that way!"...

Then you come in here & start talking about "the morphine rule" and how it's impossible for anyone to get euphoria from methadone (basically dismissing everyone's experiences in here). So who's really moving goalposts? Euphoria isn't even necessarily needed for 'recreation' anyway.

Whether or not a drug gives a rush doesn't mean it isn't capable of being euphoric or recreational either. I like how you generalize all "junkies" too, as if we're all a monolith.

You're not educating anyone by trying to argue with me, so you've already failed at your stated mission.

Yes

For folks who are naive to Opioids, Methadone can feel pretty great; the quintessential Opioid experience. There are some things that complicate this, however.

For a "naive" individual with limited knowledge of how drugs work, Methadone tends to present problems. The majority of drugs a person will take by mouth will be absorbed at the "normal" rate, taking effect within ~30mins and peaking within 90mins. For a young-gun thinking they know a thing or two about drugs, it's extremely easy to take more when then drug "isn't working" and then end up extremely ill.

Ending up extremely ill is possible for any person naive to Opioids. If you take a potent Opioid like Methadone then take twice as much as would've already had you sick, well, you'll read plenty of stories of people extremely ill for periods as long as 24 or even 48 hours.

For a naive individual, Methadone could be every bit as euphoric as any other Opioid.

We know that the "likeability" of a drug is directly tied to the rate at which it takes effect. We know that Crack Cocaine is typically more addictive than insufflated Cocaine. We know that addicts would rather inject a drug then swallow it.

With all of this in mind, we can see that Methadone could easily get a naive individual a euphoric experience. However, for someone with experience, Methadone's pharmacokinetics, primarily it's longer onset/peak make it less abusable than a drug that could say, be insufflated or injected.

In closing, Methadone's pharmacokinetics are primarily what separate it from other commonly used Opioids. Still, I wouldn't consider an "instantaneous" Methadone to be as good as Morphine either.

Just for the sake of discussion, check out the documentary "Reindeer Spotting". In short, the only Opioid freely available up in their part of Finland was Buprenorphine (Subutex). You'll find that even a drug as "shitty" as Buprenorphine can produce a thriving community of addicts who are more than happy to use it.

Can you imagine that I nevrr saw that film? I remember everyone here on BL going on about a character fishing dope out of the loo bwaaaaaaha. That encapsulates addiction to me.

I am glad that you no longer do it now that you have kids. Me? Last time I did it was during the Covid Era in NYC during the preliminaries for a new job in Teterboro in New Jersey. I took my daily prescription of 240 mg of methadone & just half of a Stick.

I was staying with my mate as I always do when I am there. I took advantage of downtime to get a full set of dentures. I do not know how I ended up on the subway as the dentist was 1 building away from where I was staying.

I remember walking to some takeaway. The next thing I remember getting off the subwsy in Brighton Beach st the bottom of Brooklyn. I walked to the other side, & that was the last I remember of the entire experirnce. In the morning I found that I had lost the bottom denture. The combination is extremely potent.

Wait, are you the former bluelighter Rachamin?

When I had carries sometimes Id double dose and it felt good
Yeah, as did I, even triple. There comes a time unfortunately when even triple lacks sedation. I hesitated to try & tweak it with a benzo- other than the time I mentioned. I always worried about that amnesia.