• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

Opioids Do opioids make you soft?

It is a medically accepted fact that people who quit using opiates after an extended period of use will be more sensitive to pain than they normally would be (for some time after acute w/d). I forget if there is a specific term for it. It would happen to everyone to some degree but will be more pronounced in certain people, obviously because everyone is different.

Hyperalgesia is the term you're looking for. It can occur even during active opiate use and it subsides after discontinuation slowly or quickly.

I was on opiates for 2 1/2 years (well suboxone 3 weeks of the month Opana the other week) I've been off for about a month. I've always been lazy, but it would be even worse now if I didn't take Dexedrine everyday. That 5HTP and a multivitamin are all I need. The first few days even after withdrawal I was sleeping till 6 in the afternoon, and Laying in bed from wake to sleep. Dexedrine and 5HTP change all those lethargic feelings into life actually having a purpose again.

I cant stress this enough. The DMT entities and psychedelics in general are the only reason I quit in the first place. If you have a trip in which you are able to see the self destructive nature you are living your life on opiates and just the way you act like a selfish asshole for no reason to the ones you love the most. I've seen a lot of opiate addicts and whether they are the thieving king or the kind that can actually afford their addiction (usually through enablers) they all (including myself) were and are complete selfish assholes that expected the world owed them something. I'm not being cruel, it's an illness I'm just calling it how it is. If you struggle with any addiction opiates, benzos, coke, meth, alcohol then do yourself a favor and start taking psychedelics in the right setting with a sitter the first few times. Psychedelics made me make the decision to stop smoking crack a few years ago. Never went through benzo, meth, or alcohol. Then I got into opiate dependency and smoked DMT a few times and one of those times I they let me know what I had to do. So I feel great a month after opiate addiction, but I'd say I'd be just as lazy if I didn't have my Dexedrine have me going. I would suggest it to any doctor you see if they know of your opiate problem.

I think that opiates severely mess with motivation. They give an incredible boost when you begin taking them, but after awhile, your body becomes dependent on them, and without them you have a serious lack of motivation. It does come back eventually, though, so push yourself to do stuff for now.

Yeah, I agree with this. It's hard to get motivated.I think what the OP is experiencing is protracted PAWS combined with a mild depression.

In PAWS you have to really try and get yourself out of your comfort zone otherwise it can become a long-term character trait of yourself.

Try different stuff: eat different food, different drink, walk different routes, if you use the web a lot - stop, if you watch TV a lot - stop, talk to other people.

Introducing new things into your life can get you over PAWS - I know its hard, but with persistence it can be done. How long have you been clean, and how

long did you use before that/frequency/amounts?

My pain management doctor told me that using opioids prevents the body from producing endorphines. Maybe this is partly why you can feel apathetic or no motivation. I'm the same way, I don't want to really do anything but stay inside my room unless I've taken a decent dose of pain medicine.

What was it? is talking sense man. Took some of the words right off my fingers.

Suessmayr I remember chatting with you bout oxazepam a while back, you seem like a decent chap, i'm guessing you're in a bad headspace that will be transient. Just mix things up a bit like whatss his name said above.

Do you ever check out the healthy living forum? Its quite fun, i used to post there quite often but last night i clicked on this thread while feeling a bit listless myself & i remebered that cold baths can make you feel really quite great!

I'm not kidding man i know you said something about hypersensitivity but i dont like cold baths themselves either. Its how i feel after that i love. You only need to fully immerse yourself for 2 minutes or so (if you stay still after a little bit your skin starts to actually feel warm!) then when you get out you begin to feel a very pleasant body buzz (read all about the scienc of this in the cold baths/showers thread ;)

Right there you have an endorphin & god knows what else, body high-type source of pleasure on tap!

i never did like opiates, i always found their buzz a waste of time unless it was dissociative like a high dose of vicodin or like salvia. by the way, opiates are known to severely lower testosterone (male sex hormone).

I thought the same way, but that changed when I used a few heavy opiates, I like them no.

Happens to me when i use sometimes. Other than that sex lasts forever and ever so I just get tired and quit.

I totally relate. I've posted some of this in another thread but..basically, my history of being addicted to H is--got strung out at 18. Used nonstop for 2-3 years and began process of trying to get sober. Since that time my using has been marked by prolonged periods of sobriety (1 yr, 2 yrs, 3.5 yrs and 4 yrs) with in between those periods short bouts of binging (2-3 months). But for the last year I have been using now. I have kicked the habit for the last couple months but am not "sober" or engaged in recovery like I was in past. While I was def fed up with the monkey on my back, I no longer had that true desire to be clean. And part of it I believe is because of, aggravated by or marked by the symptoms you just described. I moved bc I got a good job, I am a professional and I work 40 hrs a week. But 40 hrs is exhausting to me. I will fall asleep sitting up in my chair in my office. My place is a wreck bc it's too taxing to put dishes in a dishwasher or clothes in a washing machine. I have money but am exhausted by thinking about going to grocery store. I am doing the work that I always wanted to do and used to be passionate about and yet it brings me little joy. I have very low sex drive and traditionally it has been on high side. I have everything to live for and my future is potentially quite bright but at 32 yo I almosy feel ready to close up shop. I'm
Not going to kill myself but there are days when I just want to give up. Break the facade, "accept" the fact I am a junkie and always will be. Just forget the normal life and dive headfirst into getting a habit. I know there were times I loved being sober but I think I've maybe just fked myself over and gone back and forth too many times. Ggyt

Good to know I'm not the only one. It's not specifically pain or depression that I'm talking about (although I am definitely depressed) - it's more of a general reluctance to engage with the world. I think it has to do with testosterone.

I've been off bupe for between 5 and 6 months. I have relapsed a few times but never on consecutive days and I don't think it was enough to reset my progress. I take escitalopram and bupropion and have oxazepam PRN. I just feel so totally apathetic. I cannot bear to do anything these days - listen to music, read, hang out with people, watch a movie. These are the pleasurable things, so it's clear that the mundane things are just pushed aside.

It's really hard to ejaculate on opiates for most people myself included.

One time at a party I was on morphine (about 120 mg) and had a couple beers on top of that.... went to this chicks house and didn't end up fucking her even though I had the intention I would.

Pretty sad now that I look back at that memory... just nearly nodding and just passed out beside her.

The next day however I felt closer to her since I was still feeling the morphs euphoria.

Ok can I just clarify for everyone that this thread has nothing to do with penises? The sense in which I meant "soft" is totally non-sexual.

The everyday things required to keep my body alive, plus the additional requirements of keeping my girlfriend, are extremely annoying and frustrating to perform.
I would rather be playing skyrim with a needle full of bupe (used to be h).

However I realize I must do them and so I have devised a reward system, clean up the house have a shot, shave my face have a shot, have sex with my gf have a shot.

I have also removed all other things, pared down my requirements and responsabilitys, I don't work the government gives me money, I don't have friends as they want you to hang out and waste time, I don't have many hobbies, just computers, games and drugs.

This is actually the first time I have even bothered to talk to someone on the Internet even.

Only my gf gets my time.

Other things not only don't interest me, they are positively abhorrent.

People whinge about my lifestyle (not my gf) but I am content and happy the way things are.

My normal (cutting hitting) pain threshold has not changed as far as I can tell, but my tolerance to stress and 'living pain' back ache sickness headache, physical stress from manual exertion like labouring or physical training, ect ect has decreased markedly.

It's funny that I first sustained usage of opiates in order to work harder and faster at my job, which worked for a time, but now the same drug has rendered me physically and mentally unable to work anymore, even now that I have mostly quit h and only take bupe, mostly.

I was on opiates for 2 1/2 years (well suboxone 3 weeks of the month Opana the other week) I've been off for about a month. I've always been lazy, but it would be even worse now if I didn't take Dexedrine everyday. That 5HTP and a multivitamin are all I need. The first few days even after withdrawal I was sleeping till 6 in the afternoon, and Laying in bed from wake to sleep. Dexedrine and 5HTP change all those lethargic feelings into life actually having a purpose again.

I cant stress this enough. The DMT entities and psychedelics in general are the only reason I quit in the first place. If you have a trip in which you are able to see the self destructive nature you are living your life on opiates and just the way you act like a selfish asshole for no reason to the ones you love the most. I've seen a lot of opiate addicts and whether they are the thieving king or the kind that can actually afford their addiction (usually through enablers) they all (including myself) were and are complete selfish assholes that expected the world owed them something. I'm not being cruel, it's an illness I'm just calling it how it is. If you struggle with any addiction opiates, benzos, coke, meth, alcohol then do yourself a favor and start taking psychedelics in the right setting with a sitter the first few times. Psychedelics made me make the decision to stop smoking crack a few years ago. Never went through benzo, meth, or alcohol. Then I got into opiate dependency and smoked DMT a few times and one of those times I they let me know what I had to do. So I feel great a month after opiate addiction, but I'd say I'd be just as lazy if I didn't have my Dexedrine have me going. I would suggest it to any doctor you see if they know of your opiate problem.

Everyone's different man.

I'm glad you have been helped out of what to you was a problem.

I don't see MY drug use and addiction as selfish, for me, others may agree or not, it doesn't change what's true for me.

I don't believe that drug use is a problem, unless you both WANT to quit, and cannot.

I cannot quit, but I also don't want to quit, therefore I'm not in that category.

Addiction in of itself is not bad, we are all physically addicted to air, water, and food, also possibly sex ect ect, it's not the addiction that's harmful in of itself.

If you have a problem with drugs, then you have a problem, if you don't have a problem, then you don't.

Also just because drugs can have harmful effects, doesn't mean they are a problem, it's the effects that are the problem.
Eg driving your car may cause a problem like killing you, but the driving of the car is not the problem.
You don't just stop driving cars, you control the risks.
Unless, you actually WANT to stop driving cars because you don't like driving.

The same goes for people who want to use drugs and attempt to control the risks.
This is not selfishness on their part, or mine.
We only have one life, it would be selfish of others to deny me pleasures that only hurt myself.
As for your actions towards others because of your drug use, those you own, but many many drug users are very responsible when it comes to their habit and harming others in any way.

i was using for 2 years, went to rehab and started working out down there. the 4 months i was clean and working out every day was the most "non soft" aka HARD ive ever been. Like vascular and fit. Was running 6 miles and lifting, it was amazing. When i was using if i even ran up the STAIRS i got nauseous. so the answer is no, you can get very fit after quitting opiates, obviously there is a 5-7 day period during acute withdrawals where working out is probably not going to happen. but if you can get to the gym or run or do anything physical, it greatly helps with recovery time as well as getting HARD, the opposite of SOFT lol